Interview (1 Viewer)

sweet_chick

HSC
i got a 1st round interview at UNSW but i missed it cause i was hospital but i was given an interview in december.

What sorta things do they ask?

I feel totally unprepared, im the first person from my school to apply for medicine in about 20 yrs, so no one has any advice.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It was my understanding that interviewees were contractually bound not to disclose the content or nature of questions from the interview.

Of course, practice is highly variable between institutions.

hsoy711

HSC
They ask you personal stuff, like childhood relationships. Transitions from primary school to high school.

If you are from an unrepresented school you should emphasise that, they will love you. Also sports, work and stuff.

They are going to basically expand to the CV you gave them. They also ask the obvious, like "why do you want to be a doctor?"

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Lexicographer said:
It was my understanding that interviewees were contractually bound not to disclose the content or nature of questions from the interview.

Of course, practice is highly variable between institutions.
I understand where you are coming from, but these days with prep courses revealing all these details, i think its fair everyone knows.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
trust me.. there is one course that I know isnt right.. because there is some details that were completely off..

and they have a questionable success rate.. considering ppl that use their service

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Correction, a list was posted.

Specifically, a list of potential questions collected from interviews for Medical and Law programs in the US, augmented by those unique to Australian medical schools (after the binding period).

None of those questions were confirmed as coming from a particular institution, as you seem to imply.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
typical med school questions are easy to find online, but just about all of them will be american medical schools, and their application procedure is quite different (however, more similar to our grad entry than undergrad entry).

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
A very important cultural example is in the American schools it is expected that you discuss your intellectual suitability to medicine - Michelle Au of The Underwear Drawer spoke of how in med school interviews the interviewees would talk about how "they've always been pretty smart, did well at school etc". This aspect does not exist anywhere in Australian medical application procedures. They academia are assessed seperately, and are simply not brought up in interviews. Sure it doesn't seem like a big difference, just something they talk about that we don't, but it reflects a huge difference in the underlying attitudes. American doctors are expected to demonstrate intelligence, Australian doctors are expected to demonstrate humanity.

I must say however, I often wonder how I fooled my interviewers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)