Is it too late? (1 Viewer)

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
Hey everyone,
I'm going to begin year 10 this year and just realized that you could accelerate a Preliminary subject in year 10. I don't know if my school accepts it, but if they do, how does it work (does it like replace an elective subject)?
Also I was wondering if it is too late if i am going to start Year 10 this year and haven't asked my school yet?

I would really appreciate everyone's opinion,
Thanks. :(

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
What are your reasons for accelerating? From what I know, accelerating a subject in year 10 means either morning/afternoon classes or an elective being replaced

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the most definitive answers to your questions can be found by waiting for two more weeks until school starts and asking your school teachers and or/principal:)

T-R-O-L-O-L

HSC
Thanks guys, but I just wanted to know how it works. Like would you have to join with the cohort above my years classes based on what subjects I do?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
in my school, acceleration was for yr 9 and 10 that could accelerate chemistry. the accelerated classes finished all syllabus work by the ends of term 3 and term 4 was for chemistry

Examine

same
HSC
Hey everyone,
I'm going to begin year 10 this year and just realized that you could accelerate a Preliminary subject in year 10. I don't know if my school accepts it, but if they do, how does it work (does it like replace an elective subject)?
Also I was wondering if it is too late if i am going to start Year 10 this year and haven't asked my school yet?

I would really appreciate everyone's opinion,
Thanks. :(
What subject are you planning to accelerate? Usually schools who do provide the option have a program which provides you the option to accelerate so unless it is Maths and you have demonstrated a really strong aptitude for the subject, it's most likely that they won't allow you to if there isn't a program available.

Last edited:

Thief

!!
HSC
Usually the school does it for a whole class of kids in something like IPT.

Unless you're a super genius and you don't feel that you're being challenged by the year 10 curriculum (like for maths or something) then I doubt that your school would let you accelerate a class by yourself.

T-R-O-L-O-L

HSC
Okay thanks guys for the input, I might just ask when I get back from school to see what happens.

DLMisme

HSC
in my school, acceleration was for yr 9 and 10 that could accelerate chemistry. the accelerated classes finished all syllabus work by the ends of term 3 and term 4 was for chemistry
Your school offered accelerated chemistry?! Damn, I would've loved that if my school offered it! (Still a bit sad I'm missing out on it) The only accelerated course I was offered was hospitality or something -_-

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Your school offered accelerated chemistry?! Damn, I would've loved that if my school offered it! (Still a bit sad I'm missing out on it) The only accelerated course I was offered was hospitality or something -_-
Unfortunately it was for the yr group below ours and i think we also had a vote between physics and chem and our cohort chose phys but the teacher didnt have time to teach accelerated students. >:O

ShadowLighte

HSC
Mine has only accelerated maths and yeah, starts in year 9 and they learn a year ahead and do their own year 9 exams as well as the year 10. Usually the top maths class is considered accelerated and yes, they had a class three days/ week before school for one period/ 40 minutes,

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
@op. To my recollection, you can only accelerate if your school offers it, the times are usually before or after school hours, dependant on your teacher and it depends if your school wants you to study your syllabus in advance but my school made me study topics that were in terms 2 and 3 when I first started. Why are you so keen to accel for year 10? means 1 less year of absolute freedom. dead-set op, I dropped because I didn't want an additional year of stress.

Erinaceous

HSC
My school offers accelerated maths. Basically they just chose the top 60 kids in year 8 for maths. In year 9 they kicked out the bottom 30 kids rendering only 1 class of accleration and one class of extension (extension does the same work as the normal classes, only with some added content. They don't accelerate). Whoever doesn't pass a test or scores really badly then further gets kicked out the class. Alternatively you can chose to leave if you think it's too hard. You do your HSC in year 11 and do prelims in year 10. I'm not aware that there are any further morning or afternoon class in my school, since we make the acclerated kids take the HSC when they're in year 11 in stead of year 12. Some schools make their accelerated classes take the HSC when they're in year 10, i.e NSG w/ IPT last year.

On the other hand, the maths accleration program has changed since I was in year 8 in my school :) I think they only take the top 30 kids in year 8 for accleration rather than bother to make 2 accelerated classes before kicking the bottom 30 to an extension class. Hope this helps :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)