Italiano poco a poco: Music Terms (1 Viewer)

chepas

HSC
I dunno about everyone else, but I always have trouble remembering the Italian in music. So I thought I'd start a glossary thread to which we can all add stuff that we come across. These are expressive techniques, dynamics, playing directions etc. If it communicates a message, it's here! If I get something wrong, yell abuse at me and post a correction and I'll correct it in the OP:

senza sord. (senza sordino) - without mute
con sord. - with mute
sub. (subito) - suddenly
lasciare vibrare - let vibrate
scordatura - abnormal tuning/cello tuning (on strings). tune bottom strings down.
sul ponticello - on the bridge (strings)
con sord. non vib. (con sordino non vibrato) - with mute, no vibration
arco - with the bow/bowed (??)
sul tasto - bow strings on fingerboard

.... :D

geeb

HSC
do we actually need to know that stuff for the aural paper!!! aaaaaaahhhhh
cause i dont know really know any!
our teacher told us just to describe what we heard unless we could actually remeber the italian term,

no matter if its for aural or not, italian terms shouldnt have to be remembered in music!!!!

its a good idea to post this thread chepas cause itd help with comp stuff

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
once there was a question in the Music paper that said 'describe the tempo of this excerpt using appropriate italian terms' or something so yeah... oh and also when your looking for instrumental techniques for a tone colour question its good to know all the italian terms cos then you know what they mean especially cos they like to give you those full weird contemporary pieces with lots of funy techniques in them. Its also good to learn some German and French terms too... i remember getting like Schoenberg excerpts before so yeah...

gen4

hmm

Well i knwo this is suppose to be us makign a heap of terms together but i have a prob i don't ahve a music dictionary..left at my dad's which a long way away..

was wondering If anyone knows any of the followign terms please let me knwo the meaning

HEMIOLA

SUL PONTICELLO

SPICCATO

VOCAL MELISMA

PARALLELISM

MUSIQU CONCRETE

i went on the swight suggest in concept threads which is really good.. however it mentioned these terms which i didn't know.. all help appreciated.. thankyou.

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
gen4 said:
Well i knwo this is suppose to be us makign a heap of terms together but i have a prob i don't ahve a music dictionary..left at my dad's which a long way away..

was wondering If anyone knows any of the followign terms please let me knwo the meaning

HEMIOLA

SUL PONTICELLO

SPICCATO

VOCAL MELISMA

PARALLELISM

MUSIQU CONCRETE

i went on the swight suggest in concept threads which is really good.. however it mentioned these terms which i didn't know.. all help appreciated.. thankyou.
a hemiola is changing from 6/8 to 3/4 so changing metre from duple to triple

spiccato is a string expressive technique its hitting the string with the bow sharply i think

vocal melisma is when u sing one syllable but change the pitch

sul ponticello i think is bowing near the bridge or something

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
are any of you guys doing music 2? If so... do you have any spare notes on core pieces.... coz yeah i'm the only one in my class lol

gen4

Thanks mate.. i am a music two's have milions of notes all in booklets I havnt' read or sumarised any... sorry.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
paralellism, from my understanding, is like organum -- ie, chords which move up and down in the same direction at all times, with the same intervals. basically the chords are PARALLEL to each other.

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
well with less than 48 hours to go GOOD LUCK everybody lets hope its not an evil exam like a couple of past years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)