itute.com solutions (1 Viewer)

uart

HSC
N/A
itute.com have started to publish solutions from today.

The first one to go up was the Ext. 2 at

http://www.itute.com/wp-content/uploads/2009-nsw-bos-mathematics-extension-2-solutions.pdf

They will probably also publish the Ext. 1, 2 Unit and General ones soon
Hey it looks pretty similar to Terry Lee's solutions. Which would of course be as expected if all the answers were correct, but what if they had an identical answer to Terry and it was one he actually got wrong (well partially wrong anyway). :p

I'm referring to question 3 part (a) (iii) with the sketch of f(x^2). It's not bad and would get you most of the marks, but it has a few small issues that might amount to a loss of a mark. Itute's solution is identical with the same subtle mistakes.

BTW. Here's what the graph should look like (See attachment). Note the two small discrepancies:

1. The location of the maximum should be at x=sqrt(2) instead of x=1 as shown in both Terry's and Itute's soln.

2. The general scaling on the x axis is off. Because x^2 starts out slow the curve will approach the origin horizontally as shown (small x) and will approach the y=-3 asymptote more rapidly for large x.

Last edited:

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
wow, five pages typed. in the exam room, you half know what you are doing and you normally skip a line or two.... so is that like 30 pages?? wow. how many pages do they give you to write your solutions on?

HSC
N/A
Actually, Thuc Tran was the first. His were online at 4:50pm, whereas Terry Lee's was up at 7.21pm on 27th Oct.

So if it's a race to see who can publish first, Thuc Tran is the winner.

Not sure if itute did a copy/paste job from Terry Lee, but if they did, they should acknowledge it. It's a bit rude to steal somebody else's stuff and then claim copyright for it.

Nevertheless, I think all three are generous to offer solutions for free.

I think itute are also good because at the moment they are the only organisation willing to offer free solutions to all 4 exams (General, 2 Unit, Ext. 1 AND Ext. 2).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)