• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page
  • Like us on facebook here

is 10 units risky? (1 Viewer)

behindthecan28

HSC
my deputy says there are "implications" of taking 10 units, which kinda scared me off. is it really that risky?

i don't understand why you would keep a backup subject and do extra work if you are going to try hard in all your subjects, but i'm taking spanish beginners, so i'm scared i could really stuff up the listening and writing part, which is really the only thing holding me back from dropping

yanujw

HSC
Your school has different objectives to you and are probably more risk-averse. This is a common annoyance to seniors.

From what I've seen, most users on this site agree that the stress of 10u is often overestimated. Assuming you're making an informed decision, you should be alright. However your school may limit you to >10u until Term 1 because they want to monitor your performance.

Jumanah2170

HSC
it really isn't risky like i was determined to keep 12 units then i did chemistry and dropped it beginning of year 12 and it was probably the best decision as i didn't enjoy the subject and was scoring low and now I'm happy with all 5 subjects so when dropping a subject don't just base it soley on the mark but also if you enjoy it or not cause if you don't you will not put effort into that subject. As well as ik people who do 12 units and they clearly neglect one subject and say that it doesn't count and its my lowest so i won't bother studying for it so in reality they are just carrying extra baggage throughout year 12 cause they know one won't count so they don't put effort in when they could just drop the subject and address 5 subjects equally without the extra stress

HSC
I'm thinking of keeping 12 units because
1. even if I had extra time from that one subject I'm probably not going to spend the time studying for the others. I'll just end up procrastinating
2. I do pretty much equally well in all my subjects (except for English) so I really have no way of determining what will end up counting in the end also because I do enjoy them atm maybe won't as I progress but yh.
3. you never know what's going to happen
A lot of people around me are doing 10 units and they are perfectly fine but also that varies from person to person

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)