• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How To Mark An Exam (1 Viewer)

Aznmichael92

HSC
Ok, I have come across a test where I think the marker is being real slack in the way they mark it.

For example the question says:

Find the value of x, if 2x +5 = 7 [2 marks]

Which of the following do you think is the best way to allocate marks if someone does an error in the first line of their working out?

2x +5 = 7
2x = 12
x = 6 [1 mark]

or

2x + 5 = 7
2x = 12
x = 6 [0 mark]

IMABOYDAMON!

Banned
HSC
You should get 1 mark, because you have proved that you do know the concept, but you're stupid enough to think that 7 -5 = 12.

So Yeah, 1 mark.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aznmichael92 said:
Ok, I have come across a test where I think the marker is being real slack in the way they mark it.

For example the question says:

Find the value of x, if 2x +5 = 7 [2 marks]

Which of the following do you think is the best way to allocate marks if someone does an error in the first line of their working out?

2x +5 = 7
2x = 12
x = 6 [1 mark]

or

2x + 5 = 7
2x = 12
x = 6 [0 mark]
I agree with the above. You should get one mark because your first line of working out led you to the whole new direction of working out but you got the rest of the lines worked out well.

You should get one mark I reckon.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Depends. If I were marking it, I'd give the person a mark. But for some questions in Maths (and in the Chemistry practicals), you needed to get the first bit right, to get the next bit right. If you got the first bit wrong, you would've gotten the next bit wrong, even if you proceeded correctly in the second bit.

If that made any sense.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Yeah, I know at uni in Chem we often don't get marks, or even lose marks if the first steps are wrong.
Say, the first few steps are correct and we bork the answer, we get more marks than if we got the steps wrong and somehow got the answer by luck.
Getting the answer by luck doesnt demonstrate that you know how or why you got that answer, hence the lack of marks

Aznmichael92

HSC
IMABOYDAMON! said:
You should get 1 mark, because you have proved that you do know the concept, but you're stupid enough to think that 7 -5 = 12.

So Yeah, 1 mark.
people could so silly mistakes in exams u know

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aznmichael92 said:
people could so silly mistakes in exams u know
Don't worry. I made a mistake at the first glance as well. :)

Aznmichael92

HSC
lyounamu said:
Don't worry. I made a mistake at the first glance as well. :)
hooorah if namu makes a silly mistake, I think its ok for me to do it as well :D

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I would give 1 mark but I wouldn't be surprised if some teachers gave that 0.

Aznmichael92

HSC
IMABOYDAMON! said:
Well..You're Asian. That's reason enough.

J/K!!

I love Asians.
lol :D

I still think it should be 1 mark. Like For example in english you dont get a zero for answering the question incorrectly. You still get at least some marks.

Cerry

HSC
I'd actually give it 1.5. Of course, I'm not a maths teacher. They definitely deserve some marks though, because they've shown that they understand the basic principle of the question, even though they added instead of subtracting. IMO, that's not a big enough mistake to lose you half the marks in a 2 mark question.

Aznmichael92

HSC
Cerry said:
I'd actually give it 1.5. Of course, I'm not a maths teacher. They definitely deserve some marks though, because they've shown that they understand the basic principle of the question, even though they added instead of subtracting. IMO, that's not a big enough mistake to lose you half the marks in a 2 mark question.
unfortunately at my school, we never give out half marks for maths. :D You either get a 0, 1 or 2

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: How To Mark An Exam

I'd give you 0, it wasn't a calculation error per se, it was the wrong calculation overall.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Cerry said:
What.
Did you even see his response?
He didn't demonstrate that he knew the basic principles because he got the first part of it wrong.

Generally, and this is definitely true for chem and university level statistics, if you get the first part wrong but magically somehow end up with the answer, you usually get less marks than were you to get the steps right and the answer wrong.

It's a 2 mark question, so it's not a relatively hard question, therefore it should have been done properly, or atleast the steps should have been.

Sorry, I would have awarded 0.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: How To Mark An Exam

katie tully said:
What.
Did you even see his response?
He didn't demonstrate that he knew the basic principles because he got the first part of it wrong.

Generally, and this is definitely true for chem and university level statistics, if you get the first part wrong but magically somehow end up with the answer, you usually get less marks than were you to get the steps right and the answer wrong.

It's a 2 mark question, so it's not a relatively hard question, therefore it should have been done properly, or atleast the steps should have been.

Sorry, I would have awarded 0.
True - I'd give him a mark if he was able to make 2x = 7-5 = 2 then make an error in that, but making a wrong step with the right answer in a relatively simple 2mark question shouldn't obtain a mark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)