Is it reasonable to get a 95+ ATAR with these subjects and how difficult would it be (1 Viewer)

Tester1212

HSC
My subjects are;
- English Standard
- Maths Stand 2
- Modern History
- Business Studies
- SOR1
- Polish Continuers (2U)

How difficult would it be to get a 95+ ATAR?

Also, when should you start studying for UCAT? A month or two after HSC?

Tester1212

HSC
Yeah, i'd appreciate any resources you could give. Also, what if you do well on the UCAT but don't get a good enough ATAR?

jkjkjk

HSC
Yeah, i'd appreciate any resources you could give. Also, what if you do well on the UCAT but don't get a good enough ATAR?
ucat, atar and interview are weighted equally. although some (if not most) unis have minimum atars. some unis do not consider ucat at all and only go by ur atar e.g. (USYD 99.95 atar)

idkkdi

HSC
My subjects are;
- English Standard
- Maths Stand 2
- Modern History
- Business Studies
- SOR1
- Polish Continuers (2U)

How difficult would it be to get a 95+ ATAR?

Also, when should you start studying for UCAT? A month or two after HSC?
sorry to break your little bubble m8, but 95 ATAR is insufficient for med unless you get bonus points for being rural or smth.

jojosiwa123

HSC
If that happens there’s a low chance you’ll get an offer that year, you should take some time to look up all the pathways to med, a lot of people do the ucat again during a gap year, do graduate med etc.
as for getting a high atar- you might want to take a look at how scaling will affect your mark, I noticed you’re doing generally low scaling subjects. it’s definitely possible to still get a high atar with your subjects but you’ll have to get very high marks esp in maths + eng standard.

jkjkjk

HSC
sorry to break your little bubble m8, but 95 ATAR is insufficient for med unless you get bonus points for being rural or smth.
adding to this, remember that ur competing w ppl who have started ucat practice from as early as year 10, giving them almost 2 years more experience with the questions than you. and considering u havnt started prepping, remember that ucat is one of the hardest exams for a reason, its very hard to rote learn (basically impossible id say). also if u were going to get in w a 95 atar, youd probs need to be in the 100th percentile or 99th percentile for ucat, even then it may be unlikely.

jojosiwa123

HSC
adding to this, remember that ur competing w ppl who have started ucat practice from as early as year 10, giving them almost 2 years more experience with the questions than you. and considering u havnt started prepping, remember that ucat is one of the hardest exams for a reason, its very hard to rote learn (basically impossible id say). also if u were going to get in w a 95 atar, youd probs need to be in the 100th percentile or 99th percentile for ucat, even then it may be unlikely.
hmm it’s true that some people have been prepping for a long time... but ucat can’t be rote learned as you said. some people get the gist of things in just a few months, in the UK (they have the UKCAT) people do well after spending 2-3 weeks (not that I recommend that at all lol).
but tbh I would recommend OP to look more into medicine as a course and as a career bc idk it seems like they haven’t yet

jkjkjk

HSC
hmm it’s true that some people have been prepping for a long time... but ucat can’t be rote learned as you said. some people get the gist of things in just a few months, in the UK (they have the UKCAT) people do well after spending 2-3 weeks (not that I recommend that at all lol).
but tbh I would recommend OP to look more into medicine as a course and as a career bc idk it seems like they haven’t yet
i agree but last year australia and nz adopted the ucat instead of the umat, BUT they had a higher percentage of students who did better at the test than the uk, who have been doing this test for the last 15 years. this is because its not about rote leaning, which the uk do (going through tons of questions). instead its about understanding the methods behind answering these questions which takes time to learn (hence giving those who started earlier more of an advantage) so in a sense u shouldnt rote learn it but rather try to understand how THEY want you to think. so yeah, time you spend learning the methods undoubtedly plays a big factor. and then it also comes to the speed that u need to answer the questions accurately which is just a whole other story.

jkjkjk

HSC
As long as you start 3-6 months before depending on skill level, you should be fine
hmm interesting approach, most ppl that got into med who i know of would disagree but might work for some ppl ig.

Tester1212

HSC
My goal is UNSW, they state 96 min. so I guess about 97 to be safe

jkjkjk

HSC
if u have a look at this, the median atar is 99.45 and the median selection rank is 99.65.

Tester1212

HSC
Yep, looks like thats the go. I was just unsure if thats reasonable with my subjects but I guess I will just need to get high enough marks and it would be, because all other people I see getting 98+ ATARs do advanced maths/english + ext. subjects too.

jojosiwa123

HSC
it doesn’t really matter when u start studying just try your hardest... it’s not really the end of the world if you have to do it again next year. and you can also apply to unis which don’t require it, it doesn’t matter what uni you go to in the end as long as you get the degree

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)