How to Study Consistently??!! (1 Viewer)

bujolover

HSC
Hi guys,
So.
Year 12 is fast approaching for us, and the marathon that is known as the HSC commences in something like ten weeks.

But. I have a problem. I am a student that easily loses motivation. In fact, there have been entire months when I haven't studied to an acceptable level. And unsurprisingly, my workload snowballs and becomes hella worse. While I can currently "get by" via cramming, I just have a slight suspicion (only slight) that I may not achieve the results I desire in Year 12 by continuing this tempting method of studying.

In fact, we're recommended to study "consistently". Except I have zero commitment to pretty much anything that requires a significant amount of effort, except going to school (not exaggerating), and it's about to permanently screw over my life if I don't change this. Please help me! D:

Also, I've changed my study methods about a million times, and I still don't really know what kind of a learner I am. I really like the idea of mind-mapping/visual learning, but I find it hard to process the information in such a unique way, because I'm not confident if the way I interpreted it is correct. Or else I end up basically copying the information, except in the form of a mind map.

And yes, I know I'm not the only one who's not always very motivated, but like, I'm more on the extreme side.

asKim

HSC
Hi guys,
So.
Year 12 is fast approaching for us, and the marathon that is known as the HSC commences in something like ten weeks.

But. I have a problem. I am a student that easily loses motivation. In fact, there have been entire months when I haven't studied to an acceptable level. And unsurprisingly, my workload snowballs and becomes hella worse. While I can currently "get by" via cramming, I just have a slight suspicion (only slight) that I may not achieve the results I desire in Year 12 by continuing this tempting method of studying.

In fact, we're recommended to study "consistently". Except I have zero commitment to pretty much anything that requires a significant amount of effort, except going to school (not exaggerating), and it's about to permanently screw over my life if I don't change this. Please help me! D:

Also, I've changed my study methods about a million times, and I still don't really know what kind of a learner I am. I really like the idea of mind-mapping/visual learning, but I find it hard to process the information in such a unique way, because I'm not confident if the way I interpreted it is correct. Or else I end up basically copying the information, except in the form of a mind map.

And yes, I know I'm not the only one who's not always very motivated, but like, I'm more on the extreme side.
Good to hear someone on the same page as me!

However, the sheer thought of HSC has got to me. I used to only study right before test, and then just bludge until the next. [emoji28]

But recently, motivations such as "schoolies" and the fact that theres only 10 weeks makes me have the 'need' to study. i understand situations differ amongst different people, but for me, I've manage to understand the main factors restricting my studying ability. These include, social media and friends (not telling you to stop having friends). Thus, restrained myself from going out too much and have given up on social media knowing that it's only 10 weeks till you decide your 'future' (not that long!)

Those are more social factors on how to study, but academically i have a routine.
I study 25-30 min for a subject intensely and then give myself 5-10min free time. This may sound bad to some but works for others. I feel like for you in particular, you need a sense of 'reward' to get some sort of motivation, so try that out.

Best of Luck! [emoji26] [emoji16]

Sent from my HTC_0PKX2 using Tapatalk

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hi guys,
So.

Dw everyone loses motivation at some point just set small goals so you can work towards each one. Also yeah year 12 is tough I've lost motivation a lot because of english but you just gotta get through it, year 12 flies past it's already term 3, almost the HSC but it feels like we've recently started year 12.

Also cramming is alright. Honestly our school gave so much homework so I crammed for half yearlies and trial 1 as well as some assessments but basically it's quality over quantity in the end.

Also a LOT of late nights helped. Basically never slept before 12 am on a school day, lol.

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
Studying smart is about studying all your content in a not so long time frame whilst getting really high marks. In my opinion studying smart comes from the following: 1. How you study your content 2. How you study your weaknesses

Most of your subjects should either require conceptual understanding, rote memorising or mathematical calculations

Conceptual understanding mainly comes into the sciences (and maths I guess) and to actually conceptually understand something you should explain it to someone without looking at notes. Conceptual weaknesses should also be studied via watching videos and/or having super detailed explanations with a diagram. To understand something you would need to understand why.

Rote memorisation occurs in English, sciences and the humanities. One of the most effective methods with rote memorisation I've been told is that there is a "finite" amount of content the NESA can ask in your HSC. Also there is also a "Worksheet method" in which you make worksheets (but cut out a few words), print it out then fill it in a few times a day everyday

To succeed in mathematical calculations, practice and perfection is the crux of succeeding in maths. If there are certain aspects in maths you struggle with you should learn from your mistakes by asking for help and repracticing those mistakes from time to time

Of course one of the most important things is "memory retention". This can be done by applying the knowledge you learn on the day e.g. if your teacher taught you word war 1 in modern history, I'd recommend making notes right after and then doing necessary exam questions. If you struggled with something conceptual on the day you were taught it (e.g. newton's laws) my recommendation is watching videos and looking at how science is applied to the real world

Hope that helps

Good luck :)
This was from another thread but I hope it helps :)

HydricAcid

HSC
One of the best ways to stay motivated is your friends. If you haven't already, try studying with a small group and force each other to work. You won't want to let your mates down, which will make you do work! (hopefully) Basically, make each other accountable.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
To study consistently, you need to have the willpower and goal and support to do that. You need to be able to have delayed gratification of doing something easier or watching something on youtube to pursue a much more important goal, maximising your ATAR. You may disagree with me on this goal, and if you do, I think perhaps you should reconsider whether university is the best place you want to end up in. In uni, you will have much more freedom in high school, you won't be getting N awards, no one is going to tell you to hand in homework, and so if you don't fix the problem now, not only will you suffer in your ATAR results, you will suffer even more in your uni results. You may argue results are not everything, or that you have tried but no ways seem to work, I feel like you are too worried in finding the perfect way to study, for me, just go with it, what if you interpret things wrong, that's how we all learn, no one will be perfect, and even if you write something out word for word, that's better than not writing at all, I think in your pursuit of the perfect way to study, you ended up procrastinating and not being very productive.

I suggest you make a plan, make a goal, reward yourself upon achieve your goals for the day, maybe it is to finish English homework, and remove all distractions, physically remove that laptop/phone (or turn it off if you have to), only you can help yourself. We may be able to give you 1 million other ideas on how to study, but you really need to find a goal-a university course, a path in life that you really want to pursue/or have the opportunity to pursue in the shortest time possible, and then go for it. You don't want to end the HSC with the regret you could have tried harder and become better, and fixing the problem now will mean you will better set yourself up for future challenges in life. And if after doing all that, talking to career adviser, thinking about your career pathways, thinking about your ideal ATAR and marks, still don't get motivated, then I think you might want to pursue something that is not ATAR determined, i.e. less academic which might suit you, i.e. graphics design, arts etc, at the end of the day, the most important thing is, you won't get far if you are not motivated and not consistent towards important goals in life, and to achieve that, you need to be willing to sacrifice, to commit and to believe in those goals.

All the best of luck :)

bujolover

HSC
One of the best ways to stay motivated is your friends. If you haven't already, try studying with a small group and force each other to work. You won't want to let your mates down, which will make you do work! (hopefully) Basically, make each other accountable.
It doesn't work. I've tried. :haha:

bujolover

HSC
To study consistently, you need to have the willpower and goal and support to do that. You need to be able to have delayed gratification of doing something easier or watching something on youtube to pursue a much more important goal, maximising your ATAR. You may disagree with me on this goal, and if you do, I think perhaps you should reconsider whether university is the best place you want to end up in. In uni, you will have much more freedom in high school, you won't be getting N awards, no one is going to tell you to hand in homework, and so if you don't fix the problem now, not only will you suffer in your ATAR results, you will suffer even more in your uni results. You may argue results are not everything, or that you have tried but no ways seem to work, I feel like you are too worried in finding the perfect way to study, for me, just go with it, what if you interpret things wrong, that's how we all learn, no one will be perfect, and even if you write something out word for word, that's better than not writing at all, I think in your pursuit of the perfect way to study, you ended up procrastinating and not being very productive.

I suggest you make a plan, make a goal, reward yourself upon achieve your goals for the day, maybe it is to finish English homework, and remove all distractions, physically remove that laptop/phone (or turn it off if you have to), only you can help yourself. We may be able to give you 1 million other ideas on how to study, but you really need to find a goal-a university course, a path in life that you really want to pursue/or have the opportunity to pursue in the shortest time possible, and then go for it. You don't want to end the HSC with the regret you could have tried harder and become better, and fixing the problem now will mean you will better set yourself up for future challenges in life. And if after doing all that, talking to career adviser, thinking about your career pathways, thinking about your ideal ATAR and marks, still don't get motivated, then I think you might want to pursue something that is not ATAR determined, i.e. less academic which might suit you, i.e. graphics design, arts etc, at the end of the day, the most important thing is, you won't get far if you are not motivated and not consistent towards important goals in life, and to achieve that, you need to be willing to sacrifice, to commit and to believe in those goals.

All the best of luck :)
No, I perfectly agree with you about what's more important. In fact, I have set up a high ATAR goal for myself, and I'm worried I'll still get sidetracked from it in Year 12, which is why I asked. In fact, it's my only motivation to do well in school more than anything, so yeah. But, yeah, like you were saying, I need instant gratification rather than think about long-term happiness when I procrastinate. :p Guess I'd better change that ASAP.

Thank you for your advice. :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
No, I perfectly agree with you about what's more important. In fact, I have set up a high ATAR goal for myself, and I'm worried I'll still get sidetracked from it in Year 12, which is why I asked. In fact, it's my only motivation to do well in school more than anything, so yeah. But, yeah, like you were saying, I need instant gratification rather than think about long-term happiness when I procrastinate. :p Guess I'd better change that ASAP.

Thank you for your advice. :)
I think setting up a higher ATAR goal in itself will be insufficient, you need to find a course you want to do, and correlate that course with your ATAR goal, then it will become more meaningful, otherwise I am not sure whether you will believe in it enough to actually genuinely make the sacrifice to get to where you need. I think getting a private tutor can help you keep on track to be honest, and also it won't be easy, but nothing worth doing is easy, maybe start with 1 hour studying a day, then go 2 hours, then 3 hours, or do small tasks and gradually building up your concentration span. Don't take a step to the moon, start taking baby steps first and you will get further than you imagine. I think setting up a very high ATAR goal may not necessarily be helpful, cause if it is too unrealistic base on your current grades, you will get very easily demotivated if you can't get very high results, I suggest you set a lower goal, i.e. ATAR greater than 90 e.g. so you have less mental stress and learn to enjoy study a lot more, cause it is only when you enjoy study-maybe start engaging more with questions, start doing things earlier, the moment you enjoy studying for something, you will be on the path to sustainable success.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)