ionic/covalent substances (1 Viewer)

vizman

HSC
hi guys,

just wondering if i could get any tips on how to tell whether a substances are either ionic or covalent from a list etc. sodium fluride, phosphorous trichloride

i know that if it has a prefix like tri - its convalent but anyone else know how?

thanks.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
An ionic bond is formed between a metal and a non-metal. For example, magnesium oxide (MgO) and zinc chloride (ZnCl2) are ionic substances. Ionic bonding involves donating and accepting electrons to achieve the octet rule.

A covalent bond is formed between two non-metals. For example, carbon dioxide (CO) and oxygen gas (O2) are covalent substances. Covalent bonding involves sharing electrons to achieve the octet rule.

Metals are located on the left-hand side of the periodic table while non-metals are located on the right. Transition metals are in the middle. This should help you work out your problems. So as you can see, sodium fluride is an ionic compound and phosphorous trichloride is a covalent compound.

P

pLuvia

Ionic molecules consist of metal and non-metal i.e. sodium fluoride
Covalent molescules consist of both non-metals i.e. phosphorous trichloride

Beat me by seconds :p

Edit:

Also adding, covalent substances are very poor conductors of metal hence the make up of non-metals. Ionic substances are only conductors when in molten form (please confirm me on this please)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)