HSC Plus bonus points (1 Viewer)

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
Hi i am planning to do commerce next year, (uai cut off was 95.20 last yr)

If my uai is 92 and i receieve 4 bonus points, does this mean i'm guaranteed to get into the course?

With the HSC plus scheme, doesnt this make it more competitive with others receiving bonus points and so not everyone will get in if more ppl pass the cut-off or has this already been accounted for after everyone has sent in their applications for preferences?

HSC
Deltan said:

If my uai is 92 and i receieve 4 bonus points, does this mean i'm guaranteed to get into the course?

With the HSC plus scheme, doesnt this make it more competitive with others receiving bonus points and so not everyone will get in if more ppl pass the cut-off or has this already been accounted for after everyone has sent in their applications for preferences?
the thing with bonus points is that they're really easy to get, which means, if you get bonus points and you manage to meet the cut off, most other people will also get bonus points which will make it more competitive.

However, you might as well apply for the points so you can be on level playing field with other applicants.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Deltan said:

The way it works is that even though your UAI would be 96 after 4 bonus points, they just don't give that to every body.

So what they do is that, they look at all the applicants and if your UAI is 92 and the other is 93, if the bonus UAI is to awarded to one of those two, person who got higher UAI will be awarded instead of you.

At least, that's how the EAS works.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ChockoRepublic said:
yo namu, by when do you need to apply for it?
I am not sure as I haven't checked it out yet. Go to UNSW page nd you will be able to see it.

HSC
lyounamu said:
I am not sure as I haven't checked it out yet. Go to UNSW page nd you will be able to see it.
i can't be bothered. i'll just ask my careers adviser tmorrow.

yorkstanham

HSC
namu you are wrong, im pretty sure you dont have to apply for HSC plus, it gets done automatically. EAS is a completely different setup

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
yorkstanham said:
namu you are wrong, im pretty sure you dont have to apply for HSC plus, it gets done automatically. EAS is a completely different setup
Ok. I thought this was similar to EAS as well by the appearance of it.

ashlee-xx

HSC
i must be retarted cuz i dont know how to apply for it
i went on the UNSW site for HSC plus but i couldnt find the information on applying

?

shakky15

HSC
ashlee-xx said:
i must be retarted cuz i dont know how to apply for it
i went on the UNSW site for HSC plus but i couldnt find the information on applying

?
because u dont need to apply... UTS has a similar program and u dont need to apply for that either...

whats this EAS thing ur talking about?

shakky15

HSC
lyounamu said:
The way it works is that even though your UAI would be 96 after 4 bonus points, they just don't give that to every body.

So what they do is that, they look at all the applicants and if your UAI is 92 and the other is 93, if the bonus UAI is to awarded to one of those two, person who got higher UAI will be awarded instead of you.

At least, that's how the EAS works.
no im pretty sure you would both get it in that scenario..

the thing is, ur UAI is not gonna change (it will stay 92 or 93) but, its the 'selection rank' that is the uai plus the bonus points. If you get 95.20 as a UAI (WITHOUT bonus points) then ur essentially guaranteed a place. For thos who rely on the bonus points to meet the cutoff, i think both the 92 and 93 person would get in... c the thing is, the cutoff would be released after all these calculations would have taken place ..

anyway dont stress over this stuff

If u wanna go to UNSW then put it as a preference. Then forget about it and focus on the HSC... that way u wont need to stress over bonus points to get u over the line.. :cool:

null-result

HSC
HSC Plus =/= EAS

for EAS, you have to apply for it. if granted, your raw mark will basically be given a boost of however many uai, kind of. the university actually just takes your application more leniently, i think, boosting your uai by a number of 'theoretical' marks, not an actual number.

for HSC Plus, it is given automatically.
for example, if you got 90 UAI and recieved 5 uai points from HSC Plus, you would have an UAI of 95, technically.
so, if a course needed 94.9, you would make the cut off.

however, if there was only one slot left for whatever reason, and you were 90+5, with the other being 95+5, the person with the higher raw mark would recieve preference, which would be the other person.

what im unsure of, is how these two combine together .. would they stack?
im quite sure EAS gives you less or equal bonus uai points than HSC Plus, so i dont see why you would need to stack them anyway. for example, if you got 85 uai, and recieved +5+5=+10 from HSC+/EAS, i would imagine they wouldnt let you into a 94.9 uai course, mainly because you performed well below the wanted mark and only with these cheap points that you could make the cut off.
thats just my opinion though. they very well could just let you in. or not. i dont know.

HSC PLUS: http://www.unsw.edu.au/futureStudents/undergrad/ced/HSCPlus.html
EAS: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=24845

Last edited:

shaZ-

HSC
Deltan said:

In short yes you will get in.

P

pLuvia

Deltan said:

You're not guaranteed a place in the course, some person I heard got higher than the required uai (i.e. even without HSC plus scheme) it was his first preference and he still get a place in the course

kangms

HSC
What is the maximum marks that anyone can scab off ?? I heard different universities give you different bonus points.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
as much as the relevant subjects offer you afaik. band 6 = 2 points, so 5 subjects with all 6's and relevant may = 12 points. But with grades like that why should you even bother with hsc plus?

joshuaali

HSC
Maximum 5 at UNSW, USyd, UWS, etc. At UWS, you can get an additional 5 for being a resident of Greater Western Sydney (effectively up to 10 bonus points in total).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)