HSC marks and Examination marks (1 Viewer)

friction

HSC
Ok so i dont really understand how it all works, here is my example our extension 2 class.
This is what the school sent in
The guy that came first got 85
i came equal second because of my lack of effort throughout the year with 68
The guy that came last got around 55.

So say in the HSC the guy that comes first get around 95
i get around 92
the other equal second guy gets around 80
and the last guy gets around 70
this is what i expect will happen.

What will the moderated assessment marks go to for the group. Would i maybe be left out as one of the "special cases" as in another document which i saw said this happens ??

I am getting around 85% raw on trials so i think 92 is definitely possible for me the guy coming first is a freak and the guy coming equal with me is not too smart but worked heaps all year unlike me.

Thanks in advance, this has me worried.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: HSC marks and Examination marks

first of all, you shouldn't worry - 85% raw in 4unit exams is by far a formidable mark, its great.
in terms of marks however, you keep your external mark (that is, you keep your 92 mark).
your internal mark is of a different matter, the person coming first gets 95 as his internal mark as it is the top external mark.
however, since you're second - they take into account the 17 mark difference internally, and they use the collective pool of marks in the external exam and distribute it according to the gaps between each internal ranking.

hope that made sense.

friction

HSC
Re: 回复: HSC marks and Examination marks

Yea but not what i wanted to hear. That means i will be getting not even an E4 probably. Off to hack at the wrists :).

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: 回复: HSC marks and Examination marks

take not that the difference in 17 marks will not mean he gets 95 whilst you get 95-17, the bigger your pool of marks, the less the gap will be.

if you happen to beat him in the externals and come first, you may even tie with him overall

friction

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: 回复: HSC marks and Examination marks

Yea but beating him is out of the question pretty much. He has been getting 110 + in most his trials.

friction

HSC

Also i dont think the others will go very good so that eliminates a big pool of marks. Only option i have left is maybe getting some special case treatment.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: HSC marks and Examination marks

honestly just do your best and you'll be fine.

E3 is nothing to scoff at.

friction

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: HSC marks and Examination marks

It will be very bad if i see i got myself in the 90s for a HSC mark and then still got an 85 or something overall because my rank pulled me down.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: HSC marks and Examination marks

i think the system is fair in terms of , it promotes hard work throughout the year - it doesn't allow the smart kids to bludge and just rip up the final exam.

friction

HSC

E3 sounds so bad as well. It just annoys me that my teacher would give us that big gaps when they are not needed because i always knew it wouldnt be that big a difference.

friction

HSC

That is true. But i havent completely bludged i am still rank 2. That is still pretty decent. That plus the fact that people that work all year have the advantage that they have had more practice i think is plent. The taking of the same gaps is just rediculous. That means the people that come first just get soo many bonuses

danz90

HSC

friction said:
Off to hack at the wrists :).
For some reason this made me laugh out loud :lol:
Maybe because I felt exactly the same way today about my entire HSC lol :hammer:

friction

HSC

Getting like that now. Considering just giving it up and just getting the 87 i need for my course and not the 97 98 UAI that i want. This pisses me off soo much.

friction

HSC

Ext 1 has a similar 9 mark gap between me and first despite the fact i was beating him half way through the year and that in the trials the difference wasnt heaps. Although i do have a chance of beating him in that so that may be my goal. Will need 48 or 49 out of 50 but thats achievable.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: 回复: HSC marks and Examination marks

friction said:
Getting like that now. Considering just giving it up and just getting the 87 i need for my course and not the 97 98 UAI that i want. This pisses me off soo much.
tell me about it, jesus christ.

friction

HSC

Except ive only been working hard for 1.5 weeks like 6 - 8 hours a day. Already considering giving up, its pretty bad.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
friction said:
Ok so i dont really understand how it all works, here is my example our extension 2 class.
This is what the school sent in
The guy that came first got 85
i came equal second because of my lack of effort throughout the year with 68
The guy that came last got around 55.

So say in the HSC the guy that comes first get around 95
i get around 92
the other equal second guy gets around 80
and the last guy gets around 70
this is what i expect will happen.

What will the moderated assessment marks go to for the group. Would i maybe be left out as one of the "special cases" as in another document which i saw said this happens ??

I am getting around 85% raw on trials so i think 92 is definitely possible for me the guy coming first is a freak and the guy coming equal with me is not too smart but worked heaps all year unlike me.

Thanks in advance, this has me worried.
It is difficult to predict what your moderated assessment mark would be but it will work like this.

The person who ranks first will obtain the highest HSC exam mark as his moderated assessement mark, which in your case it will be 95. He will also obtain his own exam mark as his exam mark (95). Overall HSC mark = 95.

Because you are tie for second place, your moderated assessment mark will be equal or close to the average of the next 2 best HSC examination marks, that being 92 and 80. The average of the two marks (86) will become the moderated assessment mark for you and whoever is coming second with you. However, your overall HSC mark will be higher because your exam mark is 92 (Average of exam and moderated assessment mark = Final HSC mark = 89). The other person coming equal 2nd will get a final HSC mark of 83 (average of 86 and 80).

The last person will likely to get 70 for his/her moderated assessment mark and 70 for the exam mark.

I hope this clarify things. All you can do now is do your best in the external exam which will help drag up your overall HSC mark. There is nothing much you can do with your moderated assessment mark as there is no "special consideration" because you didn't try throughout the year and ended up equal second, instead of outright second.

danz90

HSC

friction said:
Except ive only been working hard for 1.5 weeks like 6 - 8 hours a day. Already considering giving up, its pretty bad.
yeah same.. i was really depressed about HSc today

my dad told me one important thing though... don't think about what result you EXPECT for each exam.. do that only after you've actually done the exam. you can't expect a result for an exam you haven't done.

we may surprise ourselves ;)

friction

HSC

Survivour the thing i looked at said if one of the marks dont fit on the curve for the class rankings then they will be a special case treated differently.

Also i was told, i dont know whether it is true, that with equal second whoever performs better on the external will be assumed to be second. I was outright second until the other guy scabbed marks which i probably could of done myself or stopped him doing but as i was told this i thought it doesnt matter.

They do this so it doesnt count all on the one test right so if you had a bad test it doesnt really matter. But i had a horrible trial i could not think at all in the test, and that is why i am equal second there is no safegaurding for having a bad test then. This is not cool, depressing infact. So should of done work.

bogdanovs

HSC
I'm pretty sure you can't be tied second in assessment marks. Only one of you will be second even if its by the smallest infinite decimel.

It makes sence because if you were equall second and one of you got HSC mark 95 and other got HSC mark 90, then they wouldnt know which mark to give to who?

Willing to be proven wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)