• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

internal rankings question (1 Viewer)

SophJI

HSC
ok i stuffed up economics so bad that my final ranking is 27/45

in the school assesment mark
would i be getting a lower mark than the people in front of me?
even if i do better then them in externals??
so no matter how hard i study for the hsc..i would be getitng a lower mark than the 26 people in front of me in the internal mark??

the percentage gap are really close in the ranks

Last edited:

youngminii

Banned
HSC
If you do really well, you'll get a really good mark. It's that simple.

SophJI

HSC
If you do really well, you'll get a really good mark. It's that simple.
i; m talking about the internal school assesment marks
r u saying external mark can influence internal marks??
my friend said internal marks are based on rank and how the grade performs in the hsc
i'ms oo confused

HSC
i think it is like what you get in your external is half of your HSC mark. The other half is from the moderated mark that you get due to your rank in your school. It doesnt mean you've failed. Depending on how smart the guys in your economics class, they can scale your internal moderated mark, but yeh you will be capped up those 26 people, so your maximum internal is below the 26th person but above the 28th person. They add this internal moderated mark and your external exam mark to get an average = your hsc mark for that subject.

hope this helps. plz dont flame me if i get it wrong but i think this is how it works. >.<

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
i think it is like what you get in your external is half of your HSC mark. The other half is from the moderated mark that you get due to your rank in your school. It doesnt mean you've failed. Depending on how smart the guys in your economics class, they can scale your internal moderated mark, but yeh you will be capped up those 26 people, so your maximum internal is below the 26th person but above the 28th person. They add this internal moderated mark and your external exam mark to get an average = your hsc mark for that subject.

hope this helps. plz dont flame me if i get it wrong but i think this is how it works. >.<
You've got the basic principle, but only UAC (not BoS) scales marks and they only scale the final overall mark - you mean align.

If the gaps are really small between the ranks, that's good news for you. It just means that although you will get the 26th highest moderated internal mark (based on the gaps between the ranks and the highest HSC exam mark) as your rank, as the ranks are small it might only be a few marks lower than say the internal mark the 20th ranked person got. This mark becomes you internal mark.

Your aligned mark for the HSC exam you will keep as your external mark and this is added to your internal mark and averaged to get your HSC mark for that subject. As the final exam mark is an average of your internal and external mark, if you get a high enough external mark than the people in front of you then you might actually receive a final subject mark HIGHER than some of the people ranked higher than you.

So don't give up hope - work hard to ace the HSC exam :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)