• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

is UNSW really religious????!?!?!? (1 Viewer)

Daedalus

is UNSW really religious????!?!?!?

as i wandered around during hte open day all the notice boards were filled with religious stuff (one has to wonder at the logic of filling hte whole board with the exact same poster)

and then all the colleges but the UNSW ones are religious, with regular sermons!!!

is it UNSW, or unis in general?

if its the latter, is UNSW particularly religiosu when comapred to others such as USYD or ANU?

thanks

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
No, we aren't super religeous ...

There are religeous groups, but they arn't dominating ...

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
"the encouragement of and provision for both personal growth in and corporate expression of the Christian faith"

quote from New College

EDIT: this is the college with weekly seminars

maniacguy

the entire noticeboard? University regulations say they can only fill up 1/3 of it... CBS for example is usually pretty good at judging what 1/3 of a noticeboard is...

SoFTuaRiaL

there was this stall in front of the lib early this week which had something along the lines of "what do muslims think of christianity?" :confused:

Daedalus

Originally posted by McLake
No, we aren't super religeous ...

There are religeous groups, but they arn't dominating ...
what do u mean by not dominating? are they <15% of the uni population?

how bout when compared to usyd, are there more or less religious groups

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I was stunned when I went to UNI...almost everyone in my course seems to spend half their lunchtimes going to this bible studies thing. Not that theres anything wrong with that, but I was just surprised with just how many people are so involved in it!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Daedalus
what do u mean by not dominating? are they <15% of the uni population?

how bout when compared to usyd, are there more or less religious groups
I don't know, people don't walk around campus with "I'm religious" written on there forhead ...

kaseita

nah, not dominating as in they impress their ideas on everyone

there's just alot of them - and cbs in particular tends to advertise itself quite a bit. and I would definitely say much less than 15%

there's like 600 ppl in cbs I think? (or last I heard). but that's not a big number compared to the numbers of ppl who go to uni...

I'm a cbser btw.

usyd has its own groups - I think its EU over there (stands for Evangelical Union(?)). don't think its very much different to unsw

da monster - that was an Islam stall. they don't seem to advertise themselves all that often. though I did get approached by a few muslims at usyd the few times I wandered over there.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
EVERYTHING is louder at UNSW. All the clubs and socs advertise themselves far more strongly than at USyd.

HSC
Everytime a bunch of Christians come up to me to have a chat or survey or something, I ask them all sorts of tricky questions, that never get answered...

If they're gonna bother me about my beliefs and push theres on mine, I might as well screw with there heads a little and "preach" some agnosticism them...

kaseita

fair enough
they really shouldn't be approaching if they don't understand their beliefs well enough, or aren't able to answer questions

actually, I got told once that part of that whole approaching business was partly to gain experience about questions that could be asked from ppl like u :p

HSC
Originally posted by kaseita
fair enough
they really shouldn't be approaching if they don't understand their beliefs well enough, or aren't able to answer questions

actually, I got told once that part of that whole approaching business was partly to gain experience about questions that could be asked from ppl like u :p
really?

well once they brought me to their main dude, and even he had some trouble.

the problem with religion is that its irrational (not necessarily a bad thing) and based mostly on faith. If you have a purely rational argument with someone about religion, who knows their stuff, you're going to lose.

kaseita

was this cbs? I know that some of the 'leaders' (they're actually just full-time workers for the group) don't know very much - they're just dedicated

the main guy I don't think would have that much trouble...I would be more surprised that you talked to him actually :). you'd have to go to one of the meetings in order to catch him since his not on campus that often.

actually, a pure rational argument with another person on religion, would end up in a stalemate, since as you say, its based on faith - so it ends up boiling down to me believing my thing, and they believing their thing, and no one budging (or that's what I've experienced).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)