individual and society (1 Viewer)

yellow_sub

Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
37
Location
newcastle
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
what did we all think?

the essay question was pretty nicely general and fit well with anything i reckon. i just called it a conflict between freedom and control, with intimidation forming a major facto of that control. 11.5 pages for that.

and the creative writing was pretty general too. i wrote about an irish woman who had left ireland due to the famine, and now lived on an australian farm and she was looking at the locket and reminiscing about ireland and family and such, while working in how out of place she felt at home and in australia and as a woman and blah blah blah. 9 pages for that one.

overall, rather nice. nothing terribly evil like in past papers, but challenging enough.
 

bethdocker85

New Member
Joined
May 22, 2006
Messages
29
Location
Sydney
Gender
Female
HSC
2007
Yeah, I pretty much agree. It wasn't too easy, but it wasn't overly hard either.

I thought the "intimidation" bit of the question was really odd, but I think i managed to work it in by kinda linking intimidation to oppression, and saying how intimidation of society's values and stuff kinda affected the individual's pursuit of freedom. So haha yeah a bit of a stretch, but tied it in. Wrote 18 pages for that one.

Creative writing was pretty good, just worked the locket into my preprepared story. Was about like political economy in 19th C Russia and the Decembrist Uprising, so yeah, pretty boring haha. Wrote 12 pages.

Overll verdict = eh.

Woo one left!!
 

yellow_sub

Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
37
Location
newcastle
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
just randomly off topic, beth you do almost exactly the same subjects as me, except i do 2 unit maths and music 2. crazy stuff. 18 and 12? damn thats good. 1.5 times what i did.
 

Harry Bannister

New Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
13
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
The essay question really suited what i had prepared for and the creative stimulus was really quite accessible. WARNING TO ALL YOU WHO HAVE EXAMS TO COME: don't believe everything people tell you about getting a good nights sleep. If you're a late night person and you work late, don't feel obliged to sleep! I tried it this time, staying up to cover everything and I feel I did really quite ok. Just a suggestion though.
 

Wooz

^wooz*y^
Joined
Aug 14, 2005
Messages
2,471
Location
Campbelltown
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
The essay question was alright, except for the intimidation part. I wrote 13.5 pages for the essay and 11.5 pages for the creative.

bethdocker85: I'm suprised you wrote about the 19thC in Russia, esp when the syllabus is more inclined towards 19thC in Western Europe.

Oh, yeah do you write big 18 pages is, well alot, i write on avg 5 words per line.

History ext left w00t.
 

mallie89

Almost free!
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
28
Location
Manly
Gender
Female
HSC
2007
I found the essay question was really easily moulded ... I just defined intimidation as how society controls the individual, and freedom/autonomy as what the individual wants to achieve, and the paradoxical nature of their relationship.

I got.. 14 pages for my essay (prepared and altered to suit the question.. wasn't as hard as I thought it would be)

and I got 16 pages for my creative (also prepared).. about a girl who married for duty to her family, not love, and her story was being told by her granddaughter, who was reminiscing because of the locket.

Here's to agreeing with Wooz - only history extension left, yipee!!
And agreeing with Harry too.. I'm a night person, I stayed up studying til 1am last night, and I still felt awesome in the exam. I'm exhausted now, but I was good for the exam.

All in all, I think it was a really good paper, not too hard, easily manipulated.
 

Wooz

^wooz*y^
Joined
Aug 14, 2005
Messages
2,471
Location
Campbelltown
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
mallie89 said:
I found the essay question was really easily moulded ... I just defined intimidation as how society controls the individual, and freedom/autonomy as what the individual wants to achieve, and the paradoxical nature of their relationship.

I got.. 14 pages for my essay (prepared and altered to suit the question.. wasn't as hard as I thought it would be)

and I got 16 pages for my creative (also prepared).. about a girl who married for duty to her family, not love, and her story was being told by her granddaughter, who was reminiscing because of the locket.

Here's to agreeing with Wooz - only history extension left, yipee!!
And agreeing with Harry too.. I'm a night person, I stayed up studying til 1am last night, and I still felt awesome in the exam. I'm exhausted now, but I was good for the exam.

All in all, I think it was a really good paper, not too hard, easily manipulated.
Hey why MACQ>UNSW for Arts/law? Im prob going to do arts/law at UNSW next year. Too many asians, Bwah!!! lol or is it just travelling distance, preference?
 

levitate

New Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
1
Gender
Female
HSC
2007
Oh god. Up until this point i was quite happy with the test and how i went, but now after seeing people writing 18 pages, not so sure any more.
**sigh**
 

tessery

Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2006
Messages
40
Gender
Female
HSC
2007
haha hey mallie89, i think i know you from somewhere...=P i thought the exam was easy, intimidation question a bit odd but not hard to manipulate too. same with the creative - i thought it was awesome how we just had to "include" it rather than have it as a motif, you could get away with so much!

arts/law at maquarie all the way! woo hoo lol xox
 

bento

Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2006
Messages
68
Gender
Female
HSC
2007
now that i think about it, i dont know if i even wrote the word 'intimidation' lol...i always rephrase the question rather than restate it..i may have said individuals were intimidated by restrictive paradigms...but i may just have said they were restricted in their freedom by the paradigms etc...oh well they shouldn't care (I hope) hehe. I wrote just over 14 for the essay and around 12 for the creative.

In the creative I wrote about the suffragettes (real women) and their feminist beliefs - based on the Social Contract philosophy and how women were not really included in it hehe...hopefully its not too clliched.
 

Venator

another member
Joined
Sep 5, 2004
Messages
9
Gender
Male
HSC
2005
well the exam...WAS THE BEST!
okay the stimulus for the locket... MY ENTIRE STORY WAS BASED ON A LOCKET!!!
i was soooooo stoked!! i wrote 16 pages for creative :D

essay was pretty standard. i wrote 17 pages for that

happy as
 

bento

Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2006
Messages
68
Gender
Female
HSC
2007
Venator said:
well the exam...WAS THE BEST!
okay the stimulus for the locket... MY ENTIRE STORY WAS BASED ON A LOCKET!!!
i was soooooo stoked!! i wrote 16 pages for creative :D

essay was pretty standard. i wrote 17 pages for that

happy as
Do you have magic hands or do you write with 3-5 words per line? Lol thats an insane amount of pages...I was writing constantly for the essay for the entire hour and only did just over 14. You're insane...seriously lol. I could imagine that many pages if you typed it..but not by hand..it gets tiring and you naturally slow down...or are you on speed? thats another possibility hehe just kidding.

Good on you for writing that much though and youre very lucky your story was based on a locket lol.
 
G

gaoOO

Guest
I thought the questions were pretty ok for individual and society. I think i managed about 15-16 pages (but my writing is pretty big)
 

Venator

another member
Joined
Sep 5, 2004
Messages
9
Gender
Male
HSC
2005
bento said:
Do you have magic hands or do you write with 3-5 words per line? Lol thats an insane amount of pages...I was writing constantly for the essay for the entire hour and only did just over 14. You're insane...seriously lol. I could imagine that many pages if you typed it..but not by hand..it gets tiring and you naturally slow down...or are you on speed? thats another possibility hehe just kidding.

Good on you for writing that much though and youre very lucky your story was based on a locket lol.
Thanks brother!
well for each of the essay + creative was about 2100 typed. i think my hand was dead though afterwards. i have no idea how i just kept writing... one of the many mysteries of the HSC i suppose...
 

shady864

New Member
Joined
May 22, 2005
Messages
1
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
yeh i agree, it was a good paper, and the creative writing was really general...almost too general in that it didnt force you to think on the spot but oh well. I wrote 20 pages for critical and only 14 for creative coz i was a bit naughty and pinched 10mins from my creative time. The paper was what i expected and overall im quite happy with how i performed.

Did everyone do a swipe in for their third related text??
Well done, you all sound like you did really well!
 

bento

Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2006
Messages
68
Gender
Female
HSC
2007
Venator said:
Thanks brother!
well for each of the essay + creative was about 2100 typed. i think my hand was dead though afterwards. i have no idea how i just kept writing... one of the many mysteries of the HSC i suppose...
Yeah you must have pretty big writing. My essay is almost 2800 typed but I only used 14 pages hehe...no idea about my creative cos i did it on the spot lol (probably not a good idea) oh well. I agree though, it is weird how you have the energy to keep going, and how youre mind works so much quicker when youre under pressure. I always reproduce essays better under exam conditions than when i merely time myself at home. I'm glad though lol...I've been trying that chewing gum thing during exams...it seems like its working for concentration. ANy one else tried that?
 

woho

Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2006
Messages
49
Gender
Female
HSC
2007
it was great! Much easier than i thought it'd be. Essay and creative both required little adaptation. Wrote 20 pgs for essay, 11.5 for creative. All in all i think it was around 2000-2100 words for essay, 1300 for creative... Woo no more English or memorising essays again EVER!!

Wow bento you have small (and incredibly fast) writing! 2800 words in 14 pages! O.O
 
Last edited:

mallie89

Almost free!
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
28
Location
Manly
Gender
Female
HSC
2007
Wooz said:
Hey why MACQ>UNSW for Arts/law? Im prob going to do arts/law at UNSW next year. Too many asians, Bwah!!! lol or is it just travelling distance, preference?
Coz I'm not even bothering to dream about getting into UNSW or USyd. They're my first choices but 99.2 and 99.5 are unattainable for me, even with my subjects. I wish you good luck though! (also yeah, travelling distance, much more convenient)

Now that we're 12 hours (almost) after the exam, I find myself oddly relieved that its over, and surprised I managed to do so much (my track record for Ex1 exams, not so good).

And Tessery (I think I know you from somewhere too :p) I love that the creative was just an inclusion, not a motif (damn half yearlies :p)

Bento -I'm totally impressed, thats huge! I had enough trouble writing my 1700 word essay and I know i forgot most of it!

How is everyones hand feeling? after 5 exams and mostly humanities mine is literally about to leave my body, even with the special provisions I have. Stupid chronic tendonitis.
 

sally13579

New Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
4
Gender
Female
HSC
2007
well im just glad that once again everyone isnt focused on how much they wrote....
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top