Its Not a speech, its an interview (1 Viewer)

Foong

I discussed it with friends, teachers, etc and examined the question about the perspective essay and concluded that it is, in fact, an interview (DAMN i did a speech...). Why, the question goes something like "You have been asked to talk an a community radio show called 'Youth in Focus'......"
When you hear that, you might think "Oh, its just a speech since they didn't say anything bout an interview...." But if you think about it, no one talks about a subject on a radio show for more than ten minutes like delivering a speech, cept for maybe when there is an emergency speech being said by the prime minister, etc. PLUS, you ARE NOT the host of the show, you HAVE BEEN ASKED to talk on a show, thus a dj will introduce you to the listeners and then ask YOU questions and you have to reply, thus an interview.

I know, I know, but its a BADLY worded question, like a lot of the questions in the HSC. They should've been more specific, saying that you have been asked to appear on a radio show and will be interviewed about .....(fill in the blanks).

HOPEFULLY a lot of people will do both ways, thus making the board of studies having to change the marking criteria. Anyway I don't think that they will penalise people who did a speech much since I saw on the ESL standards package there was an examplar example which didn't follow the format of a letter(the guy started with Dear Editor, but you need to put the date and address first).

Everyone keep your fingers crossed
I will

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I told everyone so....But they just start arguing with me. I knew it was an interview. I mean what kind of a person would do a speech on a radio that is not even your own show? You are a GUEST, not the HOST.

ToRnaDo

HSC
i dont know...it is a SPEECH thats what i thought..that what my techer said..FORGET ESL all now..it is full of unfair!!!!!!!!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by Foong
HOPEFULLY a lot of people will do both ways, thus making the board of studies having to change the marking criteria.
I can assure you they don't change the marking criteria cos everyone did it wrong.

ToRnaDo

HSC
How come the interviwer know clearly about all the texts u have to refer in your interview..soooo it must be the speech.., right???

It is general idea...even a baby knows it...so dont spend to much time to argue it is a interview or speech/...IT IS A SPEECH hehhehe

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by ToRnaDo
How come the interviwer know clearly about all the texts u have to refer in your interview..soooo it must be the speech.., right???
IS A SPEECH hehhehe
I have no idea what you have just said. It doesn't make sense.

Originally posted by piccaninny
IT IS A SPEECH!!! you have been asked to speak..... in your talk
(why didnt they ask in your interview?)...??
The question is presented in a subtle way. You, as a student should be able to work out which text type to use in your answer. A speech is fine, but generally, speech is NOT used in a RADIO PROGRAM, such as those "Youth in Focus" program. In addition, you are NOT the host of "Youth in Focus", and therefore, you can clearly deduce that there must be a HOST present. AND it is obvious that you, who is doing a talk, is NOT the host. But rather, you are a GUEST, who has being "asked" to do a talk. Surely you cannot barge in and take over the radio program and talk for 10 or 15 mintues!

A transcript of a radio interview is clearly a better text type.

Last edited:

jk

White tiger
Originally posted by Survivor39

The question is presented in a subtle way. You, as a student should be able to work out which text type to use in your answer. A speech is fine, but generally, speech is NOT used in a RADIO PROGRAM, such as those "Youth in Focus" program. In addition, you are NOT the host of "Youth in Focus", and therefore, you can clearly deduce that there must be a HOST present. AND it is obvious that you, who is doing a talk, is NOT the host. But rather, you are a GUEST, who has being "asked" to do a talk. Surely you cannot barge in and take over the radio program and talk for 10 or 15 mintues!

i strongly agree with u survivor though i did a speech ;) but i jst wanna make sum points...

1. i think theres still sum kinda radio program where u just talk without a host or anything...who knows the radio program that the question meant was supposed to be that kinda "talk" in the radio????(no one knows the "YOUTH IN FOCUS" program was to be a talk...thats still highly possible) ..so what u say bout radio program can be kinda generalisation.....but still i guess it is BOS that;s to blame cuz they didn clearly specify bout the question....:mad1:

2. and i guess there wouldn be any disadvantage for people who did either speech or interview as its BOS's mistake (don u think??:D ) as i mentioned above....so letz forget about this esl shit and concentrate on other subs ok??:apig:

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY:D

Foong

Originally posted by Survivor39

Thats what I was saying earlier :)

As for jk's comment, nobodys perfect. They just made a badly written question. Period. They do that a lot of the time (Especially with SDD).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)