Is it better.... (1 Viewer)

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
Is it better to study for 1 hour, and then have a 5 minute break, or study for 2 hours and have a 15 minute break?

or, are there different optimum studying plans/times for different types of subjects (eg, science, math, english, language, etc)?

pretty.in.punk

Totally The Bomb...
HSC
I'd say go for longer and have a bigger break. Don't be so focused on time though because you'll find that there are certain subjects that require more time than others and so having an individual study plan for your subjects is ideal! That's what i do anyways! The subjects that i actually enjoy are the ones that i easily get "in the zone" for, so i'll find myself studying for a good couple of hours and then i'll snap out of it and take a half hour break.

Write out a detailed study plan with all of the topics you want to cover and the amount of time you are willing to allocate to each individual topic, it'll make it easier for you to study!

ashleypage

HSC
I definitely think longer study time and longer breaks is the way to go, because you'll find an hour goes really quickly and you'll lose your concentration again and again.

I just study and take breaks when I feel like I need to, or finish a certain topic/subject work.

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
hmmm, i dont really set a time limit when studying, i basically set goals or well how many dot points i wish to cover b4 i can take a break that way i can feel satisfied with how much ive done.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Depends on the person.
Yeah. :uhhuh:

I usually study for 4-5 hours at a time and then take a 1 hour break. It works better for me that way :)

Last edited:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
tanjin said:
Yeah. :uhhuh:

I usually study for 4-5 hours at a time and then take a 1 hours break. It works better for me that way :)
When I do actually feel like studying, I get 10 minutes of work done, then 10 minutes, off, then 10 minutes on again, for a period of 2 or 3 hours. I actually manage to get some work done, better than me trying to study straight off for 2 or so hours, which just ends with me getting distracted and whatnot.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
When I do actually feel like studying, I get 10 minutes of work done, then 10 minutes, off, then 10 minutes on again, for a period of 2 or 3 hours. I actually manage to get some work done, better than me trying to study straight off for 2 or so hours, which just ends with me getting distracted and whatnot.
If i study for short periods of time - i learn absolutely shit, however when i get in the study mood, studying for a long period of time looks to be the most effective for me. :)

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
thanks for the replies, guys. very illuminating =)

now, all i have to do is figure out my studying style. ><"

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
ssejamafone said:
thanks for the replies, guys. very illuminating =)

now, all i have to do is figure out my studying style. ><"
What's been the most effective study pattern for you? I mean hasn't there been any times where you've studied a certain way and it paid off?

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
tanjin said:
What's been the most effective study pattern for you? I mean hasn't there been any times where you've studied a certain way and it paid off?
well... umm..... to be honest..... i don't really know....

coz, the last time i actually studied properly was, like, last year for my yr 11 exams... and i've basically been cruising all of this year, not really studying properly, but still doing ok.

so... now i'm all confused, because i really want to try so hard for the coming exams... but, since it's been so long since i last put in some actual effort to study, i don't really know the best way for me to study....

but, i'll work it out soon.

i've already discovered that after 1 hour of study, my mind begins to wander, so i'm guessing i should just study in 1 hour slots.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
ssejamafone said:
well... umm..... to be honest..... i don't really know....

coz, the last time i actually studied properly was, like, last year for my yr 11 exams... and i've basically been cruising all of this year, not really studying properly, but still doing ok.
That's similar to me although i didn't even bother with year 11. I didnt study properly for anything but i've been getting great marks in everything besides math (i fucked up some tests :eek:) but now the hsc is so close- i've lost every study habit that i need to see that i continue with the good marks in the externals...ay..

Good luck with figuring it out though...im sure you'll do fine! :D

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
tanjin said:
That's similar to me although i didn't even bother with year 11. I didnt study properly for anything but i've been getting great marks in everything besides math (i fucked up some tests :eek:) but now the hsc is so close- i've lost every study habit that i need to see that i continue with the good marks in the externals...ay..

Good luck with figuring it out though...im sure you'll do fine! :D

Good luck with your studying too. <(^_^)>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)