Is band 6 for physics/ chemistry even possible? (1 Viewer)

OreoMcFlurry

HSC
Hey guys,

I've recently got the "Success-One HSC Physics 2021 edition" and "Success-One HSC Chemistry 2021 edition". These two books have some past HSC papers with replacement questions. I've done a few papers for both subjects, and have been in a complete chaotic stressful state as I don't think I'll be able to get anywhere near my goal for physics and chemistry.

For Physics, my goal is band 6 (ie. 90+)
For Chemistry, my goal is mid to high band 5 (ie. 85-90)

I've done the past HSC papers and have used the raw marks database to see what kind of mark I could expect, and all I've got is a rude shock when I discover that I'm lurking around 83 for physics and maybe 80 for chemistry :(

This actually disappoints me a lot, considering the amount of passion I have for the two subjects and the amount of dedication I put into studying. This has just dumped a truckload of stress on me, and so I just have lost any motivation as I feel like I'm too far from where I want to be.

I highly doubt I could ever get into a band 6 range (very impossible) for any subject and was wondering on whether or not I should just give up?

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
yeah you can, that's why you're doing the papers

what's the point of having those books in the first place if you're going to achieve the goal from the start??? You said you've done a few, which is great because it means you just need to do more to improve.

+ if you give up now you'll just land low 80s at best but if you continue pushing through and aiming for the b6 you'll most likely get within the higher 80s even b6 range. It will pay off

tito981

HSC
Hey guys,

I've recently got the "Success-One HSC Physics 2021 edition" and "Success-One HSC Chemistry 2021 edition". These two books have some past HSC papers with replacement questions. I've done a few papers for both subjects, and have been in a complete chaotic stressful state as I don't think I'll be able to get anywhere near my goal for physics and chemistry.

I've done the past HSC papers and have used the raw marks database to see what kind of mark I could expect, and all I've got is a rude shock when I discover that I'm lurking around 83 for physics and maybe 80 for chemistry :(

This actually disappoints me a lot, considering the amount of passion I have for the two subjects and the amount of dedication I put into studying. This has just dumped a truckload of stress on me, and so I just have lost any motivation as I feel like I'm too far from where I want to be.

I highly doubt I could ever get into a band 6 range (very impossible) for any subject and was wondering on whether or not I should just give up?
You are doing well, especially since we are still a while away from HSC. All that matters is that internally you do well in terms of rank, and by the time externals happen you can easily get into high 80s to low 90s raw mark wise.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,

Well in Physics an 83/84 usually goes up to a band 6 mark. You're very close, now is the time to study hard and clutch it. Especially this close to the end don't let your hard work up to this point go to waste.

OreoMcFlurry

HSC
Well in Physics an 83/84 usually goes up to a band 6 mark. You're very close, now is the time to study hard and clutch it. Especially this close to the end don't let your hard work up to this point go to waste.

I'm getting low 70s raw mark atm for past hsc physics exams (with replacement questions). Idk if there's enough time to suddenly just improve and get 80s raw for physics though.

osciggyz

HSC
I'm getting low 70s raw mark atm for past hsc physics exams (with replacement questions). Idk if there's enough time to suddenly just improve and get 80s raw for physics though.
Its not over till its over, you still got the HSC to smash it. Good luck

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Helpful said:
In Y 11 Doing maths advanced and expect 98 scaled. Definitely doing ext 1. If I get 98 should I bother with ext 2 or just bank the high mark and stop at ext 1? Concerned I would give up a high mark and do worse in ext 2. Also would have more time next year if not doing ext 2. What should I do ?
I believe that there are two factors to be considered if you wish to make a more informed decision:
  • Your performance potential in Mathematics Extension 2 - 98 in Mathematics Advanced is obviously an excellent mark and would make an outstanding contribution to your ATAR. The main question that you should be asking yourself in such a case is whether you strongly feel you can perform at a level that would be equal to or exceed a 98, which implies the need for a high band E4. Mathematics Extension 2 is more demanding than Mathematics Advanced by nature and it would therefore be more difficult to perform at such a high level.
  • Relevance of Mathematics Extension 2 to future studies - Is taking Mathematics Extension 2 necessary for future studies, or are you thinking of taking this subject out of passion/interest? If the latter applies, I think it would be better to keep your result in Mathematics Advanced instead of taking Mathematics Extension 2 because not only would this require substantial effort and preparation, but you could also allocate the time that you would spend on Mathematics Extension 2 on your other subjects in order to optimise your performance in each of your subjects, which will assist you in ultimately achieving your desired ATAR.
I hope this helps! :D

carrotsss

HSC
Helpful said:
In Y 11 Doing maths advanced and expect 98 scaled. Definitely doing ext 1. If I get 98 should I bother with ext 2 or just bank the high mark and stop at ext 1? Concerned I would give up a high mark and do worse in ext 2. Also would have more time next year if not doing ext 2. What should I do ?
In addition to what @jimmysmith560 said, it’s also worth considering that maths extension 2 is worth an additional unit, meaning that your extension 1 and extension 2 mark are both worth 2 units each. If maths is your strong point (which it seems to be) then this means one less unit of another weaker subject will be counted, which may make a big difference depending on your circumstances.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)