Indices and Logarithms (1 Viewer)

mathsbrain

HSC
N/A
hi, is it safe to assume index laws and logarithmic laws only apply(apply without need to confirm other things...) for positive bases?
E.g. for equations like log(base x) 4=2, we only get the answer of 2 and not negative 2 right?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
hi, is it safe to assume index laws and logarithmic laws only apply(apply without need to confirm other things...) for positive bases?
E.g. for equations like log(base x) 4=2, we only get the answer of 2 and not negative 2 right?
Log based are generally restricted to be positive numbers (excluding 1), so yes.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
thanks, what's the reason behind this?
Basically logb(x) is the inverse function to bx when b > 0 (and b ≠ 1), but if b < 0, then bx isn't generally well-defined in the real numbers for general real x (like (-1)1/2 doesn't exist in the real numbers (and in fact is multivalued in complex numbers)), so we can't define an inverse function to it.

Last edited:

mathsbrain

HSC
N/A
Basically logb(x) is the inverse function to bx when b > 0 (and b ≠ 1), but if b < 0, then bx isn't generally well-defined in the real numbers for general real x (like (-1)1/2 doesn't exist in the real numbers (and in fact is multivalued in complex numbers)), so we can't define an inverse function to it.

wow very advanced haha, thanks! more reading now!
but generally speaking for INDICES a^x, the base a CAN be negative right? So for example, x^(2/3)=4, we can have -8?

I guess what i'm trying to clarify is, in logs, base cant be negative, but in exponentials it can? And thats why in the example x^2/3=4, we have to answer +/-8 and not just 8??

Last edited:

HSC
wow very advanced haha, thanks! more reading now!
but generally speaking for INDICES a^x, the base a CAN be negative right? So for example, x^(2/3)=4, we can have -8?

I guess what i'm trying to clarify is, in logs, base cant be negative, but in exponentials it can? And thats why in the example x^2/3=4, we have to answer +/-8 and not just 8??

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)