Indochina (1 Viewer)

Chelle

they were fair questions, but theres only so much you can write for Tonkin.. like i think i wrote about 3 pages of quality and about another 3 of absoloute fuss..

OH well the HSC is over for me!! yay!!

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
I know hey... I think its fairly stupid how much they give the question worth.. i.e 30 whole marks.. and then they give you questions focusing on one particular event... thus I did not do Tonkin but the Cambodian one.. however, there is also only so much one can write..

itll be interesting what the state average is.. what was it last year? anyone know?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I thought the questions were a bit too specific considering they were worth 30 marks... I did the Tonkin one, but after all the stuff you learnt about Indochina, the questions were kinda narrow. But they weren't too bad.

apollo

They were not hard by any means... But major respect anyone who managed 5+ pages on relevant stuff for Tonkin. That's a fuckin tough question for 30 marks!!!

I did Cambodia, despite being an 'assess', it was a lot easier. Wrote 8 pages, fairly happy with it.

K-Lo

whoa i did tonkin but i didnt do all that...think i'm screwed, i thought indochina q's were pretty tough, too specific like everyones already said. i wrote 8 pages but it was all crap...oh well its over!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah I talked about all the involvement leading up to Tonkin and then up to 1968... I said Tonkin was significant because it changed the nature of the US involvement in indochina from diplomatic ties and military and financial support in to a war. I also said it was significant because it enabled military action in Indochina without a declaration of war, and it was used as a justification to americans for being in vietnam. I don't think my answer was that great :( but hopefully it will do. I wrote 13 pages... I have shocking handwriting though!

frenchy

It wasn't too bad, i did the Tonkin question but i wish i had more time as i didnt get to complete the essay and i only wrote 3 pages.

soxrow

HSC
I thought the questions were not too bad. I had no idea on the Cambodia question so I did the Tonkin one but I also thought it was far too narrow. I wrote about 5 pages but I included a lot about political policies used by the US such as the Domino Theory etc.

Only one more to go!!!!!!

lemonade

Coffs Harbour, but will soon be in Brisbane
i thought the indochina questions were good, if not a little too specific.
i had to do tonkin because i hadnt done enough study on cambodia.
i ended up writing about 7 pages - i write about 8 to 10 words a line. 5 pages of good stuff, the last 2 were a bit frantic, lol.

i talked a bit about US presidents and their foreign policy and how the Tonkin resolution allowed Johnson to send troops over, escalating the involvement from just 'advisors' to real conflict. i started with an eisenhower quote about the domino effect too and talked about that aspect of foreign policy.
oh.. and talked about diem a bit too, and how america supported him and then didnt, and about how tonkin was needed to increase public support for war.
i was a bit annoyed about the time period though, made it too specific. i couldnt talk about the de-escalation of the war or the peace movements, although i tried to work that in.
i think i went ok... i hope everyone else did well too :)

(i do ramble a lot.. hope i didnt do that in the exam :p)

Eeko

Banned
me got fuked
misread 1954-68
thought was 64-68
got fuked midway through exam
realised i was wrong

and then suddenly from 1965- i went to 1954 the next paragraph then back to 1968

lol
OH FUKEDDDD

gonne man gonne

was slack question man
so specific

i was like on page 4 when i realised Oh wtf???
nothing to write

ghey shit

HannieStar

Yeah- I thought that they were a bit too specfic.
Our school did noooooothing on Cambodia, so I was locked into Tonkin too- I finished a whole booklet, I just didnt get to write my conclusion:(
Yeah spinspinsugar, I talked about Diem a bit to sort of pinpoint the significance. I talked to my mum (teacher) and she said that that needed to be discussed to explain the significance:) I think I rambled a bit but I got a lot of historiography in so:)

Pirri

I did the Cambodia question
and last week i rang up advice line and asked what impact the spread of war had in Cambodia and i got heaps of info until he had to attend to this other guys question and i got the dumb guy and he didnt help sht just if i kept that guy i woulda killed it damn advice line stupid teachers

I talked about Operation Menu and da civil war wit Nol and khmer Rouge with Sihanouks united Front and killing Fields stuff like that it had huge impact wiped out generations

Lolliana

wow i thought this was the best exam ever!

i do america and indochina, and interestingly enough the two options for both sections included 1 i knew next to nothing about and 1 i knew (nearly!) everything about!

so i was incredibly lucky

our first assignment was on the spread of war from vn to cambodia so i had plety of stuff to right
and our trial question was on fdr's new deal, so again it was all familiar territory

after my awful performance in yesterdays french exam, i needed this!

especially since tomorrow, i have to sit through an excruitiating paper that i will most certainly do badly in - ext french

Last edited:

Kblay

I did Cambodia as i knew more people would do Tonkin. I knew a lot of detail about the situation and I felt 8 pages got my thesis across. Plus as hardly any people did Cambodia makes it stand out

arls

i didnt do cambodia because i find the dates from 75-79 sooo confusing, and i can never remember the exact details...

so i took the 'easy' option. gulf tonkin. i think they shouldve extended the period to the 70s, but i still managed to flesh my essay into 11 pages.. (extraordinary for this kind of question i though!)

Benno

HSC
I did the tonkin one, i found it very easy to do 7 pages on it, crapped on about everthing to do with the US escalation prior to and afta Tonkin etc etc

was very broad and easy

max

That which u feel becomes
HSC
Originally posted by Kblay
I did Cambodia as i knew more people would do Tonkin. I knew a lot of detail about the situation and I felt 8 pages got my thesis across. Plus as hardly any people did Cambodia makes it stand out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)