Is it worth changing schools? (1 Viewer)

randomuser31

HSC
I am in Year 10 and have just picked my senior subjects recently. I've wanted to change schools for sometime now and I wanted to see everyone's opinion. My school is pretty bad, only 5% of students are in the top quarter and around 45% are in the bottom quarter. I want teachers that care (some of them in my school do), students that I can hang out with and talk maturely to. I just feel like I need something more challenging and I would also like to participate in more challenges (science challenge for example) Is it worth changing schools at this point? I have great semi selective school near me but they don't accept right now it seems. The nearest non selective government school would be around 30 minutes away with public transport. So yeah, what should I do?

blackbird_14

HSC
If you can get into a selective school, then great, but be aware that you'll probably be at the very bottom of your grade, and you'll take a lot of time to climb up those ranks again. More spots open up for year 11, so maybe try for those ones. You basically have to reestabilsh yourself in your new school, if you move, along with finding friends etc.

If you really think that you could do better in a different school, then have a look at options, and weigh them up against paying for tutoring, which in that case, it doesn't really matter which school you go to (but you wouldn't have the extra circulars you're talking about).

I'm not sure what your current travel time is, but if 30 minutes away is bus, then enjoy getting angry whenever's there's traffic/no buses, but commuting there and back every day does take energy and time away, and time to adjust to. Speaking from a person who went from a 3 minute train ride to a 60-90 minute trip home, this is probably a factor you want to think about.

neobility

HSC
This may be an issue because many selective schools have already had their YR11 Entrance Exam, I know that the cutoff for application was 29th July 2017 for Y11S in 2018. Your situation sounded like you preferred trying for a selective school rather than a non-government. Nonetheless, a government non-selective school is not a bad option too. I cannot give you much on non-government schools as I attend selective, however keep in mind these factors:
Family and Friends- Are your family supporting your desire to move? Does your family have the necessary backing to help you achieve maximum success? Are you willing to leave friends behind?
Transport- Are you willing to use Sydney Trains & Buses as a primary Transport option? Allow plenty of extra time as they are never on time
Social Groups- As it is Year 10 and halfway through High School, it may be hard to find a suitable friendship group as many would be close knit and thus would take an ample amount of time to fit in
School: Have you done background research on what the school offers? Extracurricular activities? Known reputation in sports? Good performer in competitions?
Coaching: Are you willing to spend time learning content you may not have covered? Are you able to keep up with the workload assigned? Are you willing to work off the syllabus and memorise the points by heart? I know that the syllabus 5.1-5.3 is used throughout the state, check what syllabus your school follows as well.
Positions: This may not be as true in non gov schools, but it would be hard to gain an executive/Prefect role if you are new. This is because the cohort has not seen what you are capable of and do not know your experiences. Are you willing to establish a clean, solid reputation if you want to pursue one of the leading roles?

Best of luck in the future

randomuser31

HSC
This may be an issue because many selective schools have already had their YR11 Entrance Exam, I know that the cutoff for application was 29th July 2017 for Y11S in 2018. Your situation sounded like you preferred trying for a selective school rather than a non-government. Nonetheless, a government non-selective school is not a bad option too. I cannot give you much on non-government schools as I attend selective, however keep in mind these factors:
Family and Friends- Are your family supporting your desire to move? Does your family have the necessary backing to help you achieve maximum success? Are you willing to leave friends behind?
Transport- Are you willing to use Sydney Trains & Buses as a primary Transport option? Allow plenty of extra time as they are never on time
Social Groups- As it is Year 10 and halfway through High School, it may be hard to find a suitable friendship group as many would be close knit and thus would take an ample amount of time to fit in
School: Have you done background research on what the school offers? Extracurricular activities? Known reputation in sports? Good performer in competitions?
Coaching: Are you willing to spend time learning content you may not have covered? Are you able to keep up with the workload assigned? Are you willing to work off the syllabus and memorise the points by heart? I know that the syllabus 5.1-5.3 is used throughout the state, check what syllabus your school follows as well.
Positions: This may not be as true in non gov schools, but it would be hard to gain an executive/Prefect role if you are new. This is because the cohort has not seen what you are capable of and do not know your experiences. Are you willing to establish a clean, solid reputation if you want to pursue one of the leading roles?

Best of luck in the future
Thanks for the reply. I am finding trouble picking a selective school because as you said most of them are not accepting anymore.

neobility

HSC
Unfortunately, all of them have been closed. :( Maybe if you try your luck in a partially selective school you can achieve what you want?

randomuser31

HSC
Unfortunately, all of them have been closed. :( Maybe if you try your luck in a partially selective school you can achieve what you want?
Do partially selective schools accept out of area applications right now? How do they work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)