Idt or ipt (1 Viewer)

rachel.iik

HSC
What’s the difference idt and ipt which one is better which one is harder any opinions thoughts

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
What’s the difference idt and ipt which one is better which one is harder any opinions thoughts
Eh can’t really say which one is better or harder. Both are really easy and even though difficulty is relative, I have yet to meet anyone who found them difficult which can be a decent indicator.

vinlatte

HSC
The main difference is that IDT is a VET course (equivalent to TAFE) and IPT is a category A course (like most other subjects).

A VET course allows you to graduate with a certificate (usually a level II or III) and the structure is different than other subjects. There are no formal assignments, rather class tasks that test your competencies for the certificate. However, trials and the HSC exam are the only things measured for your final mark in that subject; unlike category A subjects where they include marks from yr 12 assignments.

Also, part of the requirements of a VET course is 70 hrs of work placement, split into 1 week of 7hr full-time shifts (usually once in yr 11 and another in yr 12) . This can look good on a resume and help with deciding on future career paths, but you can miss out on the school work of other subjects during work placement.

Last edited:

Deadinside

HSC
N/A
For vet subjects how does the atar work is it 100 hsc exam or trials count?

vinlatte

HSC
For vet subjects how does the atar work is it 100 hsc exam or trials count?
VET subjects are different that throughout prelims and hsc, you are working towards completing the competencies for the certificate.

For the hsc mark, that is only from external marks of the hsc exam. Thus, the trials are only a practice of the hsc, and won't count towards the final mark. This is why VET subjects have optional hsc exams.

Deadinside

HSC
N/A
VET subjects are different that throughout prelims and hsc, you are working towards completing the competencies for the certificate.

For the hsc mark, that is only from external marks of the hsc exam. Thus, the trials are only a practice of the hsc, and won't count towards the final mark. This is why VET subjects have optional hsc exams.
So it’s 100 % hsc?

vinlatte

HSC
Yeah basically. But you still need to complete the trials in order to do the hsc exam.
I would say the content is "easier" since the content is considered "not rigourous enough" unlike category A subjects. But it's also not a dropkick subject, you still need to put effort to understand the concepts and apply it to work industries.

Deadinside

HSC
N/A
ohhhh is the exam about stuff we learn in year 11 and twelve?

vinlatte

HSC
Entertainment and IDT
Ooh that's pretty cool combo. That means if you want an atar, only one of those counts right?

Check the syllabi on NESA and see which units are examinable. Your school might have an elective unit which is not part of the exam. I do hospo, and my school's elective unit is making sandwiches. Just check with your subjects.

vinlatte

HSC
Yea I’m dropping one of those both are examinable
Wait like dropping a subject? You should still keep both, and only do one exam for one of the VET subjects. I would advise to keep both so that you can graduate high school with two Cert. II. You'll be much more qualified than others who only have the hsc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)