Is it possible to get a band 6!!!! HELP PLEASE !!!! (1 Viewer)

flowerp

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone,

I've heard that the gaps between the internal ranks of students at school matter and that the internal gaps are maintained after the school marks are moderated. Is this true? If so, if a person, say, places first and attains 91% (e.g. in physics), and another places around 6th and attains 80%, can the person who came 6th still get a band 6 if the school (ranked around 130) gets around 4 band 6s each year:
2018 - 7 band 6s
2017 - 2 band 6s
2016 - 7 band 6s

????
Also, the person who is first is a complete outlier (the person second is sitting at around 85%)
Thank you very much !!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
The gaps between the ranks are not 'maintained', they are just taken into consideration. This just means the gap between you and the person ahead of you will be similar but not necessarily the same. If first place get's the highest mark of 91%, then everyone else who ranks below him/her will have an internal mark of less than 91%. So if your 6th and you get 80% as your external, it's impossible for you to get a band 6 overall. They only consider a person to be an outlier if their mark is considerably higher or lower than everyone else. In that case it would be even worse for the rest of the cohort.

flowerp

HSC
N/A
The gaps between the ranks are not 'maintained', they are just taken into consideration. This just means the gap between you and the person ahead of you will be similar but not necessarily the same. If first place get's the highest mark of 91%, then everyone else who ranks below him/her will have an internal mark of less than 91%. So if your 6th and you get 80% as your external, it's impossible for you to get a band 6 overall. They only consider a person to be an outlier if their mark is considerably higher or lower than everyone else. In that case it would be even worse for the rest of the cohort.
Ahh I see ... so what raw mark should I aim for in my external hsc to get a high band 5 or low band 6? I understand that such is quite hard considering the circumstance :/

Please let me know for both phys and chem (similar case for chem)

Thanks!

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
It’s hard to say for this year because the syllabus is different particularly for Chem and maybe the raw mark for the externals will be different. However, you can go to a website called rawmarksinfo it has like raw mark to hsc mark for different years to have a general estimate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)