Illness/Misadventure (1 Viewer)

JHF

HSC
N/A
If illness/misadventure is accepted how does the BOS calculate your marks?

D94

HSC
N/A
Basically....

If you do not sit the exam: If you are not first or last internally, they pin the first person with the highest moderated mark (so after the exam and after aligning) and the lowest with the lowest moderated mark (assessments), and place you where you should be in the order of assessment marks, keeping in mind the initial gap difference between one higher and one lower. Then, wherever you were placed, you'd receive that moderated assessment mark, and this will effectively be your HSC mark.

If you do sit the exam: you will receive which ever is higher, moderated assessment or the mark you get in the exam.

JHF

HSC
N/A
I sat the exam and didn't do well due to having an anxiety attack. So where does that put me with marks? Does that mean that my HSC mark will be the internal mark I get after everyone has been moderated, i'm ranked 6th - does that have an impact? Thanks.

D94

HSC
N/A
I sat the exam and didn't do well due to having an anxiety attack. So where does that put me with marks? Does that mean that my HSC mark will be the internal mark I get after everyone has been moderated, i'm ranked 6th - does that have an impact? Thanks.
So essentially, you would be taken our of the moderation process, and then your school marks are moderated as per your school's performance. Then they would place you in between the 5th and 6th moderated assessment marks, and look at the gap difference between the raw internal assessment marks. So yes, being 6th rank does affect how you essentially go, and that your final HSC mark will be the moderated assessment mark for the course.

JHF

HSC
N/A
So essentially, you would be taken our of the moderation process, and then your school marks are moderated as per your school's performance. Then they would place you in between the 5th and 6th moderated assessment marks, and look at the gap difference between the raw internal assessment marks. So yes, being 6th rank does affect how you essentially go, and that your final HSC mark will be the moderated assessment mark for the course.
Ok. I think I understand. Would that apply for both paper 1 & 2 of English? The problem happened in paper 2?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok. I think I understand. Would that apply for both paper 1 & 2 of English? The problem happened in paper 2?
If you applied for one of the papers only and were accepted then it would only be an estimate for that paper, and they would base the estimate both on your performance in paper 1 and your performance so far this year (the distance between the cohort's mean and your internal assessment mark will be maintained)

JHF

HSC
N/A
If you applied for one of the papers only and were accepted then it would only be an estimate for that paper, and they would base the estimate both on your performance in paper 1 and your performance so far this year (the distance between the cohort's mean and your internal assessment mark will be maintained)
Ok...

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you understand?

Okay let's say these are the results of your cohort:
1 - 90%
2 - 77%
2 - 77%
3 - 70%
4 - 68%
5 - 65%
6 - 63%
7 - 57%
8 - 55%
9 - 50%
10- 48%
11- 47%
12- 45%

(I'm cutting your class because I cbf doing 18 people)

Let's say since you're 6/18, that in this instance you are 4/12.
Anyways, from this result the mean is all the numbers added divided by the number of candidates. So,
your distance between the average is in this instant.
But in the exam for paper 1 your class gets:
1 - 42
2 - 41
3 - 40
4 - 38
5 - 37
6 - 36
7 - 34
8 - 32
9 - 31
10- 30
11- 28
12- 26
Therefore the mean of the test is .
Now, let's say you performed better for this test, getting 40/45 as opposed to getting

UGH MY MATHS IS FAILING OVER THE COMPUTER!!!
Cbf fixing or continuing.
Hope that helps a little. :p

CLD

HSC
Last year back in 2010, my sister could not sit for her English (Advanced) Paper Two and Chemistry. Her Illness and Misadventure form was accepted by the Board of Studies New South Wales.

Results were: Subject / School Assessment (Internal) Mark / External Mark / Overall Higher School Certificate Mark / Band

English (Advanced) / 91 / 75 (?) / 91 / 6

Chemistry / 78 / 88 / 83 / 5

With Chemistry, because she did better, there was no bonus. They treated her as a normal student for Chemistry.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Last year back in 2010, my sister could not sit for her English (Advanced) Paper Two and Chemistry. Her Illness and Misadventure form was accepted by the Board of Studies New South Wales.

Results were: Subject / School Assessment (Internal) Mark / External Mark / Overall Higher School Certificate Mark / Band

With Chemistry, because she did better, there was no bonus. They treated her as a normal student for Chemistry.

yours

HSC

Bizarre. I know someone who got misadventure for one exam because she did poorly in it, so they gave her an estimate of what a person of her rank would receive, using the results from the cohort (it must've been better than her real result, because on her certificate it said 'misadventure' instead of an exam mark).

However on a separate exam the misadventure was not accepted, even though her reasoning was exactly the same. Her exam mark was lower than her internal mark and she got it instead of misadventure. The misadventure board is evidently dodgy.

CLD

HSC
Bizarre. I know someone who got misadventure for one exam because she did poorly in it, so they gave her an estimate of what a person of her rank would receive, using the results from the cohort (it must've been better than her real result, because on her certificate it said 'misadventure' instead of an exam mark).

However on a separate exam the misadventure was not accepted, even though her reasoning was exactly the same. Her exam mark was lower than her internal mark and she got it instead of misadventure. The misadventure board is evidently dodgy.
In this case, this person needs to redo his or her Higher School Certificate just for that course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)