HSC mark inquiry (1 Viewer)

Atarndat

HSC
Hi all, I’m in year 12 as of may 2020 and have a query about how your HSC marks for each subject is determined.

at the start of the year, our year coordinator told us that we have to sweat every subject that we do - even if we do above 10 units - because our marks for each subject will subsequently affect the marks of other subjects. This kinda affects me because for I go to a Christian school and is forced to do SOR1 which is the odd unit of mine that I haven’t put any effort in.

in saying that, if I flunked my SOR1 mark (e.g. less than 50% in raw assessment mark), does that mean the marks in my other subjects are adversely pulled down? Or is my year coordinator pulling our legs with what she said?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The performance of the entire state in one subject relative to another subject does influence the scaling of that subject.

However, the performance of one individual is too small to make any impact on the state’s performance. So your individual performance in one subject has little to no direct influence on your other subjects, all else being equal.

quickoats

HSC
I think your teacher might be thinking about moderation for the other students in your grade - she may think that getting a very low HSC mark may unfairly disadvantage the other students in your cohort. But if you're at the bottom of the cohort, and receive the overall bottom mark, the only HSC mark you get is your own, so you really aren't affecting anybody else but you. Given that it's a spare unit, the low mark will definitely not contribute to your ATAR.

However, it might be wise to put a bit of effort into SOR 1. From my experience (at a government school, so it definitely wasn't compulsory, and definitely not taken seriously), SOR did not count for anybody in my class, but then again, we did alright (just better in other subjects). With a bit of work and study, you might yourself in the place where SOR actually does end up counting quite a bit towards your ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)