• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Intel Pentium 5 CPU Due in Jan 2004 (1 Viewer)

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Umm.

{Mega|Giga}hurtz mean nothing except as a comparison between processors of the same architecture.

Take PPC, for example: A 1GHz PPC is roughly equal to a 2GHz Pentium.

If you want a legitimate method of comparing the two, look for Bogomips.

Winston

HSC
Well this processor is big jump in the IT Industry

with a FSB of 4ghz, shit....

it's crazy...

-X-

HSC
N/A
lol amazing. Well, we all have to thank AMD for this dont we? :p

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by -X-
lol amazing. Well, we all have to thank AMD for this dont we? :p
LoL i have no idea what my beloved AMD is gonna do to fight back

-X-

HSC
N/A
I recon if athlon 64s arent a success then AMD will just give up on the desktop market and probably concentrate on server / mobile. Imagine after all these, years of planning and high hopes, the athlon 64's go down. *ouch*

If it wasnt for AMD, intel would probably be introducing pentium 4's now. lol

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by -X-
If it wasnt for AMD, intel would probably be introducing pentium 4's now. lol
um...what do you mean? the pentium 4 has been around for a while...do you mean they'd only be doing it now?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
They say it is slower than the Pentium 4 EE (Emergency Edition :)) of equiv clock rate

that would be an embarassment!

"it" refers to the prescott

Last edited:

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
um...what do you mean? the pentium 4 has been around for a while...do you mean they'd only be doing it now?

Well i presume X means the competetion that AMD builds against Intel, that's what makes intel produce CPU's like monkeys lol...

-X-

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Im kind of exagerating but if it wasn't for AMD pressurring intel from the start (ie when they first released their "athlon" processor), intel wouldnt find the need to release any faster processor. So the "Pentium V" would probaby be years from now and the current P4 prices would be equivalent to the price of 50 karot gold! :D

Edit: What Winston said. :D

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
the northbridge will soon need a CPU cooler, lol
LOL YES!

gees i'm getting so bored of computing to be honest with you

because all you know is every month the clock rate just extends and extends... it really is getting boring, it's just so predictable i mean as the CPU power goes higher, and graphics cards become more powerful and operating systems handling hardware at it's best we can soon see gaming at another experience, like probably crystal clear as graphics without an inch of polygon lol...

As MS Plans to hit their newest Windows Codename Longhorn, with a new graphics and theming Engine, namely "Aero", they really are extending the capabilities of your graphics card, first of all in Windows XP the themes were rendered using images, i.e. Bitmaps and PNG's but this time MS woke up to using Vector rendered graphics for their themes, which is 100% better than images, and what's new is they're coding the OS to entirely use the processing power your graphics card has rather than relying on your CPU's processing power, so that's a heavy boost.

If people assumed that the next Windows will be a 3D Based desktop you are wrong, no plans for that till much longer away, the exected RTM date for Longhorn is roughly around 2005 - 2006, but the roadmap is changing everyday, because Bill hasn't made up his mind yet lol.

Winston

HSC
Apple will make 3D destop b4 microsoft for sure

Microsoft has head away from 3D Desktop, because it will cause too much confusion, you gotta understand one, thing people who upgrade to XP even find it hard to use, when it's so kiddy the UI and all it is is a new slapped on theme and icons over a win2k base, so u think about it if they introduce a totally new 3D desktop that's so new the concepts of WIMP is totally redefined, then isn't that just restarting every computing user, when i mean restarting every computing user i mean, if they do that, that's just saying u have to re-learn to use our new OS, why don't they all change to MACs and re-learn computing with MACs or Linux, do you see my point?

I talked to one of the developers of Windows, who's working on Longhorn, nope 3D Desktop will practically destroy the company, as it's too damn drastic for such a early stage of computing and it will cause far too much confusion and problems.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
Microsoft has head away from 3D Desktop, because it will cause too much confusion, you gotta understand one, thing people who upgrade to XP even find it hard to use, when it's so kiddy the UI and all it is is a new slapped on theme and icons over a win2k base, so u think about it if they introduce a totally new 3D desktop that's so new the concepts of WIMP is totally redefined, then isn't that just restarting every computing user, when i mean restarting every computing user i mean, if they do that, that's just saying u have to re-learn to use our new OS, why don't they all change to MACs and re-learn computing with MACs or Linux, do you see my point?

I talked to one of the developers of Windows, who's working on Longhorn, nope 3D Desktop will practically destroy the company, as it's too damn drastic for such a early stage of computing and it will cause far too much confusion and problems.

Not really.... they can always give users a choice
then the users will slowly shift towards 3D desktop

this shift is enevitable

Winston

HSC
Not really.... they can always give users a choice
then the users will slowly shift towards 3D desktop

this shift is enevitable
Well it's a long shift.. you do know introducing a 3D Desktop is just like the conversion from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
Well it's a long shift.. you do know introducing a 3D Desktop is just like the conversion from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95
That wasn't so bad! was it?

Winston

HSC
That wasn't so bad! was it?

LOL!! wasn't so bad?

Windows 95 a, b , c

it took them 3 versions to get something that won't crash every 1 hour

and then finally Windows 98 which was hell then Windows 98 SE finally heaven lol then Windows ME, they screwed it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)