Improve at math (1 Viewer)

jonhysmitw2

HSC
Im currently doing advanced math and am in year 11, any tips for improving in maths, i'm currently doing about 3-4 hours of maths studying a day and feel like im progressing quite slowly. Any tips would be great thanks :D

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
If you are spending that much time spending math each day and are getting 'slow progress', consider changing the way you study to make it more efficient with your time allocated

What's your routine now? That may make it easier to help/give tips

jonhysmitw2

HSC
If you are spending that much time spending math each day and are getting 'slow progress', consider changing the way you study to make it more efficient with your time allocated

What's your routine now? That may make it easier to help/give tips
My routine currently is basically completing all the questions in the textbook until I get a good understanding of everything, however after a couple of days I forgot about 30% of the things that I learn, so I end up having to redo the questions again until I remember everything again.

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
Try active recall/spaced repetition

Also, don't go and redo the questions after a few days as that has little benefit. When you do that and go back to that specific topic, you would want to test yourself on harder types of questions, not the same ones

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
My routine currently is basically completing all the questions in the textbook until I get a good understanding of everything, however after a couple of days I forgot about 30% of the things that I learn, so I end up having to redo the questions again until I remember everything again.
For me, I like to make theory notes in a separate notebook to record the 'theory' bits of the maths lesson I did, then some examples. I also have a tendency to make careless mistakes or not understand how to do some harder questions, so you could record your mistakes in another notebook like I do (I call it the mistakes log, and it's where I try to redo questions to see where I got wrong; if I don't know how to do it or still get it wrong, I look at the worked solutions). You don't need to redo the questions -- I do believe writing down key notes and just practising a variety of questions should be enough (and make sure to correct/fix any mistakes you have so that you have it ingrained in your mind so you don't repeat it).

Addition to the advice above -- try and aim to do some exam-style questions (which are generally harder than basic textbook questions), maybe from past papers for example.

Yeaidk

HSC
maybe you have not fully understood the concepts/content thats causing you to have to revise over and over again. try understanding why you use that particular equation? why you do each step of the working out? Like for example during permutations, why is the number of permuatations for circle different for permutations for line? Maths is about achieving fluency not how many questions you do. also for me, i find it more benefical to complete exam style questions rather than textbook after i have fully understood the content (Like how masaken has suggested above).

jonhysmitw2

HSC
maybe you have not fully understood the concepts/content thats causing you to have to revise over and over again. try understanding why you use that particular equation? why you do each step of the working out? Like for example during permutations, why is the number of permuatations for circle different for permutations for line? Maths is about achieving fluency not how many questions you do. also for me, i find it more benefical to complete exam style questions rather than textbook after i have fully understood the content (Like how masaken has suggested above).
Where can i find exam style questions, all the past papers i've found are on topics I haven't covered and just questions which are way harder than my actual class exams.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Where can i find exam style questions, all the past papers i've found are on topics I haven't covered and just questions which are way harder than my actual class exams.
Acehsc and THSC. They have ones from good private schools and good selective schools

jonhysmitw2

HSC
I've gone through some of those past papers and I only know about 20-30% of the content though, what should I do?

grindtoget99

HSC
I've gone through some of those past papers and I only know about 20-30% of the content though, what should I do?
for now you should only questions on the stuff that you are getting tested on/taught at school (unless you have accelerated content by going tutoring, then it doesn't hurt to go through all the questions). what i do/my teachers do is screenshot past trial questions or hsc papers on the topics that are getting tested soon. this way you are making sure you have a chance to apply your knowledge on question format that are likely in your school exam. (this can be applied to other subjects as well)

braintic

HSC
N/A
Perhaps the first suggestion should be to call it MATHS. We are not Yanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)