• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

If I do engineering flexible first year than do I have to do 4 years or 5 yeras? (1 Viewer)

sghguos

HSC
N/A
If I do engineering flexible first year than do I have to do 4 years or 5 yeras?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Then*

Depends on the type of engineering you end up changing into.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Might be useful specifying what university you are talking about. Some universities don't have any major specific subjects in the first semester or year. You can take that as a good or a bad thing lol, personally i would have hated last semester if i didn't have at least one subject relevant to the major i am doing. I think most (all?) of the universities offering flexible first year courses won't have, or won't require you to have any major specific subjects in the first year.

It also depends on your subject selection i guess, if you try and pick a heap of core subjects you won't have any wasted time. For example, at UTS i don't believe there is any flexible first year option but you would be able to get away with being undecided on a major for the first year if you choose your subjects carefully.

zxreth

HSC
Actually @USYD it's not really flexible "first year" as the name might lead you to believe. Rather it's more of a flexible first semester because they make you choose your stream near the end of the first sem. That's what happened to a mate of mine anyway.

engineering

HSC
N/A
4 years - as long as you are in the right stream of FFY. There is FFY(A) that goes into Civil, Aero, Chemical, etc and FFY (B) that leads you to Elec, Mechatronic, IT etc. If you swap between those it is more than 4 yrs.
See http://sydney.edu.au/engineering/futurestudent/flexiblefirstyear.shtml.

For "some" streams you need to decide what you want to do after Sem 1 (eg to do chemical eng, or any of the stream B), but the rest (eg civil v mech v aero) you can decide after Sem 2.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
No you won't unless you suddenly make some drastic change to what major you want to do. You'll have to make a decision on what option subject you want to do. What you choose will be a pre-req for some 2nd semester and 2nd year subjects but not be a pre-req for others.

You opened up several threads asking about uni on these forums about several different fields so it seems like you're experiencing uncertainty about the future. So instead of asking around these forums and receiving narrow/insufficient answers go ask do some research about what field you want to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)