i need to know... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all..
i was just wondering... for essays, or basically anything, when you are doing word count, do you count the bits you para-phrased??
cos i know you dont add your quotes, but how about the bits that are para-phrased???? :confused:
thanx...!

Jacks

HSC
You add in everything that you write, excluding any appendix and/or bibliography. I'm assuming you'll be referencing what you paraphrase? It's similar to a quote in that way...if you get the idea, (even if you don't directly quote something) from any source you have to reference where that idea came from. As it becomes part of your supporting argument though, yes it counts towards the word limit. Quotes have always been counted in any essay I have done...so unless you have been told differently you should always count quotes too...check with your tutor but generally they count, or always have for me. :)

ahhhh ok...
cos i was just freaking out cos im doing my psych essay - and im soooooo under the word limit... but thats when i didnt count my para-phrasing and quotes.... and i havent done my conclusion.. hehe
anywayz thanx for ur help as always ur ever so helpfuL! :D

ahh so is that what a citation is???
yeh ive referenced my para-phrasing... im very careful about everything cos i dont want to be accused of plagarising... !
anywayz thanx! :uhhuh:

Jacks

HSC
yes that's right, a citation is basically just a reference...or an acknowledgment of a source from which you take an idea or quote...the way you do this depends on the style you are using...though I'm sure you're ok with that...let us know if you need any specific help with referencing style...but if you think you need to, and haven't already, you can pick up a style manual from the co-op...they don't cost much and they tell you everything you need to know about referencing...they're worth a look if you're not used to academic writing and referencing, and are likely to answer any questions you have. ;)

Last edited:
HSC
natstar said:
Even if u paraphrase, you have to cite the reference in which you got it.

do you have to in-text reference paraphrased statements, and references which you based your ideas on....if so then wouldn't everyone be in-text referencing every sentence, since every sentence is something they've most likely learnt from a textbook and/or tutes

most of my essay is quotes and para-phrased stuf.... im gonna get someone to proof read it for me, to make sure i havent quoted or cited too much
but whooo i finished my essay.. now all i gotta do is type it up, get sum1 to proof read it and learn how to reference :D hehe

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I've forgotten how to reference, lol. Gotta find that piece of paper.

giggles869 - theres some links in the library website which have instructions on how to reference if your still unsure.

yerr i bought the style manual.. which i gotta find... :( it should be on my bedroom floor or something.. hehe
can anyone tell me how to set WORD to double space automatically?!?!
thanxx....:D hehe

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Double spacing:

Format --> Paragraph --> Line spacing double :)

i guess thats what your meaning.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Dumdida said:
what's space and a half layout mean? how can u space 1 and a half times? i dnt get it...
Space and a half means:

Format --> Paragraph --> Line spacing --> 1.5 spacing.

Jacks

HSC
you can format your document to 1.5 spacing as cape outlined above. Basically you're asked to do this to give tutors some space to comment, to make it easier to read long essays etc.

1.5 spacing just means that instead of having writing on every line, directly underneath the line before, it as you'd be used to, you have a bit of a gap or space between lines. So in other words, there is a little bit of room to write above what's typed without writing on top of the previous line of typing...if that makes sense...it's easy to do...there is also an icon on the toolbar that allows you to set the line spacing...though cape's way is just as easy. You'll have to highlight the text beforehand though, if you've already written it. :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
hmm ... I like 1.5 spacing. :) more work in less room :p

I'm doing an assignment now with single spacing - first time at uni, gosh!

Oh, hello Jacks - haven't seen you on lately? Been busy studying???

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
lol. Glad someone is studying :D I'm so unmotivated to do my urban geography assignment ... I really can't be bothered. Still so far behind in all my subjects - stupid flu, now I'm even further behind. Oh well.

HerO

Banned
69 Penis Avenue, Dickton Pussyville 6969.
HSC
Cape said:
lol. Glad someone is studying :D I'm so unmotivated to do my urban geography assignment ... I really can't be bothered. Still so far behind in all my subjects - stupid flu, now I'm even further behind. Oh well.
Ohhh wait, thought u said u were doin it last nite...

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
HerO said:
Ohhh wait, thought u said u were doin it last nite...
jeez ... I was. I don't want to do the assignment all at once!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)