I.T Textbook (1 Viewer)

anju_th

Ne one doin I.T dat can recoomend a suitable textbook datz well worth the money....is it worth to buy the textbook that the TAFE book referrin to "Computing Fundamentals 4th Edition" by Peter Norton?

Im doin it @ skool and da skool doesnt relli help in the way of text books....

lol

thanx

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
hey... my skool doesnt offer us a textbook either... but we get foto copied booklets of the textbook from tafe :D

i think its from 2 different books

Kittycat

HSC
is there even any good IT textbooks? None of the people I talked to have IT textbooks.

Viper

HSC
we dont use text books at school.... Ive hear that the excel is coming out soon (too late i think)... but im sure all u other guys know more about it than me...

If you want good, precise information, go to HSC online....

http://hsc.csu.edu.au/info_tech/index.htm

I found this to be a great resource just beofre my trials.

Cheers

anju_th

Hi

Apparently theres an Excel book for IT thats bein created....i read it sumwhere in this group but not sure wn its comin out...i heard it was arnd september but yeh not sure.......

Viper

HSC
Is anyone going to bother getting the Excel textbook if it comes out in time?? Wont it be a bit late?

anju_th

Tru...probably a bit late but it wont hurt to check it out...i mean id rather spend $30 improving my I.T rather dan do bad at a subject dat gets scaled down if u don get above average....ill probably chek out the content and if its worth it id probably cringe and get it :)

Viper

HSC
Ok well... this is what we can do *anju_th*....

You buy the book and then i can meet up with you and we can go through it together... ok? good. thanks!

Ill see you then

Cheers

anju_th

LOL .....if i do decide to buy it will let u know how it is.........if anyone else buys it do let us know if it is worth the pain and money

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
WHAT!!!??! This course has enough content to just about fill one A4 page (36pt)!!! hahaha. Now ya can get a textbook??!!! Do they teach you from 'chapter one; the on button' or is it worse 'the letter A'!

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
eheh you can always sell the book

or make sum1 buy it and photocopied off them !!!

Andrew_Blackwel

I Teach this subject
HSC
N/A
There are a number of text that I use to teach and you could gain access to. Ask you school to purchase or you could get them from any good book store that sells text books.im not at work at the moment so i cant give you setails only titles

"the fundamentals of system administration"
"communicating in an IT environment"
"the fundamental on network administration"

also a few websites worth reading fro glossary of terms are

www.pcwebopedia.com
www.howstuffworks.com
www.pctechguide.com

anju_th

Hi

Thanx....yeh my teacher fotocopies some of the chapters out of one or two of those textbooks mentioned above....

Andrew_Blackwel

I Teach this subject
HSC
N/A
Im back in the office now so I can give you more details of the text books that i use to teach IT

For definitions
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia 9th edition
over 15000 terms and a cd with another 5000 on it

VCE information Technology
Enterprise Skills by software publications
Computer Fundamentals by Software Publications
System Maintenance by Software Publications
MCSE training kit "Network Essentials Plus" by Microsoft
The fundamentals of System Administration by John Hamilton and Daniel Smith

There are more that I listed previously.
A good idea is to go to the Boards website and download the part b of the syllabus if your teacher hasn't already given it to u. On each of the competencies there are HSC terms and knowledge that you need to know to sit for the HSC (the last column in the info) research these terms and rote learn these. You will notice that someone last year summarised these and posted them on this website.

You must complete the core topics and 4 of the electives. The cores will be the ones that you will be examined on.

anju_th

hmm will definately check it out.....is it tru abt all the rumours dat since IT is a VET and Cat. B subject dat it will get scaled down? Will it eva get scaled up?

We did the catholic paper for the trials and i found it not too bad.. and for practice we did the independant paper and dat was a SHOCKA compard to the catholic...dat was pretti hard...wen i whinged abt it to her...she said "if u thought dat was hard the HSC is going to b even harder.." Geez i thought all the papers for trials were made xtra hard....wudnt the HSC b easier?

Is anyone goin to the IT enrichment day?

M o r p h X

yo anju.... u got a copy of dat independent... paper....

yer its tru dat It will get scaled down...

altho from what i here..... even if you get 100%....... they might not give band 6s....... i dunno if the board still hav to decide whether they will give any...

so i dont; realli know.... best jus to not worri bout it.

puffkenny

HSC
my school just printed out the entire IT online course off NSW HSC ONLINE and give it to us as textbooks

anju_th

R u srz.....even if u get 100%....dats a bit slackkkkkk...my teacher has the copy of it....i dunno if she has it on disk...ill ak tho...b4 skool ends :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)