Islamabad 7.6 Earthquake (1 Viewer)

Captain pi

HSC
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200510/s1477755.htm

More than 1,000 feared dead in quake
A major earthquake has shaken cities and villages across the south Asian subcontinent, "wiping out" several villages in Pakistan and leaving more than 1,000 people feared dead.

Officials said heavy damage was expected in northern Pakistan, but details were difficult to obtain because telephone lines were down and mobile networks overwhelmed.

"Casualties will be high... they could be well over 1,000," said President Pervez Musharraf's spokesman, Major-General Shaukat Sultan.

The earthquake, with a magnitude of 7.6, struck at 1:50pm (AEST) and was centred in forest-clad mountains of Pakistani-controlled Kashmir, near the Indian border, about 95 kilometres north-east of Islamabad.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
funny how 1000's of people dying abroad struggles to make the news while some guy who fell down a well in sydney gets into the headlines!

transcendent

HSC
N/A
jake2.0 said:
funny how 1000's of people dying abroad struggles to make the news while some guy who fell down a well in sydney gets into the headlines!
when and how did this happen? it's highly irregular, he should file for worker's comp if he can.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
transcendent said:
when and how did this happen? it's highly irregular, he should file for worker's comp if he can.
it was some dumb ass kid who tripped in his backyard and fell in the well

transcendent

HSC
N/A
why does anyone have a well in there backyard? either they are yet to build their outhouse or they can't afford piped water.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
jake2.0 said:
what if 1000's of people abroad fell into wells instead? would it be more newsworthy?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmmm, god has struck in the islamic lands!!!

Must be a sin to worshiop false gods!

/me waits for kangaroo

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,16863429-37435,00.html
Over 18,000 people have been killed in Pakistan in the huge earthquake that shook parts of South Asia, military spokesman Major General Shaukat Sultan said.

Sultan also said that some 41,000 people had been injured in Pakistan in Saturday's quake which measured at least 7.6 on the Richter Scale.
"More than 18,000 dead and 41,000 injured. Most of the casualties have occurred in Kashmir followed by North West Frontier Province," Sultan said, warning the toll could go far higher.

Meanwhile Indian military officials in the Indian-controlled zone of Kashmir have so far confirmed at least 300 people dead in the region from the quake.

There were also scattered reports of casualties in towns and villages across northern Pakistan, India and southern Afghanistan.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
googooloo, you are one of the lamest posters on this forum. Seriously.
I find it very sad that despite the fact that this earthquake has so far killed as many people as 9/11, the US won't seek justice for those killed by declaring war on the Earth.

No wait.

More seriously... with natural disasters like this, you wonder why we all can't stop blowing each other up. There's enough other threats out there...

I_F

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Indeed, why isnt Bush declaring war on god for killing innocent people?

The concept of an "act of god" is legally enshrined, and would view such a disaster as being the work of god....

Why do we not comdemn him?

studynoob

HSC
N/A
1000 people died in the quake good chances osama bin laden is one of them! YAY! :D

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
18,000 people now feared dead, 41,000 injured, with those numbers probably to rise.

Pakistan says at least 18,000 dead in massive quake

Pakistani military spokesman Major General Shaukat Sultan told Cable News Network (CNN) on Sunday that his government had information on 18,000 confirmed dead and another 41,000 hurt in the quake.

Sultan said it was possible the toll could be much higher and the scale of the devastation was the biggest Pakistan had ever seen, CNN reported.
Six times 9/11. This is insane...

I_F

supercharged

HSC
N/A
When's one of these earthquakes gonna hit the US? Kangaroo said it was going to be soon ;)

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I think San Francisco and California are about two decades overdue for a really big earthquake. I wouldn't be hoping that it'll strike, though, even if we'll see the kind of public reaction that these events deserve and Pakistan probably won't receive...

Deus: Holy cow... 30,000 in Kashmir alone. It's staggering....

I_F

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
EDIT: And fuck guys, it's a natural disaster, get over the fucking thing.

Natural disaster or no, innocent people have lost their lives, children have lost parents, families have lost dependents, and communities have lost leaders and friends. Dying in an earthquake is no different to dying on the front lines, in a restaurant, or from in a terrorist attack.

I_F

supercharged

HSC
N/A
insert-username said:
[Dying in an earthquake is no different to dying on the front lines, in a restaurant, or from in a terrorist attack.
I_F
No, dying in a natural disaster is like dying by pure accident. You can't blame anyone for your misfortune.

Dying on a battlefield or terrorist attack is entirely man made, you have someone to blame for your death....well, you're relatives do anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)