improving in year 12? (1 Viewer)

weekend

HSC
Hi guys.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience in doing not so well in previous years, but doing well in year 12?
I know this may sound really stupid, but I'm just feeling really demotivated and worried about not doing well in year 12 because of how I have been doing in high school so far. I go to a top 5 selective school, but I am still yet to find an effective study method for myself. I really only have one shot at this HSC thing :confused: but I don't know if this is going to work out since I don't have any successes in previous years 😞 I don't know how I am even going to study for the HSC in an effective way 😓 If anyone has any tips with their HSC experiences it would be greatly appreciated :)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
It's possible to do well in Year 12, without doing as well you want before.

The main aspect in getting a good ATAR is consistency. The rest in terms of how people study is personal preference and will work for them but may not work everyone. The most important thing is actually putting in the time and studying. You have to study throughout the year and do more than what is assigned just by the school. This means making notes, doing practice paper questions and studying ahead. The practice paper part is really important. It's not about doing full papers from the beginning but getting exposure to exam like questions as soon as possible. These should be completed as you are doing the topic at school or while you learning the content from a textbook if you are learning ahead by yourself, rather than in the lead up to an exam, which is a common mistake many students make. The questions in textbooks are not able to replicate the questions you might get in an exam, particularly for subjects like maths and sciences. The textbook is useful for initially learning the concepts, but not the best for actually mastering them in the exam setting.

weekend

HSC
It's possible to do well in Year 12, without doing as well you want before.

The main aspect in getting a good ATAR is consistency. The rest in terms of how people study is personal preference and will work for them but may not work everyone. The most important thing is actually putting in the time and studying. You have to study throughout the year and do more than what is assigned just by the school. This means making notes, doing practice paper questions and studying ahead. The practice paper part is really important. It's not about doing full papers from the beginning but getting exposure to exam like questions as soon as possible. These should be completed as you are doing the topic at school or while you learning the content from a textbook if you are learning ahead by yourself, rather than in the lead up to an exam, which is a common mistake many students make. The questions in textbooks are not able to replicate the questions you might get in an exam, particularly for subjects like maths and sciences. The textbook is useful for initially learning the concepts, but not the best for actually mastering them in the exam setting.
Thank you for the reply jazz519 :) You always have such helpful tips!! Thank you, really appreciate it.

Hiheyhello

HSC
Hi guys.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience in doing not so well in previous years, but doing well in year 12?
I know this may sound really stupid, but I'm just feeling really demotivated and worried about not doing well in year 12 because of how I have been doing in high school so far. I go to a top 5 selective school, but I am still yet to find an effective study method for myself. I really only have one shot at this HSC thing :confused: but I don't know if this is going to work out since I don't have any successes in previous years 😞 I don't know how I am even going to study for the HSC in an effective way 😓 If anyone has any tips with their HSC experiences it would be greatly appreciated :)
YES THERE’S HOPE, I PEAKED THIS YEAR

idkkdi

HSC
Hi guys.

it all comes down to who grinds the most and most consistently.

there's very low instances of grind machines not doing well.

weekend

HSC
it all comes down to who grinds the most and most consistently.

there's very low instances of grind machines not doing well.
focus on what you can control: the effort
Even if you didn't do well in the previous years, the past does not define you. If you put in enough effort this year, and are consistent with your studying you got this.
thanks everyone 😀 grinding consistently is obviously gonna be really hard.. but i mean what can i do it’s my last chance at this 🤭 thanks guys!! really appreciate you all for the motivation👍👍

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)