how to timetable for university (1 Viewer)

happinesslovedance

HSC
Hi,

I was wondering for timetabling uni classes for first year, should I timetable tutorials before lectures?

I believe the most common timetabling is lectures than tutorials (correct me if I'm wrong) but if there are time clashes would it still be okay to do tutorials than lectures - reasoning I'm concern is that, am I going to not know what is going on since lectures are where concepts are taught and tutorials are where it is practiced and discussed.

Thank you!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Generally speaking, lectures should precede tutorials. This is because lectures are intended to present information and/or teach students about a particular subject/concept(s), whereas tutorials are small discussion-based groups of students enrolled in a particular course, where each group is led by a tutor. Tutorials don’t usually involve receiving information and taking notes as lectures would. Of course, what exactly is covered in lectures and tutorials depends on the degree/discipline itself, although lectures and tutorials in most areas of study should be structured in a similar manner.

Some tutors, particularly during your first year, and depending on the nature and length of the tutorial and the unit itself, may wish to briefly re-introduce important concepts that would have been covered in that week's lecture, allowing students to gain an idea of what material is covered in that particular week. Subsequently, students engage in discussion and practice relevant to the appropriate concepts.

Additionally, keep in mind that a number of units at different universities may offer online pre-recorded lectures, which allows for increased flexibility. Consequently, you may still be able to cover relevant lecture material prior to the corresponding tutorial, allowing you to schedule physical lectures following the tutorials in the case of timing issues in one (or more units). Depending on the attendance requirements (or lack thereof) for your respective units, you may/may not be required to attend physical lectures, which would enable you to organise your time in a way that would enable you to watch an online lecture prior to attending a physical tutorial.

I hope this helps! :D

happinesslovedance

HSC
Generally speaking, lectures should precede tutorials. This is because lectures are intended to present information and/or teach students about a particular subject/concept(s), whereas tutorials are small discussion-based groups of students enrolled in a particular course, where each group is led by a tutor. Tutorials don’t usually involve receiving information and taking notes as lectures would. Of course, what exactly is covered in lectures and tutorials depends on the degree/discipline itself, although lectures and tutorials in most areas of study should be structured in a similar manner.

Some tutors, particularly during your first year, and depending on the nature and length of the tutorial and the unit itself, may wish to briefly re-introduce important concepts that would have been covered in that week's lecture, allowing students to gain an idea of what material is covered in that particular week. Subsequently, students engage in discussion and practice relevant to the appropriate concepts.

Additionally, keep in mind that a number of units at different universities may offer online pre-recorded lectures, which allows for increased flexibility. Consequently, you may still be able to cover relevant lecture material prior to the corresponding tutorial, allowing you to schedule physical lectures following the tutorials in the case of timing issues in one (or more units). Depending on the attendance requirements (or lack thereof) for your respective units, you may/may not be required to attend physical lectures, which would enable you to organise your time in a way that would enable you to watch an online lecture prior to attending a physical tutorial.

I hope this helps! :D
Hi,
Thank you so much again!!! Thank you for taking your time to response.

I have another question:

I noticed that for some of my classes there is no tutorial on the first week and only a lecture. Does that mean the first tutorial aka on the second week, will be based on the content of the first lecture aka on the first week. (so some tutorials are one week "behind" lectures)? Would than, be better to timetable a tutorial before a lecture. For example,

Week 1
Lecture at 11am on Topic A

Week 2
Tutorial at 9am on Topic A
Lecture at 11am on Topic B

Week 3
Tutorial at 9am on Topic B
Lecture at 11am on Topic C

etc, is it how it will work if there are no tutorials in week 1? i'm not sure if it's explained well.

However,
For other classes, the tutorial and lecture start in the same week, and can be done on the same day. Does that mean for example, a 9am lecture than a 11am tutorial is based on the same content learnt? i've read online that this might not be the case?

thank you!!!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,
Thank you so much again!!! Thank you for taking your time to response.

I have another question:

I noticed that for some of my classes there is no tutorial on the first week and only a lecture. Does that mean the first tutorial aka on the second week, will be based on the content of the first lecture aka on the first week. (so some tutorials are one week "behind" lectures)? Would than, be better to timetable a tutorial before a lecture. For example,

Week 1
Lecture at 11am on Topic A

Week 2
Tutorial at 9am on Topic A
Lecture at 11am on Topic B

Week 3
Tutorial at 9am on Topic B
Lecture at 11am on Topic C

etc, is it how it will work if there are no tutorials in week 1? i'm not sure if it's explained well.

However,
For other classes, the tutorial and lecture start in the same week, and can be done on the same day. Does that mean for example, a 9am lecture than a 11am tutorial is based on the same content learnt? i've read online that this might not be the case?

thank you!!!
No worries!

It could be that tutorials are done on a subsequent week to lectures so that you are learning new content in the following week's lecture, while simultaneously revising content learn in the previous week's lecture through the tutorial (which would constitute an effective way of learning as you will be less likely to forget important information learnt during a lecture if you revisit it in the following week's tutorial). It could also be that the first week's lecture is not significant enough and may therefore not require a tutorial. For instance, it could be a simple introductory lecture to the subject, exploring what the subject entails, assessment/exam details/requirements and so on, as opposed to an in-depth lecture covering specific concepts/theory relevant to the unit. The same may apply to your other classes' lectures and tutorials that happen to take place on the same day, i.e. they may/may not be covering the same content that was covered.

The best approach that you should adopt in a situation of the sort is to avoid speculation and instead, contact the unit coordinator(s) for the respective unit(s) that you will be taking, informing them of your questions as they are the ones who can answer your questions with maximum accuracy and effectivess.

happinesslovedance

HSC
No worries!

It could be that tutorials are done on a subsequent week to lectures so that you are learning new content in the following week's lecture, while simultaneously revising content learn in the previous week's lecture through the tutorial (which would constitute an effective way of learning as you will be less likely to forget important information learnt during a lecture if you revisit it in the following week's tutorial). It could also be that the first week's lecture is not significant enough and may therefore not require a tutorial. For instance, it could be a simple introductory lecture to the subject, exploring what the subject entails, assessment/exam details/requirements and so on, as opposed to an in-depth lecture covering specific concepts/theory relevant to the unit. The same may apply to your other classes' lectures and tutorials that happen to take place on the same day, i.e. they may/may not be covering the same content that was covered.

The best approach that you should adopt in a situation of the sort is to avoid speculation and instead, contact the unit coordinator(s) for the respective unit(s) that you will be taking, informing them of your questions as they are the ones who can answer your questions with maximum accuracy and effectivess.
thank you so much again! and yep i will contact them! thank you!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)