Is it recommended to do 12 units with a language in Yr 12 (1 Viewer)

piedpiper322

HSC
I'm currently going to do 11 units (doing a 1 unit filler), with a language (german) in Year 12. I am considering if I should do SoR I to round out 12 units. Should I do it?

Mikunnn~

HSC
What subjects exactly are you doing now, and what subjects are you planning to do? Any sciences, histories, arts, etc.? This will be important as 12 units can been quite a heavy workload for some - not all- people.

piedpiper322

HSC
What subjects exactly are you doing now, and what subjects are you planning to do? Any sciences, histories, arts, etc.? This will be important as 12 units can been quite a heavy workload for some - not all- people.
Yeah I'm currently doing Ext 1 Maths, Adv English, Chem, Phys, German and Photography; do you think the workload could be too high? I hear that languages are generally high-risk, high reward subjects

Mikunnn~

HSC
Yeah I'm currently doing Ext 1 Maths, Adv English, Chem, Phys, German and Photography; do you think the workload could be too high? I hear that languages are generally high-risk, high reward subjects
"High-risk, high-reward" is a term that gets thrown about here and there without really any meaning or purpose. Generally, the two rules with any subjects are:
  1. If you work hard (or rather, hard and smart), you will do well.
  2. If you like a subject, you'll usually do well in it (unless of course, you like the subject because you bludge all day haha)
That being said, there is scaling and all that, which is important, but not everything.

Physics and Chemistry can be pretty demanding, especially in the coming years. Not sure about photography but I think that's more focused on the quality of your work, rather than how much knowledge you know...?

My advice is to drop to 10 units - it'll be easier on yourself. If you really like German, take it! I would also advise you to pick up 4u maths (if you're good at it), and you can decide between chem, phys, and photography.

Haha, 13 units must be tough. Handling the workload well?

piedpiper322

HSC
"High-risk, high-reward" is a term that gets thrown about here and there without really any meaning or purpose. Generally, the two rules with any subjects are:
  1. If you work hard (or rather, hard and smart), you will do well.
  2. If you like a subject, you'll usually do well in it (unless of course, you like the subject because you bludge all day haha)
That being said, there is scaling and all that, which is important, but not everything.

Physics and Chemistry can be pretty demanding, especially in the coming years. Not sure about photography but I think that's more focused on the quality of your work, rather than how much knowledge you know...?

My advice is to drop to 10 units - it'll be easier on yourself. If you really like German, take it! I would also advise you to pick up 4u maths (if you're good at it), and you can decide between chem, phys, and photography.

Haha, 13 units must be tough. Handling the workload well?
Just to clarify, I'm doing 12 units right now but photography (1 unit), is a filler and can't be done in Y12. You are correct though, the workload would probably be too much (doing 2 sciences and 3U maths). Useful advice though :)

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
I don't know your situation but if you already know the language like many people who "study" a language then I consider it stupid to drop a subject. With prior knowledge of the language it takes up so little effort that you're already on 10 units and if you drop a subject it's like going down to 8, you don't need to drop to 8 because there are people who do 10/12 even 14 who get really good ATARs and manage their time and study well so I would say in that scenario you just need to try harder to get work done.

If you don't already know German, disregard everything I said.

dasfas

HSC
Just to clarify, I'm doing 12 units right now but photography (1 unit), is a filler and can't be done in Y12. You are correct though, the workload would probably be too much (doing 2 sciences and 3U maths). Useful advice though :)
4u maths is significantly more work than 3u maths, would recommend languages as it's a bludge (provided you've been doing it for the past few years)

piedpiper322

HSC
I don't know your situation but if you already know the language like many people who "study" a language then I consider it stupid to drop a subject. With prior knowledge of the language it takes up so little effort that you're already on 10 units and if you drop a subject it's like going down to 8, you don't need to drop to 8 because there are people who do 10/12 even 14 who get really good ATARs and manage their time and study well so I would say in that scenario you just need to try harder to get work done.

If you don't already know German, disregard everything I said.
I wasn't going to drop a subject, but I wanted to know if doing 12 units with a language (continuers) is recommended vs doing 11 units with a language in Year 12 (which I am currently going to do), as I hear they can be high-risk high-reward subjects (is that true?). If so, I would need to switch to SoR for 12 units.

piedpiper322

HSC
4u maths is significantly more work than 3u maths, would recommend languages as it's a bludge (provided you've been doing it for the past few years)
Haha I don't think I'm good enough for 4u

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)