Industrial Chem Elective Anyone??? (1 Viewer)

ByteMe

HSC
N/A
I need help!!! :confused:

For the prac dotpoint
"Identify data, plan and perform a first hand investigation to identify the products of electroylsis of sodium chloride"

What are the products? How am i supposed to identify them? And wat the hell does my results table supposed to look like??!?!?!?!
:(

Ozz^E

products vary as the sate of the nacl varies and the elctrodes being used vary. Using conc aqueous Nacl with inert electrodes the products are cholirine and hydrogen gas. But if u use a mercurycathode, the products are sodium and hydrogen. With dilute aqueous NaCl, the products are oxygen and hydrogen as the H2O gets oxidised and reduced at the two electrodes. With molten Nacl, the products will be chlorine and sodium.

Ull have to be able to write all the half-equations invovled. The main thing is that with different reactants and with differning concentrations, electrodes, different products are made.

:D :cool:

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
dont u make NaOH in electrolysis of NaCl?
I fink u juz gotta know the diaphragm, mercury and membrane process. What's wrong with some of them, the advancement in technology leading to development of PTFE to make the membrane. Reduction of technical and environmental difficulties.

ByteMe

HSC
N/A
O.I.C.

Hmmm but in an experiment how do you identify chlorine gas? I dont understand... why do we have to plan our own pracs, the chem syllabus is so annoying...

Nugs

Maybe....u could use the test to test for hydrogen (pop test? - sorry, i have simple ideas) and see which gas is hydrogen, then conclude that the other gas must be chlorine?

Anyone got any tips for my exam? It's next next week...wednesday.

(sorry if i post this twice)

ByteMe

HSC
N/A
LMAO

I'll let my chem teacher smell it... lol

Ozz^E

chlorine is mostly identified by its pugent strong odour. thats wat id use but i have to agree...if u wnat to be sure...let someone sniff in enuff. THEN OBSERVE AND RECORD RESULTS. lolll

:D :cool:

Nugs

Woohoo

Not only am I going to fail Chem, I'm going to kill myself by the end of the course... are there any other poisonous substances I should know about???

What are we supposed to know for the risk assessment thingy?

Blubby

HSC
Cholrine is a strong bleaching agent.
2 ways to identify chlorine.

1. moderately conc. Cl2 is green in colour
2. Get a litmus paper, blow/fumigate? Cl2 over the paper, if you observe discolouring (from i think red to light red) then u've found chorline.

Horndog

To test for hydrogen gase you undertake the pop test with a match and a test tube - lighting the H in a test tube should make a pop noise!

utopian731

Eudaimonian
You use one of those Hoffman voltameters. It is the one with the electrodes at the bottom of two glass cylinders

You completely fill the voltameter with 2M NaCl solution and add a few drops of universal indicator. FLip the switch and away it goes. The universal indicator at the cathofe where the OH- is produced will turn purple. After a bit of each gas has been produced, rlease each gas into a test tube and put a stopper on. The opo test can verify the hydrogen and a starch iodide test (the starchwill go blue/black) will verify the chlorine:

Cl2 +2I- > 2Cl- +I2

the I2 makes it go black

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)