• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How to prepare for the grad interview? (1 Viewer)

jainey

HSC
Hello guys,

I got an interview with one of the big 6 firms for their graduate program. And I'm not sure, frankly, why.

I'm perplexed about this because my marks are really, really plain. I may well suck at law. I've neither done a clerkship nor worked as a paralegal in big firms; I've never done mooting or been in law competitions, etc; never been involved in the law soc, un soc, whatever soc's people get memberships for resume-enhancing purposes. Throughout law school I've been kind of distant from the whole law thing - I was there because I got in. Also, I have always thought becoming a commercial lawyer would be a soul-killing act, though nearing graduation and not knowing quite what to do, I've succumbed, yes, and to my demise found that I have not at all rendered myself in a good position to attain a grad employment.

(On a plus side, I do go to one of the "better" law schools in Sydney and was given a scholarship to enter the school. I topped two politics subjects and did honours. I worked as a research associate at a general practice firm, and then at a G+T sponsored research centre, and then recently on a teaching project with an ex managing partner of some big firm. I speak two more languages fluently, one european one asian. And I think my answers to the custom questions were pretty good.)

So in my opinion, informed purely by my general impression on law firms, I'm not the best candidate. Just some wannabe arts student who's clearly wasted time in law school. I'm sure there are just as many intellectually able students as me. What do they usually expect from their interviewees? what kind of questions should I expect from them? I don't want to get asked questions like, "why are your law marks so crap??" ... that's quite scary to think of.

Last edited:

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
my marks are really, really plain.
I've neither done a clerkship nor worked as a paralegal in big firms

I topped two politics subjects and did honours
I worked as a research associate at a general practice firm, and then at a G+T sponsored research centre, and then recently on a teaching project with an ex managing partner of some big firm. I speak two more languages fluently, one european one asian.
You're not as shit as you think you are. Chances are that your marks are actually quite good, and that your extra-curricular activities have made you stand out in one way or another. I'd read up on the 'usual' interview questions, and prepare good answers to them - really stock-standard stuff I'm afraid. If you're scared that you will be grilled on your 'crap marks,' then prepare a liability-diminishing yet believable answer; people have reported that questions along those lines aren't uncommon.

Congratulations and good luck.

subdued123

HSC
"On a plus side, I do go to one of the "better" law schools in Sydney and was given a scholarship to enter the school. I topped two politics subjects and did honours. I worked as a research associate at a general practice firm, and then at a G+T sponsored research centre, and then recently on a teaching project with an ex managing partner of some big firm. I speak two more languages fluently, one european one asian. And I think my answers to the custom questions were pretty good.)"
You're kidding if you try to convince yourself you're not very good.

If this was a fishing expedition, well done. You have succeeded. If this was not a fishing exercise, then, generally, go in and be prepared to speak in the same way as the interviewer. If it's a light hearted chat, then chat. If it's 10 questions, then answer the question. And be yourself.

jainey

HSC
No, it's not a fishing expedition. I have a credit average (probably above 70), and I even have two failures in semester 1 first year, in maths subjects, though this could be explained.. (it was mainly due to first-year administrative naivity. I was just glad to drop commerce at the time.) At least, law-marks wise, I'm under the impression I'm pretty average compared to some of my friends who work at those places, who have been the editor of the Law Journal, topped criminal law, went to washington to compete in Jessup mooting, etc. I'm not sure that firms are particularly impressed that I can explain political theories or have written a thesis on marx. Which is why I'm caused to wonder, and feel a little daunted.. as to what their expectations are, and what they look for in first- and second-round interviews. I need this job..!

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
my fellow UNSW-ian, i have some short words of advice but unfortunately i'm labouring under a LST essay on Marxism, alienation and the law so my reply will have to wait for another (edit: day or three). :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)