Is a study timetable necessary? (1 Viewer)

Did you use a study timetable?

• Yes

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Partially/Other

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

souli

HSC
Going into year 11 and all I'm hearing is "have a study timetable".

Is this necessary? I start study/hw at 5 pm and work in Pomodoro on subjects generally (I write a to-do list based on importance when I get home) until dinner and until I go to bed (Usually 10:30).

Do you think I should make a study schedule/timetable? Did you? Did it benefit you?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't use any study timetable

What you are doing currently with the to-do-list is more than enough. Problem with study timetable is it doesn't take into account sometimes you need to do more work for one subject as you have an assignment or exam coming up or you just have more homework.

The main thing that might help people in terms of a study timetable is if they lack self control and so its more structured and they certain goals/aims they can focus on to reduce time wasting.

Other than that I personally don't see the point of having a very strict and structured timetable. The main thing is you are putting a consistent amount of work. If you can do that you will get good marks.

Vall

HSC
During the school year I had a to-do list and regular times to study.
During assessment blocks and leading up to final HSC exams I had a study schedule which I could stick to as no classes meant no hw/ assignments.

Jos:)

HSC
Honestly, a study timetable isn't enough. Put your life on Google Calendar 😂 I put everything I do on Google Calendar (not necessarily planned), but commitments like tutoring, appointments, etc, are good to see there. On google calendar you can add tasks, reminders, and time blocking. I use all for various reasons. I have used this for 2 exam blocks thus fair and in the time between them (about 4 months or so) and it has worked very well. It isn't planning your life/micromanaging it, but it actually gives you the confidence when you have a lot to do that you can see exactly how you will get it done. Personally, I find that my behaviour around studying and for most people in general, work expands to the amount of time you give it (Parkinson's Law). Despite some tasks taking longer, you can really achieve a lot in 1 hour.

Pomodoro... not really a big fan of it. Unless you struggle with anxiety (which then I can understand), you don't need to take a break every 25 minutes. It really disrupts flow. Maybe after 55 minutes you can take a 5 minute break, but I really dont know you how you would use it effectively.

I think a timetable will give you the ability and the confidence to take time out of studying. You can see how it will get done, you have broken the task down and have given yourself a realistic amount of time. You may find you have free time. You can leave your desk and take a productive rest/break for a day or sumn.

Vall

HSC
Honestly, a study timetable isn't enough. Put your life on Google Calendar 😂 I put everything I do on Google Calendar (not necessarily planned), but commitments like tutoring, appointments, etc, are good to see there. On google calendar you can add tasks, reminders, and time blocking. I use all for various reasons. I have used this for 2 exam blocks thus fair and in the time between them (about 4 months or so) and it has worked very well. It isn't planning your life/micromanaging it, but it actually gives you the confidence when you have a lot to do that you can see exactly how you will get it done. Personally, I find that my behaviour around studying and for most people in general, work expands to the amount of time you give it (Parkinson's Law). Despite some tasks taking longer, you can really achieve a lot in 1 hour.

Pomodoro... not really a big fan of it. Unless you struggle with anxiety (which then I can understand), you don't need to take a break every 25 minutes. It really disrupts flow. Maybe after 55 minutes you can take a 5 minute break, but I really dont know you how you would use it effectively.

I think a timetable will give you the ability and the confidence to take time out of studying. You can see how it will get done, you have broken the task down and have given yourself a realistic amount of time. You may find you have free time. You can leave your desk and take a productive rest/break for a day or sumn.
+1 for google calendar (or something similar). I started using it recently but during school I was using my school diary for all that sorta stuff.
With pomodoro I agree that 25min is kinda short but I think that concept of giving yourself limited time (so more time pressure so less procrastination) can be beneficial (but maybe with 45-60min sessions).

souli

HSC
+1 for google calendar (or something similar). I started using it recently but during school I was using my school diary for all that sorta stuff.
With pomodoro I agree that 25min is kinda short but I think that concept of giving yourself limited time (so more time pressure so less procrastination) can be beneficial (but maybe with 45-60min sessions).
The only reason I use pomodoro is because that way I can break up larger tasks into smaller ones:
If I want to do modern greek eg:
25 min: Speaking
25 min: Writing
25 min: Listening.

I just feel like it gets things done faster and I get through more variety of things if that makes sense.

Pethmin

HSC
Uni Grad
Pomodoro just teaches you to procrastinate more. Just beat the urge and get work done(hide your phone), and eventually it will be effortless for you do consecutive time blocks for your subjects.

souli

HSC
Pomodoro just teaches you to procrastinate more. Just beat the urge and get work done(hide your phone), and eventually it will be effortless for you do consecutive time blocks for your subjects.
How long do you usually work for straight?

souli

HSC
How do you actually use google calendar? does it sync over various devices?

souli

HSC
3-4hrs. Its nothing compared to the guys here but its productive enough for me as a yr 10 student.
I usually work roughly four as well and I'm in year 10 too, so don't stress it. Do you use any techniques?

Vall

HSC
How do you actually use google calendar? does it sync over various devices?
yep, they have an app and a website which sync to your google account. Learning how to use it is pretty easy / fast

Pethmin

HSC
Uni Grad
I usually work roughly four as well and I'm in year 10 too, so don't stress it. Do you use any techniques?
I don't employ 'techniques', I just imagine that if I haven't been productive for at least an hr, do I really deserve this cup of coffee or do I really deserve to go on my phone, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)