Is this a good PIP idea or not?? (1 Viewer)

allzy

HSC
I keep changing my mind about what topic to do for my PIP, and I need to come to a conclusion cos my class is doing a progress assignment, due in 5 days!
I was thinking of doing a study on 'The Big Issue' which is a magazine thing sold by disadvantaged people...dunno if anyone has heard of it.
Anyway its is what I really want to do, and if anyone has any suggestions at all about how to make it a strong topic, and what to use as a cross cultural comparison, it would be much appreciated!
Thanks all :)

PS how do I delete my old thread?!

HSC
I think if you are really passionate about it you could make it work. Of course doing a PIP on The Big Issue Magazine in itself wouldn't make a good pip. What is it about the magazine that you wish to research? How does a study of the magazine convey interactions between persons, environments, cultures and societies over time (as well as other society and culture concepts)?

You could use The Big Issue as a starting point to explore attitudes towards homelessness, using the cross cultural component of homeless vs. non homeless persons, if you think you can pull that off ethically. It would be good if you can convey why this topic specifically appeals to you e.g. are you interested in social justice, or know someone who experienced temporary/long term homelessness?

Whilst you could use The Big Issue as a primary focus you could also use it for content analysis and compare it to a more popular magazine or something.

Talk to your teacher about it and hopefully they can help you. Without you knowing much direction of your PIP I don't think I can offer any more advice but I hope it helps anyway, good luck:)

JesseMatheson

HSC
I agree with the comment above.. you can use The Big Issue in your PIP but it can only be a small part of your PIP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)