James Ruse Trial - how it should have looked (1 Viewer)

martin

Mathemagician
HSC
This is how the question should have looked, something weird is going on with the database.

Hi.
I did the James Ruse chemistry trial and I've got a couple of questions for anyone who goes to James Ruse.
What was the go with question 28a? You had to choose the gaseous alkane with the highest boiling point (the graph showed methane to octane). The answer given was butane. Is this because butane is gaseous while pentane is liquid? But then what temperature is the line between gas and liquid?
Does anybody have the multiple choice answers, they didn't come with the answers I downloaded.
What was the average/ top / good mark? I reckon I got about 95%, maybe 90% if they were tough with the marking. Where would that have placed me in the genii (if that's the plural of genius) that populate James Ruse.

Thanks in advance,
Martin

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by martin
What was the average/ top / good mark? I reckon I got about 95%, maybe 90% if they were tough with the marking. Where would that have placed me in the genii (if that's the plural of genius) that populate James Ruse.
They were tough with the marking.

Average is in 70's.

I don't believe you got 90-95%. You must be kiddin yourself...

Woops, did I just say that?

I must say they were pretty easy compared to ours.. and our teacher is known for her tough marking through out the board of studies. I think i couldve gotten about 90+ too.

Way too easy compared to our trial. ( Our teacher showed one of the board ofstudy dudes and he laughed at her cuz it was too hard)

spice girl

magic mirror
Then ruse is shit at chem then...

Put it this way, if u got 93, you would have came in the top 5 at our skool

Last edited:

martin

Mathemagician
HSC
C'mon,
thats a bit harsh telling me what I can and can't get. I got 87% in my trial and I've done a bit of work since then, so I don't see why I couldn't. Still I am assuming I got 15/15 for MC :) (anyone got the MC answers?) and maybe they did mark really hard.
Martin

Dumbarse

chemistry is 100% rope learning, its a shit subject, all they are testing is how good our friggin memory is, so bloody what, there are zilch calculations, and 8 mark essays, its a friggin rort.
down with the system damnit!
download ruse paper on this i wanna see it

aby

------------>
About the Ruse paper... i was going through it and the under question 24 answers where it says 'The destruction of the Earth's radiation shield, the ozone layer, exposes the Earth's surface to dangerous levels of ozone which can cause cell damage etc....' , well, shouldn't it be UV radiation rather than ozone?
spice girl, was this already changed on the answers?

superhubert

half way between the gutter and the stars
I'm with dumbass... If our school did that test we would'a averaged about 30%. hardest damn chem test i've ever seen. for multi choice did anyone else get a,c,a,a,c,a,b,b,b,b,b,d,d,c,b? or am i just really stupid? let hope the hsc is as boring and generically easy as the others..... or i'm screwed.

Ozz^E

I havent got the Mc answers as well. But i think we can share wat we get and come up with the final correct 15. SO when uz finish doin the 15 MC quetsion (for the James Ruse 2002 trial) post them up here)...i havent done them yet...prob get them done soon.

spice girl

magic mirror
Let me spoil the fun: here are the answers - I've finally found my marked MC paper, with the answers marked:

A
C
A
A
C

B
C
D
B
C

B
D
D
B
B

Ronnie

Originally posted by aby
About the Ruse paper... i was going through it and the under question 24 answers where it says 'The destruction of the Earth's radiation shield, the ozone layer, exposes the Earth's surface to dangerous levels of ozone which can cause cell damage etc....' , well, shouldn't it be UV radiation rather than ozone?
Hmmm I have not seen/done the Ruse paper....
but from what I understand, Ozone is harmful to humans due to the reactivity of the co-ordinate covalent bond 0=0-0 .... this O radical breaks of from Ozone and attaches itself to our cells which interferes with the way it works .... eg: respiratory problems

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by spice girl
Let me spoil the fun: here are the answers - I've finally found my marked MC paper, with the answers marked:

A
C
A
A
C

B
C
D
B
C

B
D
D
B
B
I got 13/15 right then, that ain't bad ...

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by aby
Yeh, you're right. It's a typo

Ozz^E

well..no need for my aswers now...i got 14 though using spice girls answers...but i dont think 14 is B..should be C..can uuz check that up...?

aby

------------>
The answer for 14 is B, Ozzie, because the atomic mass number has to be 238-4 = 234 (from the 1st equation) to find X...

Mathematician

What i believe about JR Exams!

JamesRuse Exams feel easy to many people who study because the questions they ask are questions that feel to you while studying ,questions that you believe they should ask , in a straight forward manner.
Its tests are more comforting then most of our exams.
In our tests the questions are asked in a secondary implicid way.
Many of you should agree with me that your exams usually ask questions that have only a slight relevance to your study.

I guess what im trying to say is that your study can sometimes account to only 40% of your exam.
Instead the other 60% is focusing on your english explanation skills.
Your Exams never measure your true abilities in the subject and leave you generally dissatisfied after the exam.
Instead the jamesruse exams for physics and chemistry instead is the opposite to ours and to me feels like a good test.

Tip: In Physics and Chemistry exams it is best to use terms relative to your studies.
Leave Lines and make your answers in point form as they are easy to follow and give the examiner an impression that you are clear in your understanding.

The only problem with the JamesRuse Exams are the maths.
Instead i find them EASY.........
The only problem with me in maths is i never finish my tests even though i know all the work from class.
This is because i think about the q for a while before i start writing because if i write i am not sure if i will come with an answer at the end.
Out of all my subjects i am definetely best at math and poor at english. Even to respond here i change my mind quite a while because i think i may give the wrong impression on my view.
I took about 30 mins lol for this response thinking.
:rolleyes: ;)

spice girl

magic mirror
Re: What i believe about JR Exams!

Originally posted by Mathematician

The only problem with the JamesRuse Exams are the maths.
Instead i find them EASY.........
The only problem with me in maths is i never finish my tests even though i know all the work from class.
This is because i think about the q for a while before i start writing because if i write i am not sure if i will come with an answer at the end.
Finding a test easy includes finishing it in the required time!

Besides that, i think the ruse phys paper this year was quite easy compared to chem. Lost heaps of marks though, due to BS questions...

Ozz^E

Originally posted by aby
The answer for 14 is B, Ozzie, because the atomic mass number has to be 238-4 = 234 (from the 1st equation) to find X...

Ummm..wat trial is that from..im talking about the James RUSE 2002 trial where Q14. is about the empirical formulas of polyethene and polyvinyl chloride respectively. In the answers spice girl gave it has 14 as B which is CH2 and C2H3Cl..shouldnt it be B which has (CH2-CH2)n and (CH2-CHCl)n.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)