I feel overwhelmed with the HSC already haha help (1 Viewer)

claudiflower

HSC
Hi year 12! I hope you don't mind me jumping into this thread, reposting from the year 11 forum because i'm hoping one of you guys might be a little wiser on these topics haha.
I'm in year 11 (graduating 2021) wow even saying that is - crazy, that's so soon.
I'm feeling overwhelmed with all the articles I'm reading, the advice I'm getting on how to study, I'm not sure what the best study method even is because there are so many ways to do it I'm feeling inclined to do them all but I obviously, do not have the time. So my first question is what are your favourite study methods? I've heard of just taking notes, taking notes then summarising, taking notes summarising then writing summaries out, index cards, Quizlet, loose-leaf paper, folders, workbooks etc? I'm very confused on what to use.

Secondly, the articles online are a little worrying, there's so much advice and contradiction and it is making me feel like I'm not ready or set up for these senior years. Where in the syllabus do I even find notes for students? how do I decode these? How do I get prepared for these course exams without even learning the content yet?

Thirdly, I've been doing online school for the past two years and am attempting to switch back to regular school but the majority of the classes are full :( it's half a term in and they still haven't provided me with what options are available. So I'm already going to be starting very behind. I'm very driven to be back in school but it means I'm probably going to have to switch some subjects for example music for a design and technology course, legal studies, photography or chemistry. If anyone has tips on catching up after getting this far behind or good subject choices because I am literally doubting everything I would love to hear it pff. Sorry for the vent guys and to anyone who replies to this you are literally the best <3

My subjects are Advanced English (is this going to be really really difficult?? should I just switch? I struggle with creative writing and speed of my writing will the time pressure get to me?) Standard maths, Modern History, Society and Culture, Biology (I'm already confused and feeling dumb) and Music (I'm a singer so I am very unfamiliar with the theory and all these technical terms/performance anxiety.

moriamsdubu

HSC
My subjects are Advanced English (is this going to be really really difficult?? should I just switch? I struggle with creative writing and speed of my writing will the time pressure get to me?)
i'm doing advanced english at the moment too, and i had basically the exact same worries as you but i've found that with creative, the best way to improve is read other creatives, practice as much as you can, and get feedback from your teachers. as for writing speed, my english teacher told our class that we should tape a battery, eraser, magnet, etc (anything small but weighted) to the tip of our pen, as it gets you used to writing with a heavy pen and sort-of trains your hand muscles, so that when you do get to exams and are just using a regular pen, you get a lot faster at writing and are able to get your thoughts onto paper faster. (think rock lee vs gaara in naruto LOL)

claudiflower

HSC
i'm doing advanced english at the moment too, and i had basically the exact same worries as you but i've found that with creative, the best way to improve is read other creatives, practice as much as you can, and get feedback from your teachers. as for writing speed, my english teacher told our class that we should tape a battery, eraser, magnet, etc (anything small but weighted) to the tip of our pen, as it gets you used to writing with a heavy pen and sort-of trains your hand muscles, so that when you do get to exams and are just using a regular pen, you get a lot faster at writing and are able to get your thoughts onto paper faster. (think rock lee vs gaara in naruto LOL)
Sorry for such a late reply! this is such a good idea, I'll have to start doing that! Thank you for helping ease my worries :)

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Hi year 12! I hope you don't mind me jumping into this thread, reposting from the year 11 forum because i'm hoping one of you guys might be a little wiser on these topics haha.
I'm in year 11 (graduating 2021) wow even saying that is - crazy, that's so soon.
I'm feeling overwhelmed with all the articles I'm reading, the advice I'm getting on how to study, I'm not sure what the best study method even is because there are so many ways to do it I'm feeling inclined to do them all but I obviously, do not have the time. So my first question is what are your favourite study methods? I've heard of just taking notes, taking notes then summarising, taking notes summarising then writing summaries out, index cards, Quizlet, loose-leaf paper, folders, workbooks etc? I'm very confused on what to use.

Secondly, the articles online are a little worrying, there's so much advice and contradiction and it is making me feel like I'm not ready or set up for these senior years. Where in the syllabus do I even find notes for students? how do I decode these? How do I get prepared for these course exams without even learning the content yet?

Thirdly, I've been doing online school for the past two years and am attempting to switch back to regular school but the majority of the classes are full :( it's half a term in and they still haven't provided me with what options are available. So I'm already going to be starting very behind. I'm very driven to be back in school but it means I'm probably going to have to switch some subjects for example music for a design and technology course, legal studies, photography or chemistry. If anyone has tips on catching up after getting this far behind or good subject choices because I am literally doubting everything I would love to hear it pff. Sorry for the vent guys and to anyone who replies to this you are literally the best <3

My subjects are Advanced English (is this going to be really really difficult?? should I just switch? I struggle with creative writing and speed of my writing will the time pressure get to me?) Standard maths, Modern History, Society and Culture, Biology (I'm already confused and feeling dumb) and Music (I'm a singer so I am very unfamiliar with the theory and all these technical terms/performance anxiety.
Hey there! I'll try to address all of your points.

1. It seems as if you are very confused about the way in which you should study, take notes etc. and that's alright! Now here's the thing: there is no proper to study. Do what suits you best, experiment with different ways or maybe even combine a bunch of different methods into one! Nobody should be out there to tell you how to study because you are in control of how you study. Personally I use Pomodoro method: 25 minutes of work then 5 minutes of break over a 2 hour interval, then I have a 15 minute break and start again. But you don't have to use this method. Again, work within your parameters, and find a way of study which you feel comfortable with.

2. You're a Year 11? Immediately you're a senior, and you're definitely capable of continuing on. Don't let sites or other sources bring you down! You know what you are capable of, I mean you're you! And it's better that you focus on your weaknesses and strengths than read some website which assumes people are very lost and need general help. You know your needs and wants, nobody else. In terms of notes, the syllabus is only really for telling you what you're learning throughout the year and can be used as a general guideline or something you integrate into your study for example. Subject-specific notes may have to be obtained through other external sources.

3. Without a doubt, there is a time everyone has been behind in their studies. I definitely know I have, and that's why I'm here to help! Rather than focusing on catching up during a lesson, you're better off listening and trying to understand what is being taught in the lesson as it reduces time later on down the track with the content you have to study. In terms of sacrificing your subjects for others you don't want to do I can understand how much of a pain that may be (I'm currently taking Physics and I didn't want to do it but the subject algorithm didn't work in my favour so I've been quite upset about that hahahaha). If you are going to be exchanging subjects, unfortunately there is not another way around it besides considering your strengths and weaknesses; what subject will make life easier for you?

4. In terms of subjects although I know there is a high demand from some students to do an absurd amount of units in Year 11 or challengingly-demanding subjects in Year 12, I don't think it's worth the time doing a course you're going to regret later down the track, or a course that isn't going to be beneficial. For this reason, being realistic and considering your strengths and weaknesses should play a big role in deciding subjects. It is important you maintain good mental health while doing subjects you enjoy. So in this case, if Advanced English is not a subject that you are comfortable in, Standard English is an alternative and there is nothing wrong with that : ) I've seen people diss Standard English (I mean I do the course myself) and I think that it's a perfectly good course despite what people have said about the scaling.

My final comment is that you've got this! I believe that you have a way of deciding what works for you and you are able to do this to your advantage. I hope I have helped and good luck! :)

@claudiflower

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)