How to study and improve for chemistry and Math Extension 1 for the Holidays? (1 Viewer)

Cherrybomb56

HSC
Hello guys,

I have chosen chemistry and Maths Extension 1 as two of my subjects for next year. Can you please provide me with useful tips on how I can study them in the holidays to increase my grades in these subjects. any answers would be helpful. Thanks

_Anonymous

HSC
For Chemistry I'd recommend going over your basics from Y7-10 and if time permits, try and start Module 1 from Year 11 to get a head start. Studying for Mod 1 (based off memory) is mainly just memorisation/understanding of content. For Mod 2, you'll start working with mole calculations. You gotta ensure you master these calculations. As the year progresses, Chem will require more calculations and by Y12 you'll have to be fully confident with mole calculations/limiting reagents as harder/lengthy questions will come. Also, know your pracs off by heart and make sure you're doing them yourself.

For MX1 I'd recommend mastering your knowledge from Y7-10 (mainly algebra, functions, statistics and anything else). If you've got the time, start learning ahead. You'll have the new syllabus though, so I'm not too sure about the 3U content; although I've heard there is no more plane/circle geometry and there is a heavy emphasis on statistics. My advice for you would be just to practice questions from textbooks like Cambridge and Terry Lee.

Hope this helped.

YoYoWayne

HSC
Uni Grad
Are you travelling during the summer holidays?
If not, I'd strongly suggest trying to study ahead, buy/borrow textbook for Year 11 because it's never a bad idea to start early & get yourself more familiar with the content.

I can't tell much with Chem, but for 3U Maths, it's a good idea to pull out your Year10 textbook and make sure you're familiar with those topics. Try to solve exercise questions fast with hands cuffed behind your back (i.e. being able to mentally calculate even when you're anxious). If you couldn't, write down the proper workouts for a few questions & try again.
It's also a really good idea to start learning Year 11 Ext1 (along with 2U). Although it hasn't start count towards your internal score like Year 12 does, you get an idea of how to study in your own pace; If you take tutorials (or not), do you want to study topics with the same order the school will go through? Or do you want to do the ones that you're more interested or "more beneficial"? etc etc

Also note the change of syllabus & make sure you get the right edition of textbooks. Looks like in 4U they deleted conics, some mechanics, harder extension 1 (If you are caring so much with MXT1 now I think there's great chance you will be doing 4U)... Heck, with the current syllabus, I really think anyone getting 80%+ in Yr10 Maths exam should be able to accelerate 4U maths and get bandE4 if they study the right way...

YoYoWayne

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh and if you are self-teaching, get Terry Lee coz it has solutions with full workouts

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
For maths, try to acquire a copy of your school's prescribed text. In addition to making sure you have mastered all relevant maths up to Yr 10. Try to read the first few chapters of this HSC text; how far depending on how much time you have and how fast you can handle them. Don't worry if you can, at first understand only about 40%, say. 40% is better than 0%! Where time permits, re-read; you may understand another 15% - that's progress. If you have friends who can help you, all the better.

Some who can afford it get tutoring help - whether at coaching centres or 1-on-1.

1-99

HSC
N/A
There's also a bunch of Chem videos online which are really helpful, and adapted to the new syllabus:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)