is pharmacy a good career path (1 Viewer)

monopoly73

HSC
i've heard some really bad things about the pharmacy career path but i was really hoping of doing it as i am interested in the subject.
but i heard that there are no jobs in this industry and the degree isnt worth anything.
so should i still aim to do pharmacy or change my goals

bangladesh

HSC
yea i'd advice not to lol. my bio teacher in highschool was a pharmacist who quit because the job market was that bad

astroman

HSC
it's not the best, i believe their is a thread on BOS hating against it lol and hear that the pay after getting a B.Pharmacy is low like $15phr

HSC
it's not the best, i believe their is a thread on BOS hating against it lol and hear that the pay after getting a B.Pharmacy is low like $15phr
Pay is not 15 an hour lol...

But yeah OP, too many pharmacists, not an ideal field to get yourself into.

monopoly73

HSC
only if you want to do research
what about clinical pharmacy or community pharmacy.
if not is there any other job where you do medical type of research,
if not my second choice was maybe a engineer or teacher

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Pharm then engo or teacher, damn those are really unlike each other lol.

Medman

HSC
People giving advice have no idea about this. I have 3 pharmacist friends now doing medicine. One has a pharmacist license. Finding a job isn't hard if you have experience. This is true for every single job in the market. If you don't do internships and gain the experience whilst at university you WILL HAVE A HARD TIME FINDING A JOB BECAUSE YOU HAVE BEEN LAZY. Getting a degree now is not the only thing you should be doing at university you should be diversifying and expanding your skill set.

You don't get paid $15 because it is under the minimum reward. You will be paid around ~$25 if you want to work at huge pharmacy companies that run chain stores. My friend works on weekends and he gets paid ~$40+ per hour.

Clinical pharmacist jobs are harder to find because hospital jobs are much fewer. My friend currently working in Westmead has on call as well but gets paid around ~$50k a year. The job is stressful but may be more interesting compared to a community pharmacist.

My two cents is that hardly anyone ever knows what they want to do as a career. What sounds good now may turn out to be what you dislike in the future.

astab

HSC
N/A
Hey.

I heard that pharmacy at USYD will only be postgraduate from 2016; the year you'll start uni!

There are other places you could go to, like Orange. I have a few family members in pharmacy. They enjoy it - there's more freedom to start your own business and job prospects are pretty high. But salaries have dipped in recent years, so its advised you establish your own store once you graduate.

Regards.

Medman

HSC
Hard to establish your own store without capital and competing in certain areas is difficult given the conglomerates that have taken over urban areas. Rural would be a different story though.

glache

HSC
N/A
Saw this article:

Guild pushes decrease in penalty rates

7 January, 2015 Christie Moffat 59 comments

Latest News
Pharmacy location rules “labyrinthine”: tribunal
Renewed calls for electronic monitoring of meds
Penalty rates deter services and jobs: Guild
Statins definitely work for both sexes
Pharmacy on Social Media

The Pharmacy Guild of Australia has submitted a formal request to the Fair Work Commission, calling for a decrease in penalty rates.

In a letter to the Commission lawyers representing the Guild said they were seeking a decrease in the penalty rates payable on weekends and on public holidays.

The Guild estimated that it would call up to 50 industry witnesses to provide evidence.

The letter included an estimation that the hearing of evidence could last anywhere between 10 and 16 days, accounting for 5-8 days of common evidence and 5-8 days of specific community pharmacy evidence.

The Commission is carrying out its compulsory four-yearly review of modern awards, including the Pharmacy Industry Award 2010 which dictates penalty rates for pharmacy staff.

The Guild’s lawyers said they anticipated being in a position to file a draft determination in late March, and then file submissions and evidence in late June.

The submission follows a meeting between the Guild and Professional Pharmacists Australia (PPA) in November last year, where the two groups discussed future changes to the Pharmacy Industry Award.

At the time PPA opposed any reduction in penalty rates and said the current model was not working for 20,000 employed pharmacists, as well as some owners.

PPA had not responded to inquiries at time of publication.
You need to be a registered member to log in, which I am. I would strongly advise against pharmacy unless you either have significant family backing to own your own pharmacy, or are prepared to go rural, period--metro hospitals and retail pharmacies are oversupplied.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)