How to decline USYD 2nd Round Offer? (1 Viewer)

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey all, I recently received an offer at UNSW for Combined Law and doubt that I would get a 2nd round offer for Law at USYD. Because of this I did not change the order of my preference, however when i checked yesterday, USYD has decided to offer me a Combined Law spot.

However because I already enrolled at UNSW and like the atmosphere there now, I decided that UNSW will be where I be studying and not USYD.

So can someone please let me know how I would decline the offer because I have to enrol tomorrow at USYD if I was to accept the offer. I am not sure what will happen if I don't rock up tomorrow. I want to declien this offer asap so someone else could take the spot in the Final round.

thanks for your help and I know its a stupid thing that I am doing but I shall not regret it I dont think.

HSC
what werer your original order of preferences? cos it sounds like you had UNSW first?

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
what werer your original order of preferences? cos it sounds like you had UNSW first?
long story cut short i chose UNSW Law over USYD Law, i logged into uac check and change to edit my details e.g. address and forgot to log out when I went to help mum. Came back screen closed after cousin(little boy) used it thinkign I closed it before hand. Next day after preferences for 2nd rounds are closed I logged in and found my preferences were all over the place.

To decline an offer just ignore it.
ok thanks. is it just that simple?

Can I have it?
sure why not d(^O^)b

HSC
ooooooooooohh..
ihope my friend gets it!

can i ask what your atar is? pm if u want.. i just want to know if he has a chance in the final rounds!
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
My atar is 99.30 but I was selected under the EAS scheme for 1st round. 2nd round not too sure probs EAS scheme too or just normal.

also i believe there are no vacancies left. So my spot could be the last spot and its probs highly compettive too. He?She be looking at least a 99.25

theMoment

HSC
if your an eas applicant, then you need 98.4 to get in to syd law...
does that he pass that?
if he isnt, then 99.7

aznchick44

HSC
N/A
Hey, what as your reasoning when you made your decisions? Frankly, I'm in the same situation and I'm still undecided - mainly cos I havent visited any of the campuses since open day or year 11 and dont really have any'preferences' atm.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, what as your reasoning when you made your decisions? Frankly, I'm in the same situation and I'm still undecided - mainly cos I havent visited any of the campuses since open day or year 11 and dont really have any'preferences' atm.
um there are several reasons but i will list a few. I guess one of the most important things for someone when studying is the opportunity to ask questions. At USYD law lectures are in groups of like 100 or 200 where as UNSW it is in groups of about 30. Although it is a lecture and you are meant to be listening only, chances that the lecture could turn into a semi tutorial or even the lecture will have a better chacne to know you better. This means askign question at end of class becomes mroe approachable as the lecturer will probs remember your enquiries and problems.

People say why bother when you already have tutorial? Well unlike some courses e.g. in commerce where every 2 hour of lectures u have, u get 1 tutorial. For law, its 1 tutorial per 4 hour of lecture or close to that. So during that tutorial u r covering half as much in detailed as a commerce student's tutorial.

Also it is ur first year in uni and just like anyone entering a new environment, they look to see if anyone they know is there. Most of my friends are doing commerce at UNSW so they can help me with commerce component of my degree. I find it best to have study buddies while in year 12 and dont intend to change that for uni. Study buddies allows you to help one another and maximise your marks. SImilarly this applies with Law where i know a few who missed out at USYD and are going UNSW.

UNSW also allows you to make your own timetable where as USYD really doesnt. I like to go to uni early and finish early and not have long breaks in between. Chances this could happen at USYD.

the program I am doing is COmmece/Law and i am looking at majoring in like commerical law and UNSW is apparently the better uni for that.

Another reason although not a real reason for me is that UNSW Law students get many discounts for food stores where as USYD law students I believe have some sort of access system like fly buys? SOme discounts UNSW law kids are entitled to are like 25% off at george st gelatissimo.

for now those are my reasons. there are more but not really something that will affect u :D

HSC
honestly, whichever uni has the higher atar cut off..
even so, the prestige of sydney law school just did it for me :)

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
honestly, whichever uni has the higher atar cut off..
even so, the prestige of sydney law school just did it for me :)
not to be rude or anything but thats probs a bad idea to choose courses and unis.

ATAR cut off is generally determined by demand and this year the cut off is barely different.

UNSW vs USYD is pretty much similar to the comparison of Harvard vs Yales in terms of law. Not really much different and they tend to take turns in being the better law school

HSC
prestige all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think if u asked the question, "would you rather go to HLS or YLS", you would be hard pressed to find someone who would choose yale over harvard... both reputable law schools, internationally recognised as leading in their fields...but im pretty sure 99% would choose harvard over yale...why? just the name harvard

and dont get me wrong, i do want to study law...i go on the hca website and read transcripts when i get bored etc etc..
but i prefer sydney over unsw.. pretisge and higher atar cut off as my first reason, multicultural society as my second, and it isnt in a shit location like unsw

and i like the contrast in building designs...harry potter style to the new law building..

and personally, although i may be compleely wrong, i think employers in the law profession would rather employ a graduate from SLS than UNSWLS

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Choosing a course based on cut off is one of the worst ways to pick your uni course.

HSC
I quite clearly said that I want to study law...

It was just the decision between which uni.....

Deathless

HSC
not to be rude or anything but thats probs a bad idea to choose courses and unis.

ATAR cut off is generally determined by demand and this year the cut off is barely different.

UNSW vs USYD is pretty much similar to the comparison of Harvard vs Yales in terms of law. Not really much different and they tend to take turns in being the better law school
I had the impression that:

Commerce/Law = UNSW
Arts/Law = USYD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)