Indochina (1 Viewer)

max

That which u feel becomes
HSC
Originally posted by Kblay
I did Cambodia as i knew more people would do Tonkin. I knew a lot of detail about the situation and I felt 8 pages got my thesis across. Plus as hardly any people did Cambodia makes it stand out
It technically wont stand out the two diff topics are seperated into their topics...so 1 marker will mark all of one area..like Cambodia...but you probably knew Cambodia more anyways!!

TastesGoodBut

i dont see why peple are saying that Tonkin was so narrow...

it was quite broad. they didnt want you to only talk about tonkin, otherwise the dates they gave would not have been 54-68. they wanted you to describe its significance in US increased intervention, but to analyse its significance it was important to first look at other elements of increase and their significance, and things like that...

My Structure:

Intro
Before 1960 - advisors, domino theory, SEATO, etc
Kennedy - increase advisors, wanted out, gave reasons for hsi increase (bay of pigs fiasco etc)
Tonkin - wrote about this in depth with hitoriography from 3 sources or sumthing
Plieku incident
Tet - described how it saw a decline in US intervention etc.

Thats basically it - if you structured it sumthing like that you should be fine.. dontworry if u think u rambled about other things, there was only one way to show how significant it was and that was by basically making a comparison toother events.

lemonade

Coffs Harbour, but will soon be in Brisbane
i structured my essay similar to yours TastesGoodBut but i think the question was a bit narrow because by asking the 'significance' of the Tonkin incident you had to relate everything you talked about to that incident. I wish they'd asked for a longer time period though because i knew lots about Vietnamisation and peace movements and all that!! (even though i tried to weave it in)
i think the paper was good though (apart from the 'narrowness' of that question - it allowed you to talk about al lot but it was necessary to relate it all to Tonkin - cause and effect wise - well i thought so anyway...)

craz

HSC
oh boy it makes me feel better after hearing u guys say that stuff. I did the Gulf of Tonkin i crapped on for about 5 pages not really crap but about the US intervention...although i lost my spelling until the very end when i fixed it all!!!! cambodia i didnt do cos i dont know it that well and we didnt really cover it well in class...so i chose the one i knew more about it-even though my history teacher knew that there would be a cambodia one cos we didnt concentrate on it.

Benno

HSC
yeah im glad to see you guys say it aswell!!! *Phew*

im also glad i related it all back to tonkin

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
i completely screwed indochina, no joke! i started writing bout Tonkin then got shitty coz i was just going around in bloody circles, it was 5 pages of pure b.s so, with 30 mins to go, i changed to cambodia. doubt it was much better tho. but a guy i know left 20 mins for indochina and only wrote 3 pages

but im hoping to pick my marks up on germany!

never have to think about diem or pol pot ever again!:D

s2ophie

HSC
I did cambodia which was alright but i was a bit circular towards the end. i though tonkin was an odd event to have tor elte significance to, i mean its only mentioned in the dates and inferred in the key features. oh well, its over

Titus

Cambodia Question

Dont you think that it is a bit rude that they would ask a question on Cambodia when it is is such a very small part of the course.

s2ophie

HSC
No not really. It is covered in at least three key features specifically and it fits in with a lot of the course ie antii war movements --> Kent state university deaths were a result of protesting against the spread to cambodia

Apathetic

I agree that the Tonkin question was a little too specific, but it was broad enough to write a quality essay.
I didnt mind it at all, and I had just enough time, which was really good (after the modules! grr!)...
And yeah, I'm finished now, so good luck to everyone who's not!

Dave_B

tonkin question was great, allowed you to write from the geneva accords all through diem, and the buildup there, to Tonkin etc, and finishing off with Tet, which commenced the start of the downfall in US numbers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)