I failed first year 12 assessment task...? (1 Viewer)

Mello321

HSC
I got my marks back for the first assessment task of year 12. it was a mathematics test weighing 15% and i did worse than i thought i would with only 43%. :/ I'm quite disappointed, i guess the stress and pressure to do well in the first exam got to me. I'd say throughout year 11 i was relatively good at maths averaging in the 70% range and i was ranked 11/36. Now my ranking has dropped to 21/36 after this first test. Ive been told by many people in my year that with every assessment task, half of its weighting would actually count towards the HSC so apparently this test is worth 7.5% towards the HSC for maths. Is this true? If this is true does that mean i can bounce back and bring my ranking up again? Sorry guys... i need some reassurance...

Flop21

HSC
Hey, I'm not an expert and other people will probably be able to tell you how much exactly it counts for.

But that's definitely not a lot, and I would say you can definitely 'bounce back'.

Also you're rank didn't drop too much, and there's still a lot of people who did worse than you - it looks like so there's that.

Don't worry, I know a lot of people screw up their first assessments and they still do well in the HSC.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yes you can 'jump back up' but remember that others are also stepping up in Year 12.

Yes it does count 7.5% because 50% of the final HSC mark comes from the assessment mark sent in by the school which is determined by your assessment tasks.

Some years ago I had a student who was ranked 17th after the first assessment task out of 17. He ended up coming 1st.

photastic

HSC
If you failed a task, the chances of obtaining top ranks drastically decreases since everyone including the smart ones get better during the year. Your still average so definitely there are chances to improve.

harvey1997

HSC
N/A
dont worry!
i actually failed my first maths assessment too!
i finished the hsc this year and i can confidently say it has not affected my maths rank/overall marks!

dont stress! you have heaps of assessments to go!! :)
good luck!

fchaudry

HSC
Im in the exact same position. I havent failed, but ive gotten a few of my assessments back and ive gotten between 65 and 70 for them (below average for most), and i know the others will be the same if not worse or just a little better. None of them were worth more than 15%. If i pick up my game and improve my marks to what they were before, will these marks have only have a small impact on my final result?
I have really high ATAR aims for myself but I don't know what happened during these exams, I guess I underestimated how much I need to work in year 12. I've definitely learnt my lesson though. I just need reassurance, if i try hard enough, will i be able to balance out these terrible marks?

Fiction

HSC
I got my marks back for the first assessment task of year 12. it was a mathematics test weighing 15% and i did worse than i thought i would with only 43%. :/ I'm quite disappointed, i guess the stress and pressure to do well in the first exam got to me. I'd say throughout year 11 i was relatively good at maths averaging in the 70% range and i was ranked 11/36. Now my ranking has dropped to 21/36 after this first test. Ive been told by many people in my year that with every assessment task, half of its weighting would actually count towards the HSC so apparently this test is worth 7.5% towards the HSC for maths. Is this true? If this is true does that mean i can bounce back and bring my ranking up again? Sorry guys... i need some reassurance.

Honestly, it depends. It is possible to bounce back and bring your ranking up again, depending on how you and everyone else goes in future assessments.

Think of it like this. If you have 3 tests (for the heck of it), first is weighed 25%, second is weighed 35% and the third is weighed 40%, If internals count for 50% of your mark, then the every mark in the first assessment is worth 1/8% or every 8 mark is worth 1% etc

Picture this, you get 40/100, rank 1 gets 95/100. Assuming rank 1 gets 95/100 in all their assessments, then they get 95 for their internal mark (b/c 23.75+33.25+38=94).

Considering you get 40/100 for your first assessment, you'll be around 10 marks behind no. 1. This means that even if you get 100/100 for each following test, you're internal mark will only be 85. (b/c 13.75+35+40=85). This is only internals though, it's still possible to beat rank 1, if you have a really good cohort.

At least that's how I understood the HSC.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
In all seriousness though, it's one task, no point crying over it. Move on.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you need to remember your mistakes, rather than linger over your disappointments. I think it is a combination of not only exam stress, but also a lack of complete grasp with the content, which shows when you are forced to answer questions under exam conditions. I would strongly recommend you to get a tutor if you haven't gotten one already and make sure that you understand why you get each question wrong rather than worrying yourself over its weighting too much.

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
dont worry!
i actually failed my first maths assessment too!
i finished the hsc this year and i can confidently say it has not affected my maths rank/overall marks!

dont stress! you have heaps of assessments to go!! :)
good luck!
how did you end up?

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
You can climb back up to a relatively good rank as long as you apply devotion and effort.

I actually failed my first general mathematics task (46%) and was ranked around 39/51. Throughout the year i put a lot of effort into maths and managed to finish with a rank of 8/51.

malcolm21

HSC
N/A

Honestly, it depends. It is possible to bounce back and bring your ranking up again, depending on how you and everyone else goes in future assessments.

Think of it like this. If you have 3 tests (for the heck of it), first is weighed 25%, second is weighed 35% and the third is weighed 40%, If internals count for 50% of your mark, then the every mark in the first assessment is worth 1/8% or every 8 mark is worth 1% etc

Picture this, you get 40/100, rank 1 gets 95/100. Assuming rank 1 gets 95/100 in all their assessments, then they get 95 for their internal mark (b/c 23.75+33.25+38=94).

Considering you get 40/100 for your first assessment, you'll be around 10 marks behind no. 1. This means that even if you get 100/100 for each following test, you're internal mark will only be 85. (b/c 13.75+35+40=85). This is only internals though, it's still possible to beat rank 1, if you have a really good cohort.

At least that's how I understood the HSC.
23.75+33.25+38=94
13.75+35+40=85

Where'd you get those numbers from, I'm confused

Fiction

HSC
23.75+33.25+38=94
13.75+35+40=85

Where'd you get those numbers from, I'm confused
If rank one consistently gets 95/100 (and assuming all their tests are out of 100), then 95 * 0.25 = 23.75, where 0.25 = weighting of the first test. (this is just counting internals, the 1/8 bit is counting internals and externals), 95 *0/35 = 33.25, 95 *40 = 38, where 23.75, 33.25 and 38 are the amount that each test is worth comparatively, with consideration to their weighting.

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
If rank one consistently gets 95/100 (and assuming all their tests are out of 100), then 95 * 0.25 = 23.75, where 0.25 = weighting of the first test. (this is just counting internals, the 1/8 bit is counting internals and externals), 95 *0/35 = 33.25, 95 *40 = 38, where 23.75, 33.25 and 38 are the amount that each test is worth comparatively, with consideration to their weighting.
Right I got it now, my first assessment marks are coming in soon, I'll try to calculate what I need next tasks ( I screwed them up)

sadpwner

HSC
N/A
Depends on your peers. If they are extremely competitive, you won't recover. However, there is a possibility they get cocky and fail. At best you could be in the top 30-10% range, but top ranks are out of reach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)