• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

i have under 14gb of memory left....what's next? (1 Viewer)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Anything more than 3GB on a 32XP machine is just going to be a waste. In addition, it is not recommended to have more than two modules on an AMD system as it changes timing from 1T to 2T. I'm not sure if they fixed it with AM2.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
We've got a dual core dual processor G5 Mac with 8GB of ram at work.

Its nice.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Templar said:
Anything more than 3GB on a 32XP machine is just going to be a waste. In addition, it is not recommended to have more than two modules on an AMD system as it changes timing from 1T to 2T. I'm not sure if they fixed it with AM2.
Yeah, using all 3 slots on my particular chipset reduced my DDR400 to DDR333. I recall doing a few tests, and such a deficient configuration resulted in me getting 11,000 in 3DMark03 instead of 13,200.. a rather large difference which I'm sure would of translated to a considerably noticable performance gap while gaming. Last time I heard, this issue has been resolved in AM2.

I'm pretty adamant on getting 4GB of RAM next year for my DX10 machine investment. With Vista hogging up 600-800MB of primary memory in idle status, and with titles like Crysis and Supreme Commander (which boasts map sizes up to the scale of several hundred square kilometres), I'd be foolish not to go atleast 3GB.. especially since we already have games nowadays which become memory-bound until the 2GB mark (F.E.A.R anyone?).

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
The AMD memory timing problem isn't bound to any particular chipset, but rather as a peculiarity of the S939 memory controller on the CPU. It would be safe to assume that it would be fixed with the current update of DDR2 RAM, hence eliminating the problem of max 2GB on a computer (or 1GB if you wanted DDR at 2-2-2-5, although Corsair do have 1GB that can be manually adjusted to that timing at a very high price).

The Gigabyte PCI RAM is a brilliant idea but hampered by design. It uses the old SATA format that ran at 150MBps instead of the newer 300MBps, considering that even it will be a bottleneck for the slowest DDR RAM. Otherwise it is quite a good piece of hardware, expensive, space hogging and somewhat impractical, but definitely something you want on your wishlist.

coolkoombaya

HSC
yeah, i got a Maxtor PATA 200gb hard drive for 99 bucks about a month ago. u can get it for 95 now.

qapl

HSC
Collin said:
Yeah, using all 3 slots on my particular chipset reduced my DDR400 to DDR333. I recall doing a few tests, and such a deficient configuration resulted in me getting 11,000 in 3DMark03 instead of 13,200.. a rather large difference which I'm sure would of translated to a considerably noticable performance gap while gaming. Last time I heard, this issue has been resolved in AM2.
Are u sure you are not mixing 2 higher quality ram chips which are exactly the same with a lower quality chip that is different. I need confirmation that filling more than 2 slots lowers latency and bandwidth even when all 4 chips are identical in every way.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Using more than 2 modules on a S939 AMD CPU changes the command rate from 1T to 2T within the memory controller. It's a well documented case, Google it up.

sunny

meh.
HSC
TerrbleSpellor said:
By memory, do you mean Hard Disk space?
Yes that was already determined quite a few posts up.

BradCube

HSC
I would love to be able to have more RAM in my system. I have 2gb of the stuff in my system at the moment and After Effects still gives me out of memory errors. Video editing is such a resource hog. Can't wait to build a new system next year...

Back to the topic though, I would definatley be installing the drive myself, but if your not familiar with the insides of computers it may seem a little daunting at first. If you have any friends that are into building computers, why not ask them if they could do it for you? It's a very simple process and it would be a far better option then paying a business to do the same thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)