i this any good for related text (1 Viewer)

vas

Anyone advise using The Godfather as stimulus. If you have seen the movie, youll know Al Pacino chnages dramatically in that movie. I used it in my trial and my teacher said make sure it relates to the question. Also they warned me of anything nehgative as they want chnage to be portrayed as positive, not from someone who becomes a mafia king.

Also the song "Otherside" from the chili peppers

How long, how long will i slide?
or seperate my side
i dont, i dont belive its bad
slitting my throat is all i ever
i gotta take it on the otherside
take it on ther otherside
take it ooooooonnnnnnn, take it on

now the lyrics dont actually specify how he changed but he i pondering on chnage with the rhetorical "how long will i slide"
and "slitting my throat"is a metaphor for harming himself (with drugs).

Now would this song be useful in the essay to say some bullshit like "the singer is pondering change blah blah from the condition he is now, he uses rhtorical quetions, repetition blah blah" some shit like that

also in that song in the bridge his voice tone changes and he goes I TEAR IT DOWN I TEARIT DOWN AND NOW IM BORN AGAIN
and the guitar kicks in and it sounds mad....anyway..umm

will this be a good source material, my main query is that he is merely contemplating change in the verse then in the bridge he did say he changed...so any good?
thanks....

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
they want a positive change? i would ring the hsc line about that, i don't see why a negative change is wrong.

song - yeah, remember the markers will most probably not know your text, and so you can make small things look big, exclude the irrelevant stuff

if you can back up what you are saying, give techniques, tell the change which is taking place, and relate it to the question you should be fine

ssj_goku

The Godfather is a good text to use. The changing nature of mafia-family relationships, power structures helps to demonstrate the unstoppable nature of change. In addition, while you don't always have to talk about positive changes, and using negative changes helps to provide balance, it might help if you talk about change itself as positive. For example, Corleone's negative changes help him evolve as a person, in that being surrounded by death helped him to appreciate life.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
yea you definitely don't have to portray change as a positive force, and i wouldn't use lyrics if i could help it.

SmokedSalmon

HSC
I'm using Under the Bridge as a supp. text too. It is perfectly fine to use that song, I've used it for my last 2 exams and it hasn't failed me.
About the positive change... well not all change is for the better so I think your teacher is wrong there. Call up the HSC advice line to clarify this just to be sure though.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
The whole 'Change' topic isn't necessarily about positive changes. Some texts (The Door, some Skrzynecki ones) are about not changing or a fear of change or even just a motivation to change, but don't actually address the direct process of changing.

*shrugs* You can interpret it a myriad of ways. I see it as: if you can JUSTIFY what you're saying, you're perfectly correct.

HannieStar

its well looked upon when candiates explore the positive AND negative impacts of change- it demonstrates a broader understanding

I wouldnt use that song- i don't think the message is overt enough.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)