Im in year 11, (year 12 now) few questions (1 Viewer)

Strife7777

HSC
N/A
These are my subs:

4 unit english
General Maths
3 unit history
2 unit SOR
2 unit Business studies

So far we have had one assesment (already) for modern history and i came 2nd with 74 %. Im aiming for a 90 UAI, and usually anm towards the top of my classes, but the top marks in exams always seem to be in the 70s, does that mean my UAI will be in the 70s? Its almost impooisble for me to band 6 an exam.

VQ

HSC
No, if u hav 70s in ur exams, it doesn't mean ur UAI will be the same...

As far as I know, the marks u get in ur assessment is not counted, the rank is (so just boost your rank up to the 1st and u will be 'safe' for a while). Also, if u get 70s for the HSC, it will still be aligned, and scaled. 70s may mean u'll get higher in ur UAI contribution, or lower (when the subject is scaling down)....

(An assessment already? I remember my 1st assessment task was Physics and it was just before X'mas holiday...)

rcandelori

Strife7777 said:
These are my subs:

4 unit english
General Maths
3 unit history
2 unit SOR
2 unit Business studies

So far we have had one assesment (already) for modern history and i came 2nd with 74 %. Im aiming for a 90 UAI, and usually anm towards the top of my classes, but the top marks in exams always seem to be in the 70s, does that mean my UAI will be in the 70s? Its almost impooisble for me to band 6 an exam.
Plug in your marks into the SAM on this website. It will give you a rough estimate of your likely UAI.

nwatts

HSC
No, because assessment marks = absoultely nothing. (That is, apart from determining your ranks.) ;)

Secure yourself solid ranks, study hard for HSC exams and you'll ensure yourself a high UAI.

Also, you've only just started the HSC year. If you keep practicing and listen to good advice you'll find your marks slowly improving. The difference between a 16 and a 19+ (or a 20 and a 23+ in ext1) in English is pure essay practice. You're taught how to improve your marks. At this point, you shouldn't be concerned at all.

darkroomgirl

HSC
A high mark in Extension 2 English is GOLD. Make sure you update your journal regularly.

And yeah, assessments aren't that bad... just make sure you've got a decent ranking.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
Yeah its the ranking that counts.

I only have one piece of advice to offer: do a little bit often. That is, AS SOON AS U FINISH a topic begin to summarise it. then, every so often just sit down and read over it (read it out loud) that way, by the time u get to the exam it will probably be stored in your long-term memory and so u won't be so stressed when it comes to studying for the exams coz u will read over something and go "oh yeah, i remember that".

That is all. Good luck.

bondal

HSC
I remember in my first modern assignment i got like 70% and i ended up with a mark of 91 and a mad rank. So you will get better if you want to. You just have to try.

rcandelori

The important thing with the histories is to know your sources and evidence WELL. And practice essay writing regularly...it can only help you in the long run....especially if you boost your rank and get into the 80s.

Aloshan

Leave School
HSC
Strife7777 said:
These are my subs:

4 unit english
General Maths
3 unit history
2 unit SOR
2 unit Business studies

leave school you will not survive

hollybox

HSC
DO NOT DO 4 UNIT ENGLISH AND 3 UNIT HISTORY. I did 4 unit english and it takes alot of dedication and TIME, TIME, TIME. Ext. History is much the same. Do not do both you will find it is too much. I think its better to do one of them really well then both of them average or not so well. The history ext. thesis is due very early one as well so be prepared and use the x mas holidays!

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
two major works can be a killer but looking at your other subjects they are easy as piss so you shouldnt have much problem if you enjoy english and history. why are you worrying now? do the worrying when you have to, but you should now just look forward to christmas and getting pissed on nye.

nwatts

HSC
hollybox said:
DO NOT DO 4 UNIT ENGLISH AND 3 UNIT HISTORY. I did 4 unit english and it takes alot of dedication and TIME, TIME, TIME. Ext. History is much the same. Do not do both you will find it is too much. I think its better to do one of them really well then both of them average or not so well. The history ext. thesis is due very early one as well so be prepared and use the x mas holidays!
Do both if you want. They're both solid courses.

If you're doing a short story for EE2, I see no problem.

HSC
A tip for general maths is study ahead, learn all the course work by the time next term starts. With business studies, skim over the entire course as well, because then it all clicks in really nicely towards the end (about what all topics mean) and only then do you really understand it well, if you had that understanding earlier it'd be alot better...

cint

HSC
ranking is probably the most important thing - keep your ranks up and you'll do well
do heaps of practice essays/tests etc - your assesments will get better and better
and also - stay really organised - summarise the topics you do within subjects etc.
goodluck deary

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
i had no idea that assessment marks mean nothing except for deteriming ranks. here i am shitting myself coz my marks were so shithouse, but rankings were good. HAHAHAH this is good news!!

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
rcandelori said:
Plug in your marks into the SAM on this website. It will give you a rough estimate of your likely UAI.
No no no!
It won't. Your expected UAI will be far less than what you'll get if you do that. The marks you get from your HSC are very different to the marks you'll be getting in the school exams.
E.g. a one paragraph response to a 40 minute exam in Adv. English got a band 2 for the HSC (check the standards packages if you don't trust this). Do you think that'd receive a 50% in a mark you get back from the school? Of course not. More like 15%. They align it up substantially!
Instead estimate your placing in the state based on your placing in the school and its placing, and then use SAM.

illmatic

NaS
HSC
hey dont stress about this now man, you got a LONG way to go so don't worry about it

enjoy your last year at school :)

a8o

HSC
shellybelly087 said:
i had no idea that assessment marks mean nothing except for deteriming ranks. here i am shitting myself coz my marks were so shithouse, but rankings were good. HAHAHAH this is good news!!
Wish I knew too...cause although my marks and ranks are great, I got stressed when I dropped a few marks.

Pffft.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)