HSC Vocab (1 Viewer)

shafqat

HSC
N/A
It's possibly a little too late to try and learn all the words. I'd do practice unseens from past HSC and any trial papers you can get your hands on, and in the exam unseen translate so that you get across a good understanding of the whole passage rather than individual words. Good luck.

*banaz*

HSC
hi guys,

I know there have been lots of posts with websites or help with our vocabulary, but i just wanted to know whether people are actually going to go through the HSC prescribed lists and like learn every word? Or are we just going to hope that we know the vocab in the unseens? I'm not sure...as its an awful lot to look up in the dictionary and translate don't you think?

Jermir Caesar

HSC
N/A
At NSB, the top five or so try and talk in Latin. On MSN we type in Latin. In class we pass notes in Latin (because most of our 17-strong Latin class does 4U Maths). Occasionally a little fable is written and the teacher corrects it with a vicious brutality. We have euphemisms, like 'manus' and 'flave' and 'aselle'. We even have a love elegy couplet on the theme of 'lover spies on girl'. That is yet to progress.

potesne intellegere quid dicebam in aliis filis?

I find that by learning the errors made in translating from English to Latin, one can identify the same reasons why mistakes are made in translating to English, such as in Unseens. One particular instance was when we continually used 'te....' to say 'your...' i.e. 'te iura' for 'your orders'. It wasn't until our teacher, Magnus Salsus, told us that we were actually saying 'orders by/to you' that we realised we should have said 'tua iura'.

bubblz_angel

HSC
N/A
haha that sounds liek fun!
i dont think im gonna b able to cram in the whole latin vocab list... and so imma just gonna hope for the best! wud any of you guys consider doing the unseens first?

*banaz*

HSC
I was thinking about doing the unseens first actually, i'd be interested to know what everyone else thinks about this too. I just tend to run out of time especially in the trials and seeing as though unseens are last, i never get to finish them or make them sound like normal english.

I also wanted to know what on average do people get in their unseens? Like what is considered a good mark? Or how do people go? Coz i was wondering, say you lost 10 marks in unseen and everything else pretty much right in ur exam, then is it still possible to get into the band 6?

Jermir Caesar

HSC
N/A
Aeneas said:
My my, can we get our capita any further up our culi at NSB (btw culi comes from the latin word culus-i meaning ass).
PS Jermir, if you're still confusing the accusative/ablative cases with possesive adjectives this close to the exam, feel free to contact the master sometime... (that would be me :cool: )
My my, can we get our linguae (tongues) in a spira (twist) any further at Scot's College. ;)

I believe the expression is capita inflata (big-headed). Indeed, I am aware of culus, -i... that's where the Latin word culibonia is derived from.

PS Christian, if I'm still confusing the accusative/ablative cases with possesive adjectives this close to the exam, I would be inclined to contact a master who is coming first in their school (that would not be you :D)

PPS You know, Christian, around the time I was supposed to have learnt the distinction between accusative/ablative cases and possesive adjectives, I was being taught by your teacher. :cool:

Deathby

HSC
Well Jermir, Christian, I'm glad the two of you have elevated the latin language to new heights of pejorative greatness.

Of course I'm not surprised considering one of you named yourself Caesar and the other Aeneas. Such humbleness has never graced the earth since Cicero himself walked amongst us as a humble servant of the state.

Save it for the HSC fellas, that's where we can prove NSB is far superior to Scot's College. :p Go study some real latin rather than making up some slapdash latin of your own.

And back on topic, I've got 8 days to study for Latin/Ext, but I'm starting to go through my vocab book 1 page a day, marking out the words I don't know so it'll be easy for me to make a list I words I don't know once I've finished English ext and can focus purely on latin.

Last edited:

Jermir Caesar

HSC
N/A
Ahhh, this has become a iocus ex manu...
But I won't bother replying, hoc filum foetet, nam nunc Knoblett advenit
And as for our teacher, he doesn't tell us those words, we find them in our daily unseen practises from material off the Latin Library. :rolleyes:

iluvlatin

HSC
Holy Cr@p!

What is possesive Accusative... and do I have time to learn it before the exam

Jermir... you're funny, but stupid... also why the hell do the both of you keep on finding latin derivatives of latin words... the only the derivative that is usefull is one in another language like the english erivative... colon.

NSB, better than scots... oh thats likely, there is a reason why there insanely awesome teacher moved from NSB to Scots... because Scots is better... and I am impartial so there...

YAY... LATIN!!!

has anyone seen my head?

Deathby

HSC
Well at least Aeneas stopped using pseudo-Latin insults when flaming Jermir about using words not on the prescribed vocab list.

And I don't know what you mean about the top guy in latin at our school. Even I'm beating Jermir in Latin. Nor do I understand your little quip about an "insanely awesome teacher" at Scots, the only insanely awesome teacher I see is at NSB.

Pfft, I learn latin because its the pinnacle of culture, not so I can bandy insults and pass around dirty notes. I don't know what Jermir's talking about passing notes around. He sits on a three bench table and him turning around and throwing notes to someone seems awfully conspicious and passing notes to someone next to you seems to defeat the whole purpose of passing notes.

And 4 unit is overrated. I came 2nd in the last 3 unit test, beating all of em except for one person.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)