internal CD-RW (1 Viewer)

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
hei can u guys tell me if its hard to install and internal cd burner. like could a fairly noob person like me do it with the help of some instructions? can someone just describe the process roughly? (im using windows 98SE - old i know, i soo need a new comp)

thnx

Winston

HSC
I have to say its about the easiest thing in installation of a piece of hardware

all you do is unscrew the case
pop out a empty slot

if you have a cd rom already

youll see this greyish wide cable connected to the cd rom

that cable has this additional plug in the middle now thats for your burner, and you also need to plug a power plug which you can see easily from the cd rom u got installed already into the cd-rw, i gotta add you gotta make sure your cd-rw is set to SLAVE it's on the back of the burner ull see this Pin u can pull out with a tweezer

it normally says two letters going down

MS
AL

something like that the MA is master SL is slave, so yea u slot the jumper in accordingly.

and that's it, Boot windows up it will auto detect.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
can i keep my old cd-rom drive if i have the extra slots, or is this gonna cos problems which could lead to headaches, which i'd rather not have :D:p

Winston

HSC
of course u can, u can have two cd roms

one for ur normal cd rom reading
and ur other for the burner

now u can burn cd's directly, becoz generally pre-brought PC's just have one cd-writer drive and no cd rom

so wen u copy a cd the contents gets copied temporarily from the source cd to the computer then it is burnt from the computer to the cd-writable.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
but will it cause any conflict between like drivers or like the BIOS or something?

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by pigs_can_fly
but will it cause any conflict between like drivers or like the BIOS or something?
lol no! :p.. of course not

why on earth would it? :S...

just do wat i told u dismantle the case

make sure u set the cd writers jumpers on the back to slave

pop a whole below the cd rom like remove that plastic bracket, then slide ur cd writer in, screw it together, then plug the plug off the grey cable into the back of the burner and plug a power plug into the burner

Now switch it on let windows do the job

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Nope it won't.

as long as you got in correctly with the right one as master or slave.

The biggest problem i had was the IDE cable that can't connect to my new HDD because it was 2 cm too short!

FFS! :(

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
Nope it won't.

as long as you got in correctly with the right one as master or slave.

The biggest problem i had was the IDE cable that can't connect to my new HDD because it was 2 cm too short!

FFS! :(

yeah its quite gay how its so not flexible that additional plug on the IDE cable, i think they should make that second plug slidable so that u can adjust it.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
With my spare slot for another drive i've modded it so i made a cut that says "Unix"

Behind it there is an ultra bright LED and illuminates the nick.

Looks 1337

With my new computer its gonna be heavilty modded :D

Huy

HSC
N/A
*thinks back to the time Winston spoke about charging for CD-ROM installations + pricing*

:D

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
*thinks back to the time Winston spoke about charging for CD-ROM installations + pricing*

:D
heh yeah! Harvey norman cant forget that

something arund $280 for a drive to be installed and it says Quick install u can pick it up in 2 days lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)