How To Get Your Dream ATAR (1 Viewer)

ya_mum

'When there's a will, there's a way' - MOI
HSC

Alright people, out of curiosity, what are your plans to getting the ATAR of your dreams?

To all the others who have finished the HSC or have accelerated in a subject and are pleased with their marks:
[/COLOR]

• What's one biggest piece of advice that you would offer to the 2011 2012 HSCers to getting their dream?
  • How much did you study to get what you want? (or how much you should have studied lol)

Hopefully this will be of use to us BOSers who are toiling their way to the finish line

ya_mum

HSC
What I'm doing:

To get my dream ATAR of 99.95 or the past few weeks I've been...

• setting goals,
  • making plans,
  • writing a daily study to-do list everyday,
  • maintaining a study and rest balance and
  • regularly checking my post to maintain my motivation.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
How you thought about maybe having a lower aim so that if you get like 99.8, you wont be disappointed

ya_mum

HSC
Heeeell no. I'm going for 99.95 ATAR no matter what happens.

Call me a crazy delusional mofo- cause that's what I am -I've got a vision, and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get there. If I don't succeed, well then I know I tried. But I won't be slitting my wrists and crying. If I succeed, however, it's going to be the greatest moment of my life- I'm gonna go crazy- wouldn't you when you get your dream ATAR?

It's just like if I asked you 'How you thought about maybe having a lower aim to 97, so you wont be disappointed?'

sinophile

HSC
N/A
How to get your dream ATAR?

Don't kid yourself, there is no bravery, there are no blazes of glory and theres no 'natural talent'. This ain't a damn anime. World War Two wasn't won by the allies because their soldiers were the bravest guys, they won because they had a bigger population, more advanced gun technology and a good economy which could simply out-produce the enemy. Getting a good ATAR is a cut-and-dried science of improving your logistics. The more factors that facilitate an environment that allows success, the more likely success will eventuate.To this aim, here is a non-exhaustive list on to improve your 'logistics':

-Getting enough sleep, so your brain remains agile during the day
-Being organised: keep a diary and a calandar, and also have a daily planner that splits up your day hour-by-hour
-Not hanging around idiots who will psychologically affect your ability to perform
-Having good equipment: a computer thats not a slow piece of crap, fast pens that don't cramp your hands, the textbooks which are known for being the best in their field and best suit your learning style
-Studying at a uniform pace (What does this mean? It means not procrastinating or cramming!)
-Using flash cards to repeat key info every so often in the day
-Having a non-distracting study environment
-Having motivation which is backed by a reason/need you truly believe in
-Having a good teacher
-Going to tutoring, which 'forces' you to devote more time to studying
-Keeping a healthy balance between leisure, rest and work, but staying away from getting TOO relaxed (basically give yourself enough happy time to continue studying efficiently and not burn out)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Hi sinophile

How are you. Never imagined you've given so much thought on how to study. I agree with your ideas. Like getting enough sleep, be regular in your work (not bludge & then cram) etc. Also treat prelim year seriously. You acquire the necessary foundation for yr 12. If possible study ahead in yr 11 so as to lighten your yr 12 work. I've seen some people suggest taking things easy in yr 11 - a year to relax & bludge.

HSC
Uni Grad
And the teacher you have actually does affect on how you would go in the HSC, especially if you don't have a tutor. :p

Man I had a shit teacher for modern, in the modern prelim i only ended up with 50%, could have obtained 80% if it weren't for that shit teacher, since I learned nothing off him T_T

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Hi sinophile

How are you. Never imagined you've given so much thought on how to study. I agree with your ideas. Like getting enough sleep, be regular in your work (not bludge & then cram) etc. Also treat prelim year seriously. You acquire the necessary foundation for yr 12. If possible study ahead in yr 11 so as to lighten your yr 12 work. I've seen some people suggest taking things easy in yr 11 - a year to relax & bludge.
Yeah I agree. I'd say the actual content in preliminary is nowhere near as important as the skills you develop from studying that content. I know for sure in the sciences you can get away with studying just a handful of specific things in prelim and come off fine in the HSC (for biology you could pretty much skip year 11. This is certainly not the case for maths). However, if you don't take prelim seriously then you'll never develop those skills in the first place. So its sort of a catch-22, eh? Maybe people can do as you said and just learn year 12 stuff while still in year 11 and get the best of both worlds.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Study super hard and ignoring the scream of the haters.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
And the teacher you have actually does affect on how you would go in the HSC, especially if you don't have a tutor. :p

Man I had a shit teacher for modern, in the modern prelim i only ended up with 50%, could have obtained 80% if it weren't for that shit teacher, since I learned nothing off him T_T
also, the teachers marking the end HSC papers, if they make mistakes there (which most likely is bound to happen on several cases, i.e arithmetic errors and different interpretations for some subjects). As we (the students) have no say on our end of year results, we cannot check to see if the marking is correct, Not saying there may be a dramatic difference, although a uni course could rely on that 1 or 3 marks difference to getting in or not.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Study smart like a boss.

Just saying too many people think an ATAR is going to make or break them or that a high ATAR automatically means +$1000/week for a job.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Study smart like a boss.

Just saying too many people think an ATAR is going to make or break them or that a high ATAR automatically means +$1000/week for a job.
yeah I know It doesn't work like that. Your main objective is choose a career path you ENJOY doing, because that will fulfill most of your working life throughout your life.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Sinophile, that's some really good advice.
I don't think my ATAR aim is unrealistic as long as I consistently work. (95+) Though I suppose that's not really my dream ATAR(It'd be nice to beat one of my particular siblings ATAR :p), but I would be increasingly happier every 0.5 I got over 95 :)

ya_mum

HSC
Originally Posted by slyhunter
Study smart like a boss.

yeah I know It doesn't work like that. Your main objective is choose a career path you ENJOY doing, because that will fulfill most of your working life throughout your life.
That's exactly right. It's a sad reality that so many people think that doing well in the HSC and academically later on equates with long term happiness and overall success in life, unless, of course, that is the career path of their choice. But it's pretty funny when people consider getting into medicine or law or w.e. as the beginning of their journey to riches.

Sinophile, that's some really good advice.
I don't think my ATAR aim is unrealistic as long as I consistently work. (95+) Though I suppose that's not really my dream ATAR(It'd be nice to beat one of my particular siblings ATAR :p), but I would be increasingly happier every 0.5 I got over 95
Yeah that's the spirit bratha! As you said yourself, it's realistic- just consistently work. :D
And oh shit. You're still in your prelims. lucky shit. lol study hard so you don't have to go nuts next year.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
1. I don't dream about ATARs, nor do I have a dream ATAR that would make me jump for joy if I got it. I dream about sex and other stuff, and certain people... but that's a different story.
2. My path to success:
- Everyday that I get home at 4:30 or before my mum, play music incredibly loud, lie on the floor and do nothing until 6ish. (Usually only thursdays)
- Everyday I have debating meetings/musical practice/MX2/other get home at 6pm and either sleep on or lie on my study floor til around 10ish.
- Play pokemon during half yearlies instead of studying.
- Go to parties all the time, and host my own party the weekend before half yearlies.
- Spend the entire holidays doing shit with friends, getting smashed, going to the footy, etc. making sure to do NO study.
- Go on facebook everyday for at least 5 hours. This is usually after my lying around/sleeping.
- Go to sleep at 2am or later every week night.
- Sleep for most Saturday days, but enjoy the night. :D
- Don't do homework... Esp. MX2 homework which isn't important at all, and if I did it I wouldn't be coming first. FUCK!
- Have several small children...
- Be a genius and have the ability to use natural ability to get an ATAR in the high 90s with relatively no work and an excellent life.

The last one is probably the most important. :p

Last edited:

LonelyWolf

HSC
Not really sure on what plan i should be doing for each of my subjects. This holidays, which lasts 2 weeks for me, i have a vague idea of what i should be doing. I will plan out what needs to be done, set goals.

Subject wise, i really am not to sure, i'll make notes for the each of the subjects for every topic. Other than that i don't know. Ya mum, could you give me any tips on how to determine the exact things i should be doing?

Danke

isenseven

Premium Member
HSC
1. I don't dream about ATARs, nor do I have a dream ATAR that would make me jump for joy if I got it. I dream about sex and other stuff, and certain people... but that's a different story.
2. My path to success:
- Everyday that I get home at or before my mum, play music incredibly loud, lie on the floor and do nothing until 6ish. (Usually only thursdays)
- Everyday I have debating meetings/musical practice/MX2/other get home at 6pm and either sleep on or lie on my study floor til around 10ish.
- Play pokemon during half yearlies instead of studying.
- Go to parties all the time, and host my own party the weekend before half yearlies.
- Spend the entire holidays doing shit with friends, getting smashed, going to the footy, etc. making sure to do NO study.
- Go on facebook everyday for at least 5 hours. This is usually after my lying around/sleeping.
- Go to sleep at 2am or later every week night.
- Sleep for most Saturday days, but enjoy the night. :D
- Don't do homework... Esp. MX2 homework which isn't important at all, and if I did it I wouldn't be coming first. FUCK!
- Have several small children...
- Be a genius and have the ability to use natural ability to get an ATAR in the high 90s with relatively no work and an excellent life.

The last one is probably the most important. :p
You think your all that or something don't you. Gay cunt.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
working consistently and being as stress free as possible will get you your dream atar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)